TV: How I Met Your Mother

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I felt the same way. I can't say for sure, but when I re-watched it seemed like they were really setting up the ending and ultimate ending.

Were they? I mean, it certainly makes the kids look like the biggest pieces of shit if that's indeed the case :laugh:

Ted: "Kids, I'm going to tell you the story of how I met your (dead) mother."
Kids: "Aw man! Are we being punished?"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What makes you say that?

season 1 episode 21 MILK

Ted favorite book is
Love in the Time of Cholera

if you have read the book and know what it is about and how it ends--you would think that is pretty good
foreshadowing. HE was also reading the book when they met

in season 2 Single Stamina--we have Barney with a baby and Ted and Robin dancing

season 7 when they visit the grave of father Erickson--the grave next to his? MOTHER

Barney tells Ted he can have Robin after she turns 40 and that is was pretty much happened

The time travellers episode "I wish I had those extra 45 days"

IN episode one--one of the girls Ted meets is called Stacey --Older Ted says--and that is how I met your mother--joking

The Song playing in the back ground when they did finally meet?. "the funeral"

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Being surprised at Barney being one-dimensional is like being surprised that Balki doesn't quite understand American culture or Fonzie can't be out-cooled or out-tough-guy'd. Although I realize HIMYM did add levels of seriousness to Barney and turn his respectable, etc. But still, don't give it too much thought.

I mean he doesn't seem as annoying when you are watching the show week to week. It's just a bit jarring when you are binging 6-7 episodes in one sitting and watching him do the same thing in a slightly different way.
This show's lasting legacy may be that its the best lesson in not dragging out a show too long, and recognizing when the hang it up.
It was clear that they were stretching, and the "mother" twist became less effective the longer the show ran.

The showrunners likely felt compelled to keep it going because of money, and it's hard to blame them. But, the negative reaction to the final season torpedoed the shows dwindling reputation. While they may have gotten a payday attack the time, the showrunners have done very little since. This is during an era with the streaming wars when any showrunner with a decent reputation is commanding big dollars to crank out content, these guys seem unable to get anything out, despite the show being one of the most popular things on TV when it was on the air.

Although, I do think it's kind of funny that the failure of the planned spin off, How I Met Your Dad, likely saved Greta Gerwig from being tied down to as a sitcom actress, and instead let her become one's of the top rising directors in Hollywood.

To be fair it is not upto the showrunners to end the show, certainly not showrunners of a network comedy in the late 2000s. The best they could have done is threatened to quit the show if not given an early end date and even then CBS could have just decided to either call their bluff or replaced them with new showrunners. Not many show runners back then had the clout to twist the network's arm into ending the show for creative reasons, only the creator of The Sopranos and Lost were able to get that done back then.

The only way shows ended back then were either the ratings got bad enough to not justify keeping the show on the air or the cast got new contracts or were about to get new contracts that would skyrocket their pay and wreak havoc on the show's budget.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I mean he doesn't seem as annoying when you are watching the show week to week. It's just a bit jarring when you are binging 6-7 episodes in one sitting and watching him do the same thing in a slightly different way.

To be fair it is not upto the showrunners to end the show, certainly not showrunners of a network comedy in the late 2000s. The best they could have done is threatened to quit the show if not given an early end date and even then CBS could have just decided to either call their bluff or replaced them with new showrunners. Not many show runners back then had the clout to twist the network's arm into ending the show for creative reasons, only the creator of The Sopranos and Lost were able to get that done back then.

The only way shows ended back then were either the ratings got bad enough to not justify keeping the show on the air or the cast got new contracts or were about to get new contracts that would skyrocket their pay and wreak havoc on the show's budget.

It's a very good point. Showrunners have a lot more power now.

I'd also add that their success has probably opened doors for them that others wouldn't necessarily have, and if they haven't gotten any popular shows off the ground since, it may be that they don't have any better ideas in the hopper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad