How Important is Toughness?

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
24 jack rabbits on one team, who is going to stand in front of the net or get them the puck?

This hurts my brain...

You realize this roster:

P. Kane - P. Kane - P. Kane

Karlsson - Karlsson
Karlsson - Karlsson
Karlsson - Karlsson

Goalie

Would beat any current NHL team, including the Cup-winning LA Kings, right?
Please tell me you understand that.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
This hurts my brain...

You realize this roster:

Karlsson - Karlsson
Karlsson - Karlsson
Karlsson - Karlsson

Goalie

But we don't have 9 Kanes & 6 Karlssons - you understand this right? Plus, who plays net in this dream world of yours?

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
Way to miss the point.

You don't need a "balanced" lineup with tough guys and grinders. ANY and every team would take a Patrick Kane over any of their bottom 6 players.

Kessel, Kane, and any other small elite player, is infinitely times better on a 3rd/4th line role than any team's bottom six. Why? Because they're better at hockey. Period.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
This hurts my brain...

You realize this roster:

Karlsson - Karlsson
Karlsson - Karlsson
Karlsson - Karlsson

Goalie

That team would get pushed to the perimeter and completely beat to a pulp in a long series against a team with a good combination of size and speed. Please tell me you understand that. But they'd probably get a lot of Corsis from bad areas so somebody somewhere would declare them winners.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
Same reason there's no Colton Orrs or David Clarksons or David Bollands on Team Canada. They suck.

"Role" players are generally bad hockey players that are easily replaced.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Same reason there's no Colton Orrs or David Clarksons or David Bollands on Team Canada. They suck.

"Role" players are generally bad hockey players that are easily replaced.

And yet even with as many options as Team Canada has, they don't put together teams of undersized guys who can stickhandle and skate but who I could knock over. They choose "role players" who also happen to have some scoring ability but have other attributes like size, defensive acumen, forechecking ability, don't play defense like turnstiles, etc.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
That team would get pushed to the perimeter and completely beat to a pulp in a long series against a team with a good combination of size and speed. Please tell me you understand that. But they'd probably get a lot of Corsis from bad areas so somebody somewhere would declare them winners.

That team would hem the opposition in O-zone.

And when it came time to playing Defence, they'd break out so fast the other team wouldn't even know what to do. They'd have the puck and be down the ice before all 5 guys could even enter the zone from a dump-in.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Way to miss the point.

You don't need a "balanced" lineup with tough guys and grinders. ANY and every team would take a Patrick Kane over any of their bottom 6 players.

Kessel, Kane, and any other small elite player, is infinitely times better on a 3rd/4th line role than any team's bottom six. Why? Because they're better at hockey. Period.

And that's why great hockey teams through the ages have always put together small, skilled lines to defend against other teams small, skilled scorers. Oh wait...

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
And yet even with as many options as Team Canada has, they don't put together teams of undersized guys who can stickhandle and skate but who I could knock over. They choose "role players" who also happen to have some scoring ability but have other attributes like size, defensive acumen, forechecking ability, don't play defense like turnstiles, etc.

Being big isn't a bag thing. It's a good thing. But it's not a requirement.

The way you're talking, you'd trade an undersized prime Gretzky for some Probert grit.

Get a clue.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
And that's why great hockey teams through the ages have always put together small, skilled lines to defend against other teams small, skilled scorers. Oh wait...

Kane - Kane - Kane

might be outplayed by Kopitar's line on some nights, but you wanna do a 7-game playoff series?

The other Kane - Kane - Kane lines absolute wreck the others.

It's a team game. I'm saying Team Kane would win some 80s 12-6 shootouts.

You don't need bangers and grinders. It's a fallacy.

Do they have a place in the game? Sure. But only because there isn't enough elite talent to go around.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Kane - Kane - Kane

might be outplayed by Kopitar's line on some nights, but you wanna do a 7-game playoff series?

The other Kane - Kane - Kane lines absolute wreck the others.

It's a team game. I'm saying Team Kane would win some 80s 12-6 shootouts.

You don't need bangers and grinders. It's a fallacy.

Do they have a place in the game? Sure. But only because there isn't enough elite talent to go around.

There are plenty of guys who can skate, stickhandle and shoot the puck at a high level playing in the KHL, SHL and AHL. Even guys who can do stuff with the puck in isolation that'd make your head spin. But the Schremps, Omarks and Abbots of the world have a variety of problems that mean that they aren't as useful to an NHL team as a big galoot who knows how to get between you and where you're going.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada

Bobby Orr was considered bad defensively.

Ya know what? It didn't really matter. He spent 10% of his icetime in his own zone. The other 90% was him flying through the neutral zone with the puck, or peppering the other team's goalie.

So 10% of "bad" play, is peanuts next to 90% of domination.

Same applies to Kane and Karlsson.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Ya know what? It didn't really matter. He spent 10% of his icetime in his own zone. The other 90% was him flying through the neutral zone with the puck, or peppering the other team's goalie.

It's all starting to make sense. :laugh:

cack

Jul 30, 2013

Are you being serious?

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
By some, yes. Probably the same types of people who think "role" players are important in today's NHL.

I disagree with anyone saying he was bad defensively.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I don't think a team of pure superstars would be getting pushed to the outside :huh:

Does Patrick Kane have a problem playing against size and "toughness?" No. He slips around you when you step up for a check and scores on you. That's why he's an NHL superstar and not Robbie Schremp.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
I don't think a team of pure superstars would be getting pushed to the outside :huh:

Does Patrick Kane have a problem playing against size and "toughness?" No. He slips around you when you step up for a check and scores on you.

All by his lonesome, huh? I wonder how he gets the puck and finds all that space? He really is amazing. He'd be even better without that hack Toews or that retreat Sharp holding him up, eh?

I'll take a team of Bergeron and Suter over Kane and Karlsson every day and twice on Sundays.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad