TV: How I Met Your Mother

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Wife and I are currently binging this on Netflix. Solid show. On season 4 right now. Ted is annoying though.

Haha I was never bothered by Ted, but I know people who couldn’t stand him. He should have given up chasing Robin at a certain point though. I really liked Victoria, his girlfriend from the first season.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So Barney is a pretty horrible person, right?

I find it odd that he is framed more like a loveable man-slut than a manipulative sleezeball throughout the series.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Loved the show.

Sadly, like so many comedies, it starts out amazing then slowly but surely it starts to drift more into a drama.
The last couple seasons it was running on fumes.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I never watched it before I met my girlfriend about 2 years ago, it's her favorite show ever and she rewatches it regularly so I've seen it a lot.

It's got its moments for sure, but some of the cringe moments are superrrrr bad. Marshall is easily my favorite character, as he seems like the only character to me who is a genuinely good person. lol. Barney is annoying as all hell for me.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Loved the show.

Sadly, like so many comedies, it starts out amazing then slowly but surely it starts to drift more into a drama.
The last couple seasons it was running on fumes.
We just started season 5 and the first few episodes have been meh... Really hope it picks up

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
It's crazy thinking the Wedding was first pitched in season 6 and goes all the way until the final episode.

Also the final season should have been the wedding and then the second part be everything we saw in the final episode

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Watched it when it aired. Really used to enjoy. One of the few comedies I've watched from beginning to the end. The chemistry of the cast was great.

I have been rewatching the show on Netflix and it's amazing how different it feels on a rewatch now that I am a bit older and not in Highschool/University when I watched it as it first aired. So far upto Season 3. Some rewatch observations:

* There is some stuff in the show that either doesn't work for me anymore period or doesn't work in a binge. The Barney character in particular really doesn't work that well for me when binging the show. I am surprised how one-note that character is and it seems every episode they are telling a variation of a similar joke with him. Maybe it played better when we were watching it week to week with a wait period in the middle, but in a binge Barney is not offering me much.

* Ted is annoying as f***. The way he refuses to take 'no' for an answer from Robin is cringy as hell. He also comes across as very selfish and a dick- he begs a girl that he dumped a couple of years ago to give him another shot and then dumps her again on her birthday soon after that with no remorse. Then he tries to cheat on his gf in Germany with Robyn... I don't remember thinking so poorly of him when I first watched the show.

* Marshall is the best.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
* Ted is annoying as ****. The way he refuses to take 'no' for an answer from Robin is cringy as hell. He also comes across as very selfish and a dick- he begs a girl that he dumped a couple of years ago to give him another shot and then dumps her again on her birthday soon after that with no remorse. Then he tries to cheat on his gf in Germany with Robyn... I don't remember thinking so poorly of him when I first watched the show.

I felt the same on my rewatch. It doesn't bother me so much I can't enjoy the show at all, but he definitely does some shitty things in the name of finding "the one".

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
* Ted is annoying as ****. The way he refuses to take 'no' for an answer from Robin is cringy as hell. He also comes across as very selfish and a dick- he begs a girl that he dumped a couple of years ago to give him another shot and then dumps her again on her birthday soon after that with no remorse. Then he tries to cheat on his gf in Germany with Robyn... I don't remember thinking so poorly of him when I first watched the show.

It's been well established by many that Ted is an annoying, whiny b****.

I liked the show, but another thing that bugged me a little was how everything always ended with positive closer. Like when Ted eventually got reacquainted with the penguin girl that the Halloween party when he though he never would, and how Marshall found out that the last thing his dad said to him was that he loved him when he originally thought they had ended things poorly.

I get this show isnt meant to emulate reality, but I couldn't stand how every tiny morsel of issues were followed up with positive closure.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Being surprised at Barney being one-dimensional is like being surprised that Balki doesn't quite understand American culture or Fonzie can't be out-cooled or out-tough-guy'd. Although I realize HIMYM did add levels of seriousness to Barney and turn his respectable, etc. But still, don't give it too much thought.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This show's lasting legacy may be that its the best lesson in not dragging out a show too long, and recognizing when the hang it up.
It was clear that they were stretching, and the "mother" twist became less effective the longer the show ran.

The showrunners likely felt compelled to keep it going because of money, and it's hard to blame them. But, the negative reaction to the final season torpedoed the shows dwindling reputation. While they may have gotten a payday attack the time, the showrunners have done very little since. This is during an era with the streaming wars when any showrunner with a decent reputation is commanding big dollars to crank out content, these guys seem unable to get anything out, despite the show being one of the most popular things on TV when it was on the air.

Although, I do think it's kind of funny that the failure of the planned spin off, How I Met Your Dad, likely saved Greta Gerwig from being tied down to as a sitcom actress, and instead let her become one's of the top rising directors in Hollywood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad