Newsday: How Jon Ledecky plans to make the Islanders a ‘world-class organization’

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
They'd have to be quite ... naive, if that were the case. I know nothing about soccer (football to our European friends), but if I had the money and bought Manchester United, even with my limited knowledge I'd likely think about making a change in management if my team kept failing under the current guy.

The Isles are not Manchester United, unlimited money and resources. We are a transient franchise stuck between 2 homes that both suck and our new home years away and still more of fart in the wind than anything concrete.

I think the whole staff should go, but this is an unattractive job and situation. We can throw out names, but no one is coming here. Neither are free agents if JT leaves and we're still unattractive even if he does stay.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Isles are not Manchester United, unlimited money and resources. We are a transient franchise stuck between 2 homes that both suck and our new home years away and still more of fart in the wind than anything concrete.

I think the whole staff should go, but this is an unattractive job and situation. We can throw out names, but no one is coming here. Neither are free agents if JT leaves and we're still unattractive even if he does stay.

My Manchester United analogy was only because I know next to nothing about soccer and just picked the first team that came to mind. It wasn't a comparison of their situations. :D

In any case, I don't think the Islanders would be an unattractive destination for top quality GMs/coaches if the organization was first class. I don't live there, so I don't know. But is Pittsburgh really any bigger/nice/financially wealthier than Long Island/Brooklyn? They're able to attract high end staff because their ownership under Burkle and Lemieux is committed to running a world class organization. The city itself, or the team's ability to generate revenue to compete with the Rangers, Hawks, Kings, etc. is no better than Long Island, no?

Reactions: Hunn

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If this is the case the new owners are going to lose a good part of the fan base.

If people keep renewing their tickets, like I've heard many do here, then those "new owners" are not going to get the message.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They'd have to be quite ... naive, if that were the case. I know nothing about soccer (football to our European friends), but if I had the money and bought Manchester United, even with my limited knowledge I'd likely think about making a change in management if my team kept failing under the current guy.

This is funny/ironic as I know one of the owners of Manchester United. Any suggestions for him?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Going to hold these guys accountable. They don’t fire that fat POS in the next few weeks, I convert from a die hard to casual.

Reactions: periferal

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Agreed, but the fact that they haven't been made already probably tells us what we need to know...The same way Tavares not resigning by now also says a lot.
I think changes are coming, who knows what they will be but Weight doesn’t sound like a guy who doesn’t expect to be back perhaps he will be moved to GM. He never wanted to coach from all we heard and was more interested in management.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Going to hold these guys accountable. They don’t fire that fat POS in the next few weeks, I convert from a die hard to casual.
That's where I am at. I'll no longer live and die by this team, I'll still love them and keep tabs on them but nowhere near as involved UNTIL snow is canned.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
That's where I am at. I'll no longer live and die by this team, I'll still love them and keep tabs on them but nowhere near as involved UNTIL snow is canned.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
.Same here, love the sport will watch other teams with CI package but packing away my jersey's, hats etc...just not worth being a fan of an org who couldn't give a rats ass about the product

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Sort of think this is positive for the hope they will fire him that they are at least considering canning him.

The fact that L&M need to "consider" doing something that is as obvious as washing your hands before you eat is not encouraging.

In fact I think the only reason they are "considering" it is because of the outcry amongst fans to do it.

Reactions: BTrotts19

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The fact that L&M need to "consider" doing something that is as obvious as washing your hands before you eat is not encouraging.

In fact I think the only reason they are "considering" it is because of the outcry amongst fans to do it.
Well also think of it this way as well, they came in team made playoffs and even won a round and then last year they fire crappy to late and just miss playoffs and then this year ends up as a disaster so the team was trending up and there were high expectations for this year. I think he gets fired just my gut feeling.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

It unbelievable when you think that since they announced they would be taking over, they've given that fat POS the right to be a cap ceiling club, he's bungled that while making the team worse, alienated a good portion of the fanbase all because they can't do the f***ing most obvious thing...and not like he's "just had a couple of bad years", 2/3 of his tenure, where more than half the league makes the playoffs.

Just typing this got me even more pissed off, they better f***ing can these guys or I might just package up all my Islander shit and light it up right in front of Barclays next year

Reactions: BelovedIsles

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It unbelievable when you think that since they announced they would be taking over, they've given that fat POS the right to be a cap ceiling club, he's bungled that while making the team worse, alienated a good portion of the fanbase all because they can't do the ****ing most obvious thing...and not like he's "just had a couple of bad years", 2/3 of his tenure, where more than half the league makes the playoffs.

Just typing this got me even more pissed off, they better ****ing can these guys or I might just package up all my Islander **** and light it up right in front of Barclays next year

I hear you brother. You're saying what I'm thinking.

Although probably better to burn your stuff out in front of their houses.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
It unbelievable when you think that since they announced they would be taking over, they've given that fat POS the right to be a cap ceiling club, he's bungled that while making the team worse, alienated a good portion of the fanbase all because they can't do the ****ing most obvious thing...and not like he's "just had a couple of bad years", 2/3 of his tenure, where more than half the league makes the playoffs.

Just typing this got me even more pissed off, they better ****ing can these guys or I might just package up all my Islander **** and light it up right in front of Barclays next year
He will be fired I don’t see how they can justify keeping him

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
He will be fired I don’t see how they can justify keeping him

If you care about the on ice product, you fire him, if you only care about the real estate deal, you only "consider" firing him but end up backing him for "just one more season", then rinse & repeat

we better know in a couple of weeks what these new owners are really passionate about

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Here's an interesting thing that occurred to me...

If you look at the Islanders "Business Directors" on the website it lists the following:

ISLANDERS OWNERSHIP/EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT

Co-Owner and Alternate GovernorJon Ledecky
Co-Owner and GovernorScott Malkin
Co-Owner and Alternate GovernorCharles B. Wang
Co-OwnerDewey Shay
President, General Manager & Alternate GovernorGarth Snow
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The way it's listed with Scott Malkin as "Governor" and Ledecky as "Alternate Governor" it seems that Malkin has the final say. It fits the notion that Malkin is the real money/businessman behind the Isles purchase (who has his own full-time job), and Ledecky who is the "fanboy" who is running the Isles day to day.

If true it would stand to reason that Ledecky would have his finger on the pulse of the team, but need to get Malkin's approval before doing anything involving big money...Like buying out snow's contract. It certainly feels like something like that might be true.

Also I tried to get more information on Dewey Shay, but who is he in this whole equation and how much say does he have? And does wang still get involved with decisions - Directly or indirectly?

Because are there 2, 3, or 4 voices in the room when the Isles try to make a decision? And if they're pulling in different directions then how will anything get done? Seems like they got on the same page with Belmont, but with front office/on-ice moves that's a completely different story.

I mean how can you accomplish so much with Belmont and get an arena project approved in 18 months...And not make one front office move in that time? Ledecky/Malkin identified that Barclays wasn't working and are getting behind a 1 billion dollar project to fix that, but at the same time have determined that nothing in the front office needs fixing?

It's all too unbelievable for words.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lets hope Malkin and Ledecky give Snow a pink slip on April 9, 2018.

What is past is prologue.

After all that's gone down just this past year, the fact that snow is still GM means that it is most likely that he will remain GM.

I'm prepared for it. And assuming so I'd like to see Ledecky/Malkin choke on snow. No more money from Isles fans who care about the team. If that's who you want running your ship, then we're walking...Literally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad