Newsday: How Jon Ledecky plans to make the Islanders a ‘world-class organization’

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You guys...

The article below is from July 14, 2016 - Just after Ledecky/Malkin took over the Islanders. You seriously have to read it again:

How Ledecky will make Isles ‘world-class’

The quotes are unbelievable, especially given where we are today. Here's a few:

“We should be the world-class destination for free agents. If you think about a [salary] capped world, everybody can spend to the cap and we certainly have no constraints on our GM and our staff to spend. We want to create and continue to progress towards John Tavares lifting that Stanley Cup, so we should be world class in everything we do."

“Let’s get the buzz that you want to be playing for the New York Islanders, because they are a world-class group, world class in the way they travel, where they stay, how they treat the players, the accoutrements of a hockey team. We should make sure our scouting team is the best, that with the things that are not cap-centric we spend intelligently and really provide world-class standards."

“You’re not going to see me sitting in the owner’s box. I’ll be in there [at times], but we’ll use the owner’s box for community. We’re giving away, come sit in the owner’s box, to foundations, to charities, to non-profits. But I want to be out there and hearing what the fans have to say.

“They will come at me and say, ‘How come you traded [Matt] Martin or [Frans] Nielsen or [Kyle] Okposo, and I’m going to say I didn’t trade them. Our hockey people run the hockey. (Those players left through free agency.)"

“Talk to me about other things. Why shouldn’t every game be a playoff game in terms of the experience, in terms of the atmosphere? Why can’t the Long Island Rail Road run the same number of trains for regular-season games as they ran for the playoffs? That’s affecting our fan base. Make that fan base feel that they’re the most important thing."

“That’s what we can influence. But for me to sit here and say that we should trade a goalie or whatever, if I start doing that to Garth and his team, I’ve destroyed the organization and that’s what foolish owners do, and they pay a price for many, many years.

“By the way, this isn’t our first season. It’s our third season, so hopefully we’ve learned something in two years and we don’t make rookie mistakes in our third year.

“I was able to go and talk to 20 [team] presidents the last two years and visit every NHL arena, and I had a list of the best practices of each arena and I’d come back with my group and we’d send that best practices list to Barclays and the organization and say, ‘OK, when it’s our turn, how do we continue to take this data and make the experience No. 1?’”

“I think Garth has put together an organization over time, first with some constraints and now with an ability to spend, that over the last two years was eighth in the league in total points, and he has put together a group that continues to mix and match the players you need to win a Stanley Cup.

“I think what you saw in Pittsburgh this year was instructive. Who scored some of the winning goals? Rookies. Who was the goaltender? A rookie. You look at our farm system, and I know some of you follow our team at that level, I think developing players has been excellent, and I think they’re doing a great job.

“To get in the middle of that and start expressing opinions about this player or that player, that’s a recipe for disaster. You have to support the organization.

“We were talking about stockholders earlier. What’s the standard? We won the first round. We went to the second round. The standard this year has to be, you won the second round and went to the third round. And eventually you have to hoist the Stanley Cup, because that’s what the fans demand. They demand that excellence, on the ice and off the ice.

“The off-the-ice, I can handle, by giving them a great experience. The on-the-ice, that group has to manage that. They have got the insight. They’ve got the experience to decide who plays goalie, who plays on Johnny’s line and stuff like that, not me. That’s a recipe for disaster.

“Each one of you could talk about an owner who came in and completely rearranged the furniture and is paying for it in years and years of poor performance.”

There is so much more in here, but all of it is not good when you consider how he's acting flies in the face of the things he claims he wants. There is nothing first-class about the on-ice product. So you can't claim to want that and not put the right people in charge of it without either being a hypocrite or totally clueless.

But if Ledecky truly believes he answers to us the fans, then it's our job to make sure all of us are heard - Every single one of us.

Reactions: sabremike

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Ledecky is a moron. Wish he bought the team before bill torrey was fired. Imagine having bill torrey for 30 years. Snow would need to miss the playoffs at least 2 more years for a regime change.

Reactions: Dipietro39

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He’s insisting that there is a WORLD CLASS standard here now, that he intends on making this organization world class, and the bar has been raised—2nd round, 3rd etc.

Guess what Ledecky, you have A LOT of work to do, if you weren’t selling us BS.

Periferal, I’d gently challenge him on some of his claims (explicitly spelled out here) in your letter.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Still think we should wait until season ends, if no changes by Tuesday after that last game in Detroit then no changes are coming.

Agreed, but the fact that they haven't been made already probably tells us what we need to know...The same way Tavares not resigning by now also says a lot.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I'm going to see what happens by late July. Just because something doesn't happen immediately doesn't mean it's not going to happen at all. If ownership is planning on making changes to critical personnel, I don't want it to be rushed.

Giving them until the summer is fair.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I'm going to see what happens by late July. Just because something doesn't happen immediately doesn't mean it's not going to happen at all. If ownership is planning on making changes to critical personnel, I don't want it to be rushed.

Giving them time until the summer means giving Snow another draft to screw up.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

If Snow is allowed to conduct a draft where we have 2 top 12 picks and conduct the negotiations with our franchise player and conduct personnel transactions on UFA day, what in the world makes you think that suddenly changed will be made later in the summer?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
If Snow is allowed to conduct a draft where we have 2 top 12 picks and conduct the negotiations with our franchise player and conduct personnel transactions on UFA day, what in the world makes you think that suddenly changed will be made later in the summer?

