TV: How I Met Your Mother

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Any fan of this?

Im wathing it sporadically if i have time and it is in that moment in TV.

Accidentally saw two episodes, who were Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) to seen. Not together.

There were also some ideas about Spin-offs:
How I Met Your Dad
How I Met Your Father (First attempt)
How I Met Your Father (Second attempt)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i found it really funny in high school but i find it to be so painfully unfunny now and bordering on cringe (not in a good way either)

find it similar to the comedy of friends, 2 broke girls or big bang theory.

i watched a few episodes with a friend a couple months ago and every time nph said legendary i felt like jamming firecrackers in my ears

alyson hannigan is very hot though

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
They should have called it Friends the next generation. Especially with that nonsense that was the finale episode because it wasn't at all about how he met their mother. That said, it was a great show for a while and then it kind of got over the top. I think they just started running out of ideas to be honest.

Seriously though, the series finale is so lazy and poorly done (especially in context of how they set up the last season and what it was supposed to be about) that it kind of ruins the show to some degree. I would almost always watch re-runs whenever I saw them on TV up until the series finale and I just can't bring myself to watch anymore.

Reactions: chokei
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
They should have called it Friends the next generation. Especially with that nonsense that was the finale episode because it wasn't at all about how he met their mother. That said, it was a great show for a while and then it kind of got over the top. I think they just started running out of ideas to be honest.

Seriously though, the series finale is so lazy and poorly done (especially in context of how they set up the last season and what it was supposed to be about) that it kind of ruins the show to some degree. I would almost always watch re-runs whenever I saw them on TV up until the series finale and I just can't bring myself to watch anymore.

I respect your take on the finale but I have the exact opposite opinion.

As for the whole show, I recently did a re-watch with my wife (her first time). I get what the poster above said about the cringey humor, but for whatever reason it was just the right amount of kitsch for me. Overall, I would recommend it to someone depending on their taste. And even then I would preface it by saying that I don't normally enjoy shows like it. Whereas with something like Parks and Rec, The Office, and a few others I just suggest it as pure quality comedy.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I didn't hate the finale. Didn't love it. I used to watch this religiously on TV and quite a bit on Netflix as well, until they took it off. I recently got Hulu to watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, so I've been watching it a little again. Still enjoy it quite a bit. It's good to put on late at night when nothing else is on.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It was an okay show with a fun framing device. I don't think the ending was lazy. It's actually clever. It just didn't hold up well as the show went on and the Ted-Robin pairing became annoying rather than charming.

It was never a show I went out of my way to watch. I'd record it and catch up to it eventually type of thing.

I'd equate the show to something like Mad About You. Popular during its time but quickly forgotten afterwards. If you've never seen it, it's not on that's good enough to go back and see.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The first few seasons are quality, but then it starts to go downhill.

Yeah, the first three or four seasons are quite good, but it goes downhill after that. I hated Barney and Robin together. Never bought it. I don’t hate the ending as much as some people do, but it’s still not how I would have wanted the series to end.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
First five or so seasons are comfort core TV. It doesn't end very well though. It's obvious after that point that they were stretching the story.

I still think I prefer it to Friends in that the characters of HIMYM seemed to have more natural chemistry. Neither show was remotely groundbreaking for its comedy writing.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
My wife and I watched it weekly, thought it was extra funny that Barney shared our last name.

It did have its ups and downs, but overall was pretty good as far as mindless TV goes. I remember the weekly thread here and the chaos around the finale - LOL.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I liked it overall at the time, finale just wasn't great. The show went on too long and they locked themselves into an ending that didn't really work anymore. It's definitely worse than I remember upon re-watch though.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I just finished watching it about a month ago - hated the ending at first, but thought it was quite brilliant afterwards.

First 4-5 seasons are fantastic , last season was a bit up and down.

Solid show, in my opinion.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I just finished watching it about a month ago - hated the ending at first, but thought it was quite brilliant afterwards.

First 4-5 seasons are fantastic , last season was a bit up and down.

Solid show, in my opinion.
I don't know about brilliant. It makes sense while still subverting expectations but it still felt kind of cheap to make Tracy such a likeable character and make their eventually meeting feel like nothing more than to say, Robin was the love of Ted's life. Tracy just kinda distracted him and gave him kids.

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I don't know about brilliant. It makes sense while still subverting expectations but it still felt kind of cheap to make Tracy such a likeable character and make their eventually meeting feel like nothing more than to say, Robin was the love of Ted's life. Tracy just kinda distracted him and gave him kids.

I hear you- I was a bit confused at first as to why they would do that to the viewer, as Tracy was a likeable character , but, and maybe it’s just the hopeless romantic in me, I liked that it was always Robin, and that he knew he loved her right away.

In the end I was glad Ted got all he wanted - kids - and Robin.

After reading up on the show the producers had planned Ted & Robin from the end of the second season.

Reactions: TB12

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Forget what you wanted to happen, how they executed the final season and finale, etc. Ted and Robin were proven time and time again to be terrible for each other as a couple. Having them end up together was just stupid and lazy. Without a doubt one of the worst series finales ever. Great show though over the first few seasons. Terrific chemistry between the five main characters and tons of great content for someone who grew up around the same time as those main characters.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I actually liked the ending. I thought much of the last season was garbage though (although I did like the girl and character who ended up being the mother.)

I'll turn it on from time to time now, but it's definitely not the same for me. I've come to realize how much I hate the Lily character and struggle to watch it as a result.

As for the humor, there's definitely some cringeworthy stuff but the guys still make me chuckle.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I actually liked the ending. I thought much of the last season was garbage though (although I did like the girl and character who ended up being the mother.)

I'll turn it on from time to time now, but it's definitely not the same for me. I've come to realize how much I hate the Lily character and struggle to watch it as a result.

As for the humor, there's definitely some cringeworthy stuff but the guys still make me chuckle.

i thought i was the only one that hated Lily and found her to be insufferable.

The rest of the show is great (first 4-5 seasons) and still re-watchable for me

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's basically Friends. Cookie cutter show that IMO oversteps its bounds as a comedy with far too many emotional scenes. I'm a big fan of Jason Segel but it's tough to overcome generic sitcom writing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It was fine for a watch through.

Not even close to a Friends or The Office level sitcom though.

On par with TAAHM for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad