DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It's way to early for this, but here it goes:

(Mods can merge if need be)

IF I WERE THE GM, HERE IS WHAT I WOULD DO:

A long series of moves

1) I have no intention of keeping Bartkowski beyond this season. Trade him for whatever I can get. I get it, Miller is out. Fill that role with Trotman and or Morrow (when healthy) A playoff team will have interest in Bartkowski for depth. Trotman/Morrow gain valuable experience.

2) Move Gregory Campbell. UFA at the end of the season and like Bartkowski, no intention of keeping him beyond this season. Again, a playoff team will be interested for depth purposes.

3) Move Svedberg. No longer in my plans beyond this season. Even for a 7th round pick if I have to.

4) Move Danny Paille. UFA at the end of the season and there will be cheaper options either from within or on the UFA market. A playoff team will be interested.

All four are moved for picks in 2015 to be used to move up in later rounds if there is a player I really like and want to grab but feel they won't be available when I pick. Gives me 12 picks in this draft.

My lineup going forward

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Soderberg - Spooner/Koko - Pastrnak
Ferlin - Kelly - Cunningham

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Krug - Trotman/Morrow

Rask
Subban

The offseason is when I re-tool the core of the team. Anyone not named Bergeron, Hamilton, Rask is available (and maybe Pastrnak). I would definitely be calling the Oilers about Taylor Hall - something around Lucic and Seidenberg, and pursue legit UFA d-men.

Based on a $71 million cap, there is now $19 million in cap space to sign Smith, Soderberg, Krug, Miller, Hamilton and McQuaid - $23 million with Savard on LTIR. My guess is those 6 come in at $16 Million leaving me $7 million in cap space. If I can grab two d-men in that range and rebuild the d core, Miller and McQuaid become expendable giving me just over $2 million in cap space and if I can move Kelly along with that, I can grab myself a decent first line RW. Now I just have to rebuild that 4th line since I can move Eriksson back with Soderberg and one of the kids.

That's what I would do.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

A long series of moves

1) I have no intention of keeping Bartkowski beyond this season. Trade him for whatever I can get. I get it, Miller is out. Fill that role with Trotman and or Morrow (when healthy) A playoff team will have interest in Bartkowski for depth. Trotman/Morrow gain valuable experience.

2) Move Gregory Campbell. UFA at the end of the season and like Bartkowski, no intention of keeping him beyond this season. Again, a playoff team will be interested for depth purposes.

3) Move Svedberg. No longer in my plans beyond this season. Even for a 7th round pick if I have to.

4) Move Danny Paille. UFA at the end of the season and there will be cheaper options either from within or on the UFA market. A playoff team will be interested.

All four are moved for picks in 2015 to be used to move up in later rounds if there is a player I really like and want to grab but feel they won't be available when I pick. Gives me 12 picks in this draft.

My lineup going forward

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Krug - Trotman/Morrow

Rask
Subban

The offseason is when I re-tool the core of the team. Anyone not named Bergeron, Hamilton, Rask is available (and maybe Pastrnak). I would definitely be calling the Oilers about Taylor Hall - something around Lucic and Seidenberg, and pursue legit UFA d-men.

Based on a $71 million cap, there is now $19 million in cap space to sign Smith, Soderberg, Krug, Miller, Hamilton and McQuaid - $23 million with Savard on LTIR. My guess is those 6 come in at $16 Million leaving me $7 million in cap space. If I can grab two d-men in that range and rebuild the d core, Miller and McQuaid become expendable giving me just over $2 million in cap space and if I can move Kelly along with that, I can grab myself a decent first line RW. Now I just have to rebuild that 4th line since I can move Eriksson back with Soderberg and one of the kids.

That's what I would do.

Would Soderberg re-sign if asked/expected to move once again to the wing Dom? I`m asking not challenging

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I agree with moving all the UFA guys Campbell, Paille and McQuaid, I think McQuiad would get the most in return. Also trading Barkowski and Kelly if he would only waive his NTC that would be a great start and do it now while teams are lookng for depth players. Would also deal Soderberg at the TDL if he wants too much to resign.

Seidenberg, Eriksson, Chara, Lucic and maybe Marchand moved in the off season to bring in some new core players that will help turn the team round quickly.

Rask if he does not do well in the playoffs or just bombs out then I would look at dealing him too if we can get some valuable assets back.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

A long series of moves

My lineup going forward

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Krug - Trotman/Morrow

Rask
Subban

That's what I would do.

Well though post. I'm not sure that i would make Rask available. To me, if there's one place that you should not gamble, that's in the net. I really don't see Subban being ready for primetime next year. I agree that we need to upgrade significantly the blueline and using Lucic as a centerpiece can land us a very good D-man for years. Up front, there's a lot of inconsistency. I like Smith but on the right price tag ( the same can be said abut Soda ). His second season has a lot of up and down and for me, that's a red flag. Our offense has skills but we're plagued with long stretch of inconsistency and that's what kill us this year. We have to make sure that we will have a minimum of " certainty " upfront.

We will have to wait and see how this season will unfold because I have the feeling that PC has never been so close to be fired by the organization. Reports says that Clode might be the first one to go but I can't see PC escaping the same faith since it's very clear that most of our problems, this year, we're created by the lack of plan B,C and D. At this point, Chiarelli is showing to the ownership that he doesn't have any kind of solutions to solve team's problems. To me, that's the end of road for any GM. If the team miss the playoffs and elect to hire a new GM, I have the feeling that aside Rask,Bergeron and Hamilton, we might see a couple of core guy leaving the team.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
See, to me these are all minor moves.

Clearing out your 6/7 defenseman, a couple of 4th liners and a backup goalie.

I mean, I guess if you really feel like you have no chance and want to just sell and trim the fat. Not sure why anyone would want Seidenberg at this point.

It feels like a pretty dismal situation.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Pretty mUch what I would do but you estimate signing 6 players for 16M.That would be an average of about 2,7 each.I think the only that are going to cost less is Miller and Mcquiad. The others are going to cost more and some way more IMO. I don't see the 16M figure happening.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
The number one thing that will happen is that Chia will make a minor move. Second Clode will be shown the door after this road trip once they lose the next two games.
Big sale at the deadline. Retool at the draft. A few major trades and signing in the summer.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
no complaints, Dom. Curious you'd move out a G after the discussion a couple weeks back about hypothetical dispersal draft and protecting Rask/Subban. Hope all is well.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
Doesn't feel like a "rebuild" only getting rid of the initial players mentioned (I agree I'd do all of those though). I'd unload Chara as well, that changes the team a lot more than just the moves you mentioned and possibly brings back better picks, prospects or players for the rebuild.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I mean, I guess if you really feel like you have no chance and want to just sell and trim the fat. Not sure why anyone would want Seidenberg at this point.

It's not about this season it's about setting up for next and beyond. The players I'm trading now are not in my plans for next season, therefore I am trading them now to get something in return.

jka*

Plus Cleary to 3rd line up.

3 great formation in newest best with Kings, Blackhawks, Penguins and Ducks. Plus Bruins. Maybe Red Wings to I say.

Top-six best commando 5 season's.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Pretty mUch what I would do but you estimate signing 6 players for 16M.That would be an average of about 2,7 each.I think the only that are going to cost less is Miller and Mcquiad. The others are going to cost more and some way more IMO. I don't see the 16M figure happening.

Maybe. It's the one thing I'm probably most accurate on around here is pretty much nailing the dollars.

Just over a year ago there were people saying Krug/Smith would come in at $3 million and higher. My suggestion that those numbers were double what they would be were scoffed at by a few members of this board.

I guess we'll know in 4 or 5 months - sooner in some cases.

oreillyisgod

Unregistered User
Jun 5, 2010
Massachusetts

A long series of moves

My lineup going forward

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Krug - Trotman/Morrow

Rask
Subban

That's what I would do.

Love all of this. Just two comments:
1) Pastrnak is not a maybe - you keep him at all costs. Kid is going to be very good.
2) All in favor of Spooner/Koko, but you know this is just a fantasy - the coach will not play them. And probably stomp his feet and hold his breath if they should try to move Campbell and Paille.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site

A long series of moves

My lineup going forward

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Krug - Trotman/Morrow

Rask
Subban

That's what I would do.

100% agreed. Dom for GM!!

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site

It is dismal. The cupboard is bare, which is why Dom is, through the draft and freeing up $$ for FA's, re-stocking the shelves. I think DK is also our best asset to help retool and gain some financial wiggle room..

Given this scenario, I think a coaching change is also a necessity. and I have no fundamental problems with CJ, just the team needs a new vibrant identity.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I mostly agree but if they went with your lineup today they might finally realize that Eriksson is the right wing they've been looking for. I don't know how many present NHL first line wingers would prosper with Kelly and Soderberg versus Krejci and Lucic.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Maybe. It's the one thing I'm probably most accurate on around here is pretty much nailing the dollars.

Just over a year ago there were people saying Krug/Smith would come in at $3 million and higher. My suggestion that those numbers were double what they would be were scoffed at by a few members of this board.

I guess we'll know in 4 or 5 months - sooner in some cases.

Your track record speaks for itself,so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

How do you see that broken down, who's getting what and for how long?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Your track record speaks for itself,so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

How do you see that broken down, who's getting what and for how long?

I'm not at liberty to say because I know what one player is looking for (and I might add that the numbers I see here are way overboard) and since it was told to me in confidence, I have to honor that.

Most of the time I can ask 3 or 4 agents: "If you were representing player X, how much would you seek on a deal?" And 99 times out of a hundred, they are in virtual agreement. And it's usually what that player ends up signing for - or very close.

The hard one is Hamilton. Do they sign him to a bridge contract and play hardball like the Habs did with Subban and pay the piper later or lock him up long term and pay more now, less later?

I'm not sure that they have the balls to play hard ball with him like Molson/Bergevin did with PK.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA

A long series of moves

My lineup going forward

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Krug - Trotman/Morrow

Rask
Subban

That's what I would do.

Interesting post, Dom. Agreed on all fronts about the trades this year. There is no reason not to move those guys.

Curious question for you, though: with all of these "reports" coming out that Chiarelli and the front offices' jobs are on the line, do they make moves like these and risk missing the playoffs and losing their job? I'd understand these moves perfectly, and wouldn't hesitate on any of them, if I as a GM knew I was safe. That the ownership understands its probably best to make the transition now, and look towards next year and the future. However, it seems our owner is a bit short-sighted and does not care about that, and is threatening their jobs. And that would make me think twice about doing these moves if I didn't expect to be in that position much longer.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Dom correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Krug and Smith basically have very little leverage in these upcoming RFA negotiations? Chia could give Krug something a bit healthier than the 100% raise he'd legally have to give him, but Smith? Can't Chia just qualify him with the minimum, and he's not even eligible for arbitration?

Seems like Chia has all the leverage with everyone but Soderberg.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Dom, you lost all my confidence with "Series of moves!" :laugh:

J/K. It's a logical approach and one that I'd have faith in IF the B's FO would only follow it, or something similar.

I do wonder how moving Bart, Soup and Pie for picks would effect the room, but so be it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Interesting post, Dom. Agreed on all fronts about the trades this year. There is no reason not to move those guys.

Curious question for you, though: with all of these "reports" coming out that Chiarelli and the front offices' jobs are on the line, do they make moves like these and risk missing the playoffs and losing their job? I'd understand these moves perfectly, and wouldn't hesitate on any of them, if I as a GM knew I was safe. That the ownership understands its probably best to make the transition now, and look towards next year and the future. However, it seems our owner is a bit short-sighted and does not care about that, and is threatening their jobs. And that would make me think twice about doing these moves if I didn't expect to be in that position much longer.

Naturally, Neely is involved in any of these decisions. It's up to Neely to talk to Jacobs (not Chiarelli) and convince him that this is the direction the team needs to take.

Question for you: If you're Jacobs and Neely is on board, one year of pain for many more successful ones, are you going to fire Neely as well and face the fans that line your pockets with cash? Do you want to pay two team presidents, two GM's and two coaches for the next three years or more?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00