I think that's a good point. I just don't necessarily think that if the change doesn't occur instantly after the season ends, that it forecloses the possibility of the the change happening at all.

Giving them time until the summer means giving Snow another draft to screw up.

Fair, but if the change happens at all, I'll be ecstatic either way.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
To be fair, they were pretty tied up in securing the new arena and building/improving the practice facility. I don't think anyone would complain about the job they did on either front.

Now, if they go *another* offseason without firing Garth Snow.... all bets are off. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but my patience is running thin.

Reactions: periferal and MJF

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
If JT isn't resigned and walks away for nothing, then Ledecky should either fire with negative recommendations for the back-up-turned-GM and his lackey Headless coach and his incompetent coaching staff or fold the team.

They should have never left John Tavares unsigned past the trading deadline. There is no benefit of the doubt, you don't let your franchise player walk away for NOTHING!!!!!!!

For the last 25 years most of what is left of Islanders Country are burned out and very turned off. Enough is enough!

Reactions: bigtim1988

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I have to think L&M are hearing and reading all the chatter. It's not just a few fans on a message board. Newsday, SNY, the Athletic are all calling for change. There are numerous podcasts and blogs all calling for change. If L&M aren't hearing surely the PR people are. Doesn't anyone think the PR people aren't telling L&M how tough it will be to sell tickets if Snow stays and no changes are made. I would not interpret their silence as an endorsement for Snow. I could be wrong and have no factual basis for my opinion but I sense change is coming.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If missing the playoffs in a year you are expected to take a step forward isn't a wake up call something needs to be changed.... missing it again the following season should be an unmistakable sign. Snow has failed this team in so many ways. He's wasted ELC's of our top players and consistently neglected to improve areas of need (top line wing, defense and goaltending). He's left the future of this team a big question mark on defense and in goal, and quite possibly run the franchise player out of town in the process.

I cannot get excited about this team until that man is fired and a proper team President is brought in that will oversee the long needed rebuilding of this franchises front office.... everyone from the GM, down to the trainers need to be scrutinized and replaced if deemed necessary. The guy who makes the coffee down in Bridgeport needs to have his job evaluated at this point.... a complete enema from top to bottom.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
What if Chris Lamoriello was appointed interim GM and ran the draft? What are people's thoughts on that, and has any other team done that before? I'm done holding out hope that JT will re-sign, so idc about the impact, if any, that would have on him re-signing. OR...if we were to hire a new GM mid-June, would that be enough time to have him (could be a "her" too, because this is the Islanders) ready for the draft?

I'm all for firing Snow and Weight ASAP, but I think we'll have much better options available for President, GM, and coach once the playoffs end.

And for all of you people saying Lombardi and Sutter, the NHL has transitioned from a league where size dominated to a league where speed and skating ability dominate. We have neither, but those guys aren't the answer.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
As early as possible is the right answer but willing to give him to end of April. If somehow TBL/Pitt/Nash got knocked out early, would love to get their AGM, who have seen how the best do their jobs, and I think you have to wait until a teams season is over to begin negotiations. Be great to get someone JT respects, show him the org cares about winning and want guys from current WORLD CLASS ORGANIZATIONS.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
As early as possible is the right answer but willing to give him to end of April. If somehow TBL/Pitt/Nash got knocked out early, would love to get their AGM, who have seen how the best do their jobs, and I think you have to wait until a teams season is over to begin negotiations. Be great to get someone JT respects, show him the org cares about winning and want guys from current WORLD CLASS ORGANIZATIONS.
I don’t think you need to wait in NHL it’s just about the other team giving permission to talk. I seem to remember when Francis got fired in Carolina they asked to interview some of the names out there and they were turned down because those guys didn’t want to interview in Carolina. I seem to remember Tom Fitzgerald being one that turned them down.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
What if Chris Lamoriello was appointed interim GM and ran the draft? What are people's thoughts on that, and has any other team done that before? I'm done holding out hope that JT will re-sign, so idc about the impact, if any, that would have on him re-signing. OR...if we were to hire a new GM mid-June, would that be enough time to have him (could be a "her" too, because this is the Islanders) ready for the draft?

I'm all for firing Snow and Weight ASAP, but I think we'll have much better options available for President, GM, and coach once the playoffs end.

And for all of you people saying Lombardi and Sutter, the NHL has transitioned from a league where size dominated to a league where speed and skating ability dominate. We have neither, but those guys aren't the answer.

The only way I would accept Chris Lamoriello as GM is if his dad was brought here in some capacity.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'd say *if* they don't get rid of Snow, it's a pretty good indication the new owners care nothing about icing a winning team, and only see ownership as another investment opportunity.

Well either don't care or don't know how. Since Ledecky comes off as a "fanboy" anyway, it's certainly possible L&M legit think that snow is doing a good job.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well either don't care or don't know how. Since Ledecky comes off as a "fanboy" anyway, it's certainly possible L&M legit think that snow is doing a good job.

They'd have to be quite ... naive, if that were the case. I know nothing about soccer (football to our European friends), but if I had the money and bought Manchester United, even with my limited knowledge I'd likely think about making a change in management if my team kept failing under the current guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad