How I would rebuild your Boston Bruins

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's way to early for this, but here it goes:

(Mods can merge if need be)

IF I WERE THE GM, HERE IS WHAT I WOULD DO:

A long series of moves

1) I have no intention of keeping Bartkowski beyond this season. Trade him for whatever I can get. I get it, Miller is out. Fill that role with Trotman and or Morrow (when healthy) A playoff team will have interest in Bartkowski for depth. Trotman/Morrow gain valuable experience.

2) Move Gregory Campbell. UFA at the end of the season and like Bartkowski, no intention of keeping him beyond this season. Again, a playoff team will be interested for depth purposes.

3) Move Svedberg. No longer in my plans beyond this season. Even for a 7th round pick if I have to.

4) Move Danny Paille. UFA at the end of the season and there will be cheaper options either from within or on the UFA market. A playoff team will be interested.

All four are moved for picks in 2015 to be used to move up in later rounds if there is a player I really like and want to grab but feel they won't be available when I pick. Gives me 12 picks in this draft.

My lineup going forward

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Soderberg - Spooner/Koko - Pastrnak
Ferlin - Kelly - Cunningham

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Krug - Trotman/Morrow

Rask
Subban

The offseason is when I re-tool the core of the team. Anyone not named Bergeron, Hamilton, Rask is available (and maybe Pastrnak). I would definitely be calling the Oilers about Taylor Hall - something around Lucic and Seidenberg, and pursue legit UFA d-men.

Based on a $71 million cap, there is now $19 million in cap space to sign Smith, Soderberg, Krug, Miller, Hamilton and McQuaid - $23 million with Savard on LTIR. My guess is those 6 come in at $16 Million leaving me $7 million in cap space. If I can grab two d-men in that range and rebuild the d core, Miller and McQuaid become expendable giving me just over $2 million in cap space and if I can move Kelly along with that, I can grab myself a decent first line RW. Now I just have to rebuild that 4th line since I can move Eriksson back with Soderberg and one of the kids.

That's what I would do.

That 4th line has potential to be even worse than the current one.

Don't like Kelly as a center anymore, I'd leave him with Soderberg & Erkisson as they all only seem to play well when together. Has Ferlin played left wing?

Clearly lots more options once the season is over.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
like this plan. would be interesting to see what they could do with some real cap space. bring some new life to the squad

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
I would do a little more at the deadline than what was proposed by Dom. I think some of these guys have more value at the deadline than they would have in the summer. Chara Kelly Lucic Krejci Marchand especially. The return would also be higher now than during the summer.

I really don't see much of a change from Campbell, Mcquaid, Svedberg, Miller, Bartowski. The most you'd get is a 3rd rounder for Campbell and Mcquaid. Everyone else fetches you practically nothing.

This is not enough change for this team. Too many teams are still in the hunt for the playoffs. I can see a lot of return coming back if these guys are offered to the Chicago's, Anaheim's, San Jose's, Nashville's, even teams like Winnipeg Colorado Dallas would pay a premium for front line talent even if the playoffs seem to be slipping away.

With a great draft in 2015, I think the urgency for these teams to make a playoff run is a great way to re build this team.

GetOutTheClubs

Jun 19, 2007
Thumb Nail Evaluation:

The JERRY JACOBS CAP is KILLING a LARGE MARKET, ORIGINAL SIX, US DOLLAR TEAM

Chia's TO Do List:

1) #17 is great on 3rd line @ 3 Million. At six million he would be the first to go.

2) # 33 and #44 look old and slow. If it's age trade them if you can get good value. If injury roll the dice.

3) Keep #37 #40 #47 #88 (#27 Too Young to give up on.)

4) Everyone else is available for the right price.

IF JACOBS DIDN'T PUT PROFITS BEFORE PLAYOFFS THINGS WOULD BE DIFFERENT!!!!

trudatman*

hi. I fixed it for you.

IF I WERE THE GM, HERE IS WHAT I WOULD DO:

A long series of moves

1) I have no intention of keeping Seidenberg beyond this season. Trade him for whatever I can get. I get it, Miller is out. Fill that role with Bartkowski and or Morrow (when healthy). A playoff team will have interest in Seidenberg for depth. Bartkowski/Morrow gain valuable experience.

2) Move Gregory Campbell. UFA at the end of the season and like Seidenberg, no intention of keeping him beyond this season. Again, a playoff team will be interested for depth purposes.

3) Move Subban. No longer in my plans beyond this season. Even for a 7th round pick if I have to.

4) Move Danny Paille. UFA at the end of the season and there will be cheaper options either from within or on the UFA market. A playoff team might be interested.

All four are moved for picks in 2015 to be used to move up in later rounds if there is a player I really like and want to grab but feel they won't be available when I pick. Gives me 12 picks in this draft, hopefully frontloaded.

My lineup going forward

Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron-Cleary - Smith
Kelly - Soderberg - Eriksson
Lindblad(Caron) - Cunningham - Ferlin

Chara - placeholder
Bartkowski(Morrow) - Hamilton
Krug - McQuaid

Rask
Svedberg

The offseason is when I re-tool the core of the team. Anyone not named Bergeron-Cleary, Marchand, Miller, Pastrnak is available (and maybe Rask). I would definitely be calling the Oilers about Taylor Hall - something around Lucic and Bartkowski, and pursue legit UFA d-men, like Michalek and Martinez. If I get two NHL-ready defensemen, I move Hamilton to right wing. His defense has proven to be absolute garbage. If the kids on the left don't work out, I'd even consider doing the same with Krug, routinely bumping him back to defense for special teams play.

Based on a $71 million cap, there is now $19 million in cap space to sign, in priority order, Miller, Hamilton, Soderberg, Krug, McQuaid and Smith - $23 million with Savard on LTIR. My guess is those 6 come in at $15 Million leaving me $8 million in cap space. If I can grab two d-men in that range and rebuild the d core, Krug and McQuaid become expendable giving me just over $2 million in cap space and if I can move Kelly along with that, I can grab myself a decent first line RW.

Now I just have to rebuild that 4th line since I can move Eriksson back with Soderberg and one of the kids, including Smith and Pastrnak, both of whom should be just fine on that the left. Eriksson can go to the left at any point, too, so Eriksson/Soderberg/Ferlin might be my first attempt at a third line after a shakeup. Consolidation is an option, too, especially if Krejci is done for a while. maybe
MAR/BER/PAS
LUC/SOD/ERI
KEL/SPO/SMI
CAR/CUN(SPO)/FER

In fact, I may try to aim for those forward lines to start next season. I'd probably also shop Chara as much as possible. (Now that the buyout period has expired.) That would likely aim toward needing a new number one, which I don't see in the system for next year. A one-season star defenseman rental might be enough to get a frame of
MOR/MIL
BAR(WAR)/HAM
KRU/MCQ
to work well enough next season to find out exactly what we have in Rask.

So, if defensemen come back in trades, I'd move the offensive defenders up. If forwards come back in trades, I'd bump the AHLers off of the fourth line wings. If it's all picks coming back, good; that works out better in the long run. This season may be salvageable, but I doubt the team is salvageable if this season is still a priority. I'd revamp with more foci on youth, speed and scoring. I'd save the Bruins while it's still possible, starting now.

That's what I would do.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Why do people act like a playoff team would give up an asset for Campbell? On what planet does that happen?

Hes going nowhere NHL politics will not allow COlin Campbell's son to be bought out or sent to the AHL (or even put in the press box for a game.)

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
3) Move Subban. No longer in my plans beyond this season. Even for a 7th round pick if I have to.

That's what I would do.

There is zero reason to move him for the sake of moving him. He is 21 and goalies take longer to come into their own than. That's just an absurd line of reasoning to move him, especially because he had one bad game at 21

trudatman*

he was terrible in his earlier looks, too. he will take a while to develop and I don't see much potential there. sorry, I just don't. I don't put forth the serious effort when there are lots of other backup/AHL guys to be had. I believe he was always a trade piece and I'd treat him that way.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
There is zero reason to move him for the sake of moving him. He is 21 and goalies take longer to come into their own than. That's just an absurd line of reasoning to move him, especially because he had one bad game at 21
To be fair, most of the 'good goalies' in the world don't get the chance to play at the NHL level. Subban got his chance and failed. Now, does he deserve another one?

Try to be objective for once. Just tell me why he deserves another chance? Because a late first round pick was used on him? Because his play at the AHL level warrants so? Because of his performances at international competition? I'm honestly curious why Subban deserves to play in the NHL? He's not even a top 15 AHL goalie based on either GAA or SV%.

Or is it because of his name and because a scout said he seems athletic? I mean seriously. There's a lot of goalies who won medals in international play or who are dominating the minor leagues and yet don't play in the NHL and will never become stars in the NHL. Yet Subban is somehow the heir to the kingdom in Boston. So what is that based on? I'm genuinely curious. Colour me uneducated.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
To be fair, most of the 'good goalies' in the world don't get the chance to play at the NHL level. Subban got his chance and failed. Now, does he deserve another one?

Try to be objective for once. Just tell me why he deserves another chance? Because a late first round pick was used on him? Because his play at the AHL level warrants so? Because of his performances at international competition? I'm honestly curious why Subban deserves to play in the NHL? He's not even a top 15 AHL goalie based on either GAA or SV%.

Or is it because of his name and because a scout said he seems athletic? I mean seriously. There's a lot of goalies who won medals in international play or who are dominating the minor leagues and yet don't play in the NHL and will never become stars in the NHL. Yet Subban is somehow the heir to the kingdom in Boston. So what is that based on? I'm genuinely curious. Colour me uneducated.

So you're calling it a career after 30 minutes?

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
So you're calling it a career after 30 minutes?
No I'm saying let him show if he can dominate the AHL, KHL or a European league like SEL for a full couple of years and then take him on as a backup. It's not like Boston needs a starting goaltender for many years anyway.

Saying Subban's track record on any level of hockey isn't stellar isn't 'calling it a career'. It's just calling it as it is. Honestly if this guy's name was Chad Johnson noone would care. But because of his family he's supposed to be a blue chip prospect, despite not having proven it at any point of his career.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

I didn't know this is all he would every be after 31 minutes in the NHL, good to know. The point is a goalie isn't fully developed at 21 and giving up on him this early is a huge mistake, especially with the line of even if its a 7th round pick. Let him sit around in the Providence for two years and get the occasional game in Boston and see how he does. Calling a career because of one game at that that age :shakehead

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
No I'm saying let him show if he can dominate the AHL, KHL or a European league like SEL for a full couple of years and then take him on as a backup. It's not like Boston needs a starting goaltender for many years anyway.

Saying Subban's track record on any level of hockey isn't stellar isn't 'calling it a career'. It's just calling it as it is.

Oh Ok, I didn't get that from your 3 paragraph post outlining why he shouldn't get another chance in the NHL.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Oh Ok, I didn't get that from your 3 paragraph post outlining why he shouldn't get another chance in the NHL.
He just got a chance in the NHL despite not being a top 15 goalie in the AHL. He should get the next chance when he's the top #1 goalie of any professional league other than the NHL. By the way PK Subban, you know, the Norris winner, went in the 2nd round. There's no way Malcolm gets picked in the first round if it wasn't for his 'hockey family' and 'genetics'.

I've yet to receive an answer on the actual why he deserves another chance. What's he proven? Where has this potential that seemingly cannot be defined by anyone in any concrete means manifested? All I'm hearing is "goalies aren't complete at 21 years old" but that has nothing to do with Subban in particular. There's a hundred goalies under 21 in the minor leagues. Just make a list for me of all the reasons why Subban will be a good NHL goalie, based on his career and the evidence that you have observed.

Last edited:

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
The Bs organization is letting this team bleed and sink so certain players will want to waive their NTCs next week to go to a contender.

Once this happens, we go for it!

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Lucic to Philly for Simmonds and their first in 15. (yes I know, the type of deal that get's a GM fired but so what...)
Seids to anyone for relief.
Krejci to COL for O'Reilly.
Marchand plus a depth guy to SJ for Hertl plus 2nd in 15.
Dump Campbell / Paille / Kelly for whatever you can get.

Re-up Soderberg to 4 at 4 per. Glenncross at 3 at 3.35M per. Smith for 2 at 2.25 per bridge or deal. Krug does same or is dealt as unsigned RFA.

Hertl-Bergeron-Simmonds
O'Reilly-Sodaberg-Eriksson
Glenncross-Spooner-Pasta
Cunningham-Koko-Smith/Camara/Knight/ etc, etc.

On D they need at least 1 legit UFA but will see what the market looks like... Chara is 2nd pair going forward and if you could move him as part of the rebuild you do it at this stage.

That roster is faster, more skilled and more puck hound than the one they have right now. If they can clean up the backend with a UFA from the savings on the forwards above they are right back in it.

Never gonna happen but I would totally retool the top 6 and weaken the middle a bit to add cap flexibility and better wingers...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

1) 1 bad game against a good team in his debut doesn't mean anything.

2) He is still a good prospect who could someday be a #1 goalie.

But other than that, I'm with you. I got stuff thrown at me a day or 2 ago when I suggested that his value isn't that high as he's proven nothing in the NHL and his AHL season isn't all that special, even when compared to other young 1st or 2nd year goalies.

He's a good prospect but he isn't going to return a young top 6 NHL F (like Yak). He needs a lot of work on his mental game (clearly rattled last night) and fundamentals.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Start with Chara+ something small to a contender like Anaheim for either Lindholm or Vatanen and one of their young forwards. Instead of a quarter for 5 nickels let's get some commemorative dimes that could become something more.

Move Spooner for a wing prospect of equal value. Kelly for a 3rd/4th. Eriksson for a 1st, or a 2nd and a B prospect, or a 3rd and an A prospect.

That clears up some dollar dollar bill yalls. But you need to resign the RFA's before you clear the salary. Need to sign them to lean contracts.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
1- fire julien and chia, we all know clode will not be part of changes
2-campbell, paille, caron, kelly, seids out , buyout or waive
3- trade chara (still have value)
4- make offer to carl, if he refuse , trade him
5-bring spooner and koko andgive them ice time to develop this year
6-take deep look at ufa this summer
7-put lucic, smith, loui on the market and listen all offers, try to get draft choices or very young players
8-draft well

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Lucic to Philly for Simmonds and their first in 15. (yes I know, the type of deal that get's a GM fired but so what...)
Seids to anyone for relief.
Krejci to COL for O'Reilly.
Marchand plus a depth guy to SJ for Hertl plus 2nd in 15.
Dump Campbell / Paille / Kelly for whatever you can get.

Re-up Soderberg to 4 at 4 per. Glenncross at 3 at 3.35M per. Smith for 2 at 2.25 per bridge or deal. Krug does same or is dealt as unsigned RFA.

Hertl-Bergeron-Simmonds
O'Reilly-Sodaberg-Eriksson
Glenncross-Spooner-Pasta
Cunningham-Koko-Smith/Camara/Knight/ etc, etc.

On D they need at least 1 legit UFA but will see what the market looks like... Chara is 2nd pair going forward and if you could move him as part of the rebuild you do it at this stage.

That roster is faster, more skilled and more puck hound than the one they have right now. If they can clean up the backend with a UFA from the savings on the forwards above they are right back in it.

Never gonna happen but I would totally retool the top 6 and weaken the middle a bit to add cap flexibility and better wingers...

Philly does this, why?

Trade their leading goal scorer for a guy that earns way more but is currently not close to as good as Simmonds AND they give the B's their 1st round pick. Makes no sense.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He just got a chance in the NHL despite not being a top 15 goalie in the AHL. He should get the next chance when he's the top #1 goalie of any professional league other than the NHL. By the way PK Subban, you know, the Norris winner, went in the 2nd round. There's no way Malcolm gets picked in the first round if it wasn't for his 'hockey family' and 'genetics'.

I've yet to receive an answer on the actual why he deserves another chance. What's he proven? Where has this potential that seemingly cannot be defined by anyone in any concrete means manifested? All I'm hearing is "goalies aren't complete at 21 years old" but that has nothing to do with Subban in particular. There's a hundred goalies under 21 in the minor leagues. Just make a list for me of all the reasons why Subban will be a good NHL goalie, based on his career and the evidence that you have observed.

:facepalm:

Believe the response necessary is "haters gonna hate"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad