How I would rebuild your Boston Bruins

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Start with Chara+ something small to a contender like Anaheim for either Lindholm or Vatanen and one of their young forwards. Instead of a quarter for 5 nickels let's get some commemorative dimes that could become something more.

Move Spooner for a wing prospect of equal value. Kelly for a 3rd/4th. Eriksson for a 1st, or a 2nd and a B prospect, or a 3rd and an A prospect.

That clears up some dollar dollar bill yalls. But you need to resign the RFA's before you clear the salary. Need to sign them to lean contracts.

I'm sure the Ducks would love a breaking down 38 year old Dman at $7 mil. for one of their outstanding young defensemen.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Philly does this, why?

Trade their leading goal scorer for a guy that earns way more but is currently not close to as good as Simmonds AND they give the B's their 1st round pick. Makes no sense.

I think around the league Lucic has more value than Simmonds - granted, at current level of play, maybe not, but I could see Philly valuing him over Simmonds - maybe not enough to add a first but that's a deal I would put forward and build upon from there... I don't have Hextall's number so don't know if he would hang up on me...:laugh:

Armchair GM stuff but things I'd put out if in Chia's shoes. Gotta start somewhere and there are too may top 6 "tweeners" on this team right now.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I'm sure the Ducks would love a breaking down 38 year old Dman at $7 mil. for one of their outstanding young defensemen.

Just like I'm sure a team wouldn't want a late 20's wing in the process of breaking down and some fluff for a 2nd overall pick and a useful top 9 player.

Or a middle 6 wing for Filip Forsberg. Or a breaking down Kaberle for a 1st, 2nd, and prospect.

I can keep going, but I hope by now you have gotten the point.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Just like I'm sure a team wouldn't want a late 20's wing in the process of breaking down and some fluff for a 2nd overall pick and a useful top 9 player.

Or a middle 6 wing for Filip Forsberg. Or a breaking down Kaberle for a 1st, 2nd, and prospect.

I can keep going, but I hope by now you have gotten the point.

All completely different scenarios.

If the point is GMs make bad deals, you are correct.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Do we really?

Damn. We better keep that, if it's true.

Huge swing as the standings are right now between Boston/Florida regarding draft pick...The team that gets in the playoffs I believe is at #17 pick and the team that doesn't is #12.

With the way Boston has played recently and the March schedule of 15 games in 26 days, it's anyone's guess. If they recover they could win a lot of games and make the playoffs....if not I could see them picking as high as #9 overall.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Dom: I noticed David Krejci is not on your keepers list, so a couple of questions at your convenience...

1. How do you project his game over the next few seasons?

2. Does his lack of mention as a keeper in your scenario mean that he's a player you feel less certain about going forward, despite his playoffs of 2011 and '13?

3. How do you evaluate the importance of having any player of his ilk in his role as a top-two center?

Reason for the question: In this era (and pretty much throughout the Western Conference dominance of the 1990s) most Stanley Cup champions other than Chicago (and NJ and Anaheim when they won it) have been two-deep with elite centermen.

The Blackhawks were able to slot a plumber (Michal Handzus) on the second line in 2013 because they could flank him with Marian Hossa and Patrick Sharp, a luxury no other team can rival. From Game 4 on, Toews had Kane and Bickell.

So, even though the Hawks don't fit the model, their extraordinary skill in the top six to me only fortifies the blueprint of two elite centers that IMO most any team should covet for a legitimate shot at the Cup.

So how do you look at that issue in general and from the Bruins standpoint in particular? Would your chain reaction of next-step moves have such a replacement for Krejci on the radar, or do you need some assurance in his play that we haven't seen of late?

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Dom: I noticed David Krejci is not on your keepers list, so a couple of questions at your convenience...

1. How do you project his game over the next few seasons?

2. Does his lack of mention as a keeper in your scenario mean that he's a player you feel less certain about going forward, despite his playoffs of 2011 and '13?

3. How do you evaluate the importance of having any player of his ilk in his role as a top-two center?

Reason for the question: In this era (and pretty much throughout the Western Conference dominance of the 1990s) most Stanley Cup champions other than Chicago (and NJ and Anaheim when they won it) have been two-deep with elite centermen.

The Blackhawks were able to slot a plumber (Michal Handzus) on the second line in 2013 because they could flank him with Marian Hossa and Patrick Sharp, a luxury no other team can rival. From Game 4 on, Toews had Kane and Bickell.

So, even though the Hawks don't fit the model, their extraordinary skill in the top six to me only fortifies the blueprint of two elite centers that IMO most any team should covet for a legitimate shot at the Cup.

So how do you look at that issue in general and from the Bruins standpoint in particular? Would your chain reaction of next-step moves have such a replacement for Krejci on the radar, or do you need some assurance in his play that we haven't seen of late?

I knw this was directed at Dom specifically, but you make some good points. I think it comes down to the type of game this team wants to play. Krejci will continue to be an elite talent for 3-4 more seasons, but he does not play an up-tempo game. It all depends on who replaces CJ behind the bench. If it's another defense first guy, Krejci should stay as he can slow it down. If it is a guy like Oates, Krejci should be traded for someone that plays a more up-tempo game.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I knw this was directed at Dom specifically, but you make some good points. I think it comes down to the type of game this team wants to play. Krejci will continue to be an elite talent for 3-4 more seasons, but he does not play an up-tempo game. It all depends on who replaces CJ behind the bench. If it's another defense first guy, Krejci should stay as he can slow it down. If it is a guy like Oates, Krejci should be traded for someone that plays a more up-tempo game.

If we got Oates as head coach...I'd cry.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Good read from Mick Colageo.

Mick Colageo — Inside the Bruins wrote:

Blown season no reason to blow it up

One thing to remember while judging GM Peter Chiareli's salary-cap management is that the cap was negotiated down in the collective bargaining that saved the 2013 season, his second turn in the Stanley Cup final in a three-year period.

Selling is not the answer. Now it's Charlie Jacobs and club president Cam Neely who need to think more like Chiarelli.

Chiarelli and Julien have earned the opportunity to get the Bruins back on that track. If not, half the league's owners will drive off their own yellow-brick roads and give it to them.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

I agree with this 100%. People forget we had the best regular season record into he League last year. Chiarelli and Julien deserve at least another half-season, and, in my opinion a full season before they are replaced.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
i can't see a team giving up anything for Svedberg.

maybe the Bruins should try and move Paille,Campbell to 1 team for a pick. So instead of making 2 seperate deals for picks ex 2 4th round picks, move them both for a 3rd or maybe a 2nd?

Chiarelli needs to be on the phone with Soderberg's agent. Find out exactly what he wants and to see if there is a chance in re-signing him . If not , the Bruins have to move him. he may be the bedt trading chip they have. He would easily fetch the Bruins a 2nd and a prospect....Maybe even the Lightnings 1st round pick(Rangers) since they have 2 1st round picks.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Here is my list of players that I want to keep for next year and beyond:

Krejci - Strong, skilled center. Usually our best player in big games. Still highly underrated. We have never proven more than an average team without him. Should play out his contract.
Lucic - Less and less useful in the regular season, but a powerhouse in the playoffs. We play to win Cups, not President's trophies, so we keep him.
Bergeron - Heart of this franchise. Should be made captain next year. Should never wear another team's jersey.
Pastrnak - Everything this team has been looking for, RW, right shot, speed, elite skill, high energy, strong defensively. Literally nothing not to like. Should be very effective starting next year. Offensive ceiling is higher than some may realize. I think he will be come a player like Tarasenko or Hossa.
Marchand - The Bruins need more players with speed and high compete level. No reason to get rid of one of their only player's that already has both.
Hamilton - Future #1 D. Not going to replace him if moved.
Rask - Best goalie in the league. Can only go down from here.

Here is what I'd like to see go down at the trade deadline.

Soderberg traded for 1st round pick or a left winger with a good combination of grit, speed and strength.
Glencross acquired for whatever the highest bid is (2nd + Spooner/Koko?)
Ryder acquired for a 3rd round pick.
Cole acquired for a 2nd round pick + average prospect

On draft day I would trade Eriksson for Kassian, and if that fails, find the next best deal.

Last edited:

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad

He is exactly right . They deserve far more respect from the fans and even more so by management. My guess is if Boston misses the playoffs or lose rd1 they both are fired --Toronto picks them up and I spend my next half dozen years watching my bruins go in to a free fall while the leafs rise back to a contending team.

This team has done something good the last several years rather it a presidents trophy, a cup win or runner up. The final page on this year hasn't even been written yet and everyone has their mind made up. Peter is right the owner has just made it worse.

You guys can put your trust in Jacobs and Neely--- good luck with that. They would have to come up with two amazing guys and I don't think they can. I get that some of Peters moves have turned out bad. I wont go in to each one because opinions vary mine included. Most of them , you can see why something was done right or wrong.

The la kings this year alone lost 10 of 12 followed by winning seven in a row now. We went on a roll than fell off a cliff and now I see another good streak coming. I am not going to predict a victory today but we started to turn things around in Stlouis and good things are ahead .

I also totally disagree with anyone that thinks this team wants their gm or coach fired. This isn't your normal nhl team. We are built something like the kings . We cant just all of a sudden decide we are going to out talent the hawks, it is impossible and cant even be done in three years. We have to win by having winners , work hard and systems plus stellar goaltending. This is why I think when this team has to be totally rebuilt it is going to be tough. I am not convinced it is time yet and I know these two guys aren't getting the time or respect they deserve.

I am a guy who watches every second of every bruin game so I just don't get to ignore them for four years while they stink and say I hope they lose so they get in the lottery like I am sure a lot of you do. Even with those results you get no guarantees or a certain time frame. Look at all the picks Edmonton has had and how that rebuilding is going. I have said it before and I will say it again be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He is exactly right . They deserve far more respect from the fans and even more so by management. My guess is if Boston misses the playoffs or lose rd1 they both are fired --Toronto picks them up and I spend my next half dozen years watching my bruins go in to a free fall while the leafs rise back to a contending team.

This team has done something good the last several years rather it a presidents trophy, a cup win or runner up. The final page on this year hasn't even been written yet and everyone has their mind made up. Peter is right the owner has just made it worse.

You guys can put your trust in Jacobs and Neely--- good luck with that. They would have to come up with two amazing guys and I don't think they can. I get that some of Peters moves have turned out bad. I wont go in to each one because opinions vary mine included. Most of them , you can see why something was done right or wrong.

The la kings this year alone lost 10 of 12 followed by winning seven in a row now. We went on a roll than fell off a cliff and now I see another good streak coming. I am not going to predict a victory today but we started to turn things around in Stlouis and good things are ahead .

I also totally disagree with anyone that thinks this team wants their gm or coach fired. This isn't your normal nhl team. We are built something like the kings . We cant just all of a sudden decide we are going to out talent the hawks, it is impossible and cant even be done in three years. We have to win on having winners , work hard and systems plus stellar goaltending. This is why I think when this team has to be totally rebuilt it is going to be tough. I am not convinced it is time yet and I know these two guys aren't getting the time or respect they deserve.

I am a guy who watches every second of every bruin game so I just don't get to ignore them for four years while they stink and say I hope they lose so they get in the lottery like I am sure a lot of you do. Even with those results you get no guarantees or a certain time frame. Look at all the picks Edmonton has had and how that rebuilding is going. I have said it before and I will say it again be careful what you wish for.

Well said.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Here is my list of players that I want to keep for next year and beyond:

Krejci - Strong, skilled center. Usually our best player in big games. Still highly underrated. We have never proven more than an average team without him. Should play out his contract.meh
Lucic - Less and less useful in the regular season, but a powerhouse in the playoffs. We play to win Cups, not President's trophies, so we keep him. how much you want to pay. He's getting 6 mil now.
Bergeron - Heart of this franchise. Should be made captain next year. Should never wear another team's jersey. Agreed.
Pastrnak - Everything this team has been looking for, RW, right shot, speed, elite skill, high energy, strong defensively. Literally nothing not to like. Should be very effective starting next year. Offensive ceiling is higher than some may realize. I think he will be come a player like Tarasenko or Hossa.hopefully they hot a sleeper. Lots of spunk.
Marchand - The Bruins need more players with speed and high compete level. No reason to get rid of one of their only player's that already has both.lots of people don't know how good he is. Kids got skills.
Hamilton - Future #1 D. Not going to replace him if moved.second contract critical. Not good enough for big payday but still improving.
Rask - Best goalie in the league. Can only go down from here.not so sure about best but top 5 easy.

Here is what I'd like to see go down at the trade deadline.

Soderberg traded for 1st round pick or a left winger with a good combination of grit, speed and strength.
Glencross acquired for whatever the highest bid is (2nd + Spooner/Koko?)
Ryder acquired for a 3rd round pick.
Cole acquired for a 2nd round pick + average prospect

On draft day I would trade Eriksson for Kassian, and if that fails, find the next best deal.

Your GM duties are no longer needed.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad