TV: How I Met Your Mother

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Two and a Half Men was great until the kid starting getting too old. It probably had run it’s course by the time the Sheen left anyway. I didn’t watch the Kutcher version but that shouldn’t have existed at all anyway.

On the topic and hand. I never watched this religious, maybe the first season, I can’t remember, but do/did watch the reruns in syndication. I like it it for what it is, but some times it does get too cringey and out there. The finale was dumb and should have ended on the train platform.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
We had a discussion leading up to the final and a few of us figured the mother was dead. There was a lot of foreshadowing and it sounds like that was always the plan

To me one of the worst things is the ending retroactively turns Ted's kids into total dicks.

Ted: Kids, I'm going to tell you the story of how I met your [dead] mother [whom you also ever met].
Kids: Ughhh, are we being punished??!

Good job with them, Ted.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I watched 2 episodes of the first season with my girlfriend and called the finale (just thought he was explaining to his kids why he was leaving their mother for aunt Robin, didn't think they'd go the easy way of making him wait 'til she died to avoid him being the bad guy).

After that, didn't watch a single episode until the end of the show with my gf going "you were right the whole time! you have to watch it!".... Made it through the first few seasons. Total garbage. Lilly is indeed unbearable, Barney is funny at times but feels way too much like a cheap overwritten Joey descendant, really only the two other guys together were kind of fun.

I have seen 2 or 3 TAAHM episodes late in hotel rooms, and it seems even worse. And for the record, I'm a big fan of Friends and Joey (very underrated show with hilarious moments).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah it's a good show that has its moments of being amazing. But I also disliked the ending a lot and felt like the entire last season was an uphill battle.

It's not on the level of The Office by any means but it's a good show. I've rewatched it probably 3 or 4 times already and am in the process of a rewatch again right now.
It's great to watch as a rewatch at night when you're winding down and nothing else is on TV.

Reactions: stingo

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It was an okay show with a fun framing device. I don't think the ending was lazy. It's actually clever. It just didn't hold up well as the show went on and the Ted-Robin pairing became annoying rather than charming.

It was never a show I went out of my way to watch. I'd record it and catch up to it eventually type of thing.

I'd equate the show to something like Mad About You. Popular during its time but quickly forgotten afterwards. If you've never seen it, it's not on that's good enough to go back and see.

The Barney-Robin pairing was even worse.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I liked it. Some ridiculously memorable moments for sure (the "Naked Man" for instance).

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Watched it when it aired. Really used to enjoy. One of the few comedies I've watched from beginning to the end. The chemistry of the cast was great.

Reactions: stingo

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I watched 3 or 4 episodes only. Generic comedy with a bunch of horrible people/unrelatetable characters. Maybe I just don't get it.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I watched 3 or 4 episodes only. Generic comedy with a bunch of horrible people/unrelatetable characters. Maybe I just don't get it.
yeah, it sounds like you didn't give it a chance. Most sitcoms take a few months to get into it. This was not a great show, but it was entertaining.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
My daughter used to watch it when it was first running. Hated it with a burning passion. Every time she put it on, I wanted to viciously beat every character on the show to within an inch of their non-existent lives.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The Barney-Robin pairing was even worse.

Just f***ing awful. Never made sense for those two to get together, and the fact they got married afterwards was just never believable. Making a whole season about the wedding too... ughhh. Bringing in Johnny from the karate kid was kinda cool, but season 3 onwards is a slow treck downwards for the show.

I watched 2 episodes of the first season with my girlfriend and called the finale (just thought he was explaining to his kids why he was leaving their mother for aunt Robin, didn't think they'd go the easy way of making him wait 'til she died to avoid him being the bad guy).

After that, didn't watch a single episode until the end of the show with my gf going "you were right the whole time! you have to watch it!".... Made it through the first few seasons. Total garbage. Lilly is indeed unbearable, Barney is funny at times but feels way too much like a cheap overwritten Joey descendant, really only the two other guys together were kind of fun.

I have seen 2 or 3 TAAHM episodes late in hotel rooms, and it seems even worse. And for the record, I'm a big fan of Friends and Joey (very underrated show with hilarious moments).

Meh, I enjoyed friends back in the mid 2000s, but I’ve kind died down in my fanfare over the years. Ross goes from mr nice guy to a total f***ing jackass that I just can’t stand by the end of the show (and the fact they still try to make him as such later on just doesn’t work), and joey becomes an idiot for whatever reason. I actually think the Monica and chandler arc is still pretty good, and that the fact that it came out of nowhere and was totally unexpected, I actually thought the show overall did a good job with it. Phoebe was cool and also had some interesting arcs, and I always wished that she ended up with that science guy throughout the years. Rachel is meh, never really liked her tbh. Overall though, lots of meh throughout the show. One particular criticism is that many characters that are just thrown away throughout the show after lots of buildup (phoebe’s parents as an example), and is something that really sticks out as well.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Phoebe was cool and also had some interesting arcs, and I always wished that she ended up with that science guy throughout the years.

A 1000x yes!! Phoebe was the coolest, and that too pisses me off. Mike is really a bad match for her, and such a boring character...

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Just ****ing awful. Never made sense for those two to get together, and the fact they got married afterwards was just never believable. Making a whole season about the wedding too... ughhh. Bringing in Johnny from the karate kid was kinda cool, but season 3 onwards is a slow treck downwards for the show.

Meh, I enjoyed friends back in the mid 2000s, but I’ve kind died down in my fanfare over the years. Ross goes from mr nice guy to a total ****ing jackass that I just can’t stand by the end of the show (and the fact they still try to make him as such later on just doesn’t work), and joey becomes an idiot for whatever reason. I actually think the Monica and chandler arc is still pretty good, and that the fact that it came out of nowhere and was totally unexpected, I actually thought the show overall did a good job with it. Phoebe was cool and also had some interesting arcs, and I always wished that she ended up with that science guy throughout the years. Rachel is meh, never really liked her tbh. Overall though, lots of meh throughout the show. One particular criticism is that many characters that are just thrown away throughout the show after lots of buildup (phoebe’s parents as an example), and is something that really sticks out as well.

What I can't stand about Friends is that for the most part they are all dicks to each other :laugh:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Just ****ing awful. Never made sense for those two to get together, and the fact they got married afterwards was just never believable. Making a whole season about the wedding too... ughhh. Bringing in Johnny from the karate kid was kinda cool, but season 3 onwards is a slow treck downwards for the show.

Meh, I enjoyed friends back in the mid 2000s, but I’ve kind died down in my fanfare over the years. Ross goes from mr nice guy to a total ****ing jackass that I just can’t stand by the end of the show (and the fact they still try to make him as such later on just doesn’t work), and joey becomes an idiot for whatever reason. I actually think the Monica and chandler arc is still pretty good, and that the fact that it came out of nowhere and was totally unexpected, I actually thought the show overall did a good job with it. Phoebe was cool and also had some interesting arcs, and I always wished that she ended up with that science guy throughout the years. Rachel is meh, never really liked her tbh. Overall though, lots of meh throughout the show. One particular criticism is that many characters that are just thrown away throughout the show after lots of buildup (phoebe’s parents as an example), and is something that really sticks out as well.

Phoebe really annoyed me. I always thought that the other 5 would never really be friends with her in real life.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Wife and I are currently binging this on Netflix. Solid show. On season 4 right now. Ted is annoying though.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It was an okay show with a fun framing device. I don't think the ending was lazy. It's actually clever. It just didn't hold up well as the show went on and the Ted-Robin pairing became annoying rather than charming.

It was never a show I went out of my way to watch. I'd record it and catch up to it eventually type of thing.

I'd equate the show to something like Mad About You. Popular during its time but quickly forgotten afterwards. If you've never seen it, it's not on that's good enough to go back and see.

Uhhh Mad Men is considered one of the best shows of all time so quickly forgotten? Not even

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

Friends was not the mid 2000s, I remember it being the mid 90s, wasn't its finale 2003? Anyways how I met your mother was a good show, but lasted 2 seasons too long. As for the finale, it was disappointing, but not the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad