how good was peak Martin Havlat?

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I remember that too. I also remember Heatley remarking "he gonna get eight tonight" after the fourth.

There was a time when I thought Havlat would become the best player in the league. And for periods, that's precisely what he was. He was fast like a wind and had plenty of skill. Also very, very entertaining to watch. Made of glass.

But not exactly soft:

This is a nice video but it focuses mostly on his years with Chicago and Minnesota when he already lost some of his explosiveness. I have yet to find a good highlight video from his tenure with the Sens.

One of the most exciting players in the world back in his day. The fastest skating Czech player I've ever seen, with a really quick pair of hands and the creativity/audacity to pull out crazy 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 moves. Sadly for him, his peak occured in an era of slow internet connections and a few years before the emergence of Youtube. There's not much to be found online now but he scored some absolutely filthy goals with Ottawa.

He was considered Jágr's heir apparent in the Czech Republic back around 2002. He was a bit soft and streaky, maybe a tad lazy sometimes, and injuries would totally derail his career down the road. Similar to Hemský in many respects, though I believe that Havlát was even more talented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippasus

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I once thought he was very underrated. That is until Minnesota signed him. Many fans celebrated when he was traded to SJ for Heater.
Havlat's agent used to cry to the team and press that his boy didn't get enough PP time or something. Kaptain Koviu had choice some words with him once during a practice wasn't working hard. He never fit in with Minnesota.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Rexor said:
Sadly for him, his peak occured in an era of slow internet connections and a few years before the emergence of Youtube. There's not much to be found online now but he scored some absolutely filthy goals with Ottawa.

I've always enjoyed this clip for multiple reasons.

It's certainly kinda funny hearing Heatley's thought patterns during the game.

This was a 10-4 shelacking that the Sens put on the Sabres shortly after Heatley joined the team and Havlat had just come off his five game suspension for kicking Hal Gill. Alfredsson and Havlat both ended up scoring 4 goals and Heatley scored two.

Near the end of the video you hear Dany talking to Spezza and Alfredsson after watching Havlat score another goal from the bench.

It's at around 0:31.

Sometimes you have to hear the legitimate reactions of other players to understand what he could do.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
This is a nice video but it focuses mostly on his years with Chicago and Minnesota when he already lost some of his explosiveness. I have yet to find a good highlight video from his tenure with the Sens.

One of the most exciting players in the world back in his day. The fastest skating Czech player I've ever seen, with a really quick pair of hands and the creativity/audacity to pull out crazy 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 moves. Sadly for him, his peak occured in an era of slow internet connections and a few years before the emergence of Youtube. There's not much to be found online now but he scored some absolutely filthy goals with Ottawa.

He was considered Jágr's heir apparent in the Czech Republic back around 2002. He was a bit soft and streaky, maybe a tad lazy sometimes, and injuries would totally derail his career down the road. Similar to Hemský in many respects, though I believe that Havlát was even more talented.

I know. I remember some of his Ottawa goals but can not find any. The one that stands out in my memory is a breakaway he finished with a deke with legs far apart, almost in a goalie split. He was definitely special. Stylistically, I saw him as a cross between Bure and Jagr (hope it does not offend anyone).

I've always enjoyed this clip for multiple reasons.

It's certainly kinda funny hearing Heatley's thought patterns during the game.

This was a 10-4 shelacking that the Sens put on the Sabres shortly after Heatley joined the team and Havlat had just come off his five game suspension for kicking Hal Gill. Alfredsson and Havlat both ended up scoring 4 goals and Heatley scored two.

Near the end of the video you hear Dany talking to Spezza and Alfredsson after watching Havlat score another goal from the bench.

It's at around 0:31.

Sometimes you have to hear the legitimate reactions of other players to understand what he could do.

Ha, that's the bench chitchat I was telling @vadim sharifijanov about.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know. I remember some of his Ottawa goals but can not find any. The one that stands out in my memory is a breakaway he finished with a deke with legs far apart, almost in a goalie split. He was definitely special. Stylistically, I saw him as a cross between Bure and Jagr (hope it does not offend anyone).

He actually did that a lot.

He’d cruise through the slot and he’d separate his legs wide and even plant the heel of his skate into the ice to control his speed and make little cuts back and forth.

We all felt that it put him in a very vulnerable position and wondered if it had anything to do with his groin injuries.

What’s funny is that Mike Fisher started doing it a little bit as well.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I'm sure it strained his groin pretty badly. I remember Roenick pulling his groin spreading his legs too wide trying to prevent offside call. Happened at the Olympics if I recall correctly.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I remember Havlat being the best player in the league for about 50 games for the Blackhawks in 06-07. Not unlike Saku Koivu a decade earlier. Hit that height and then got hurt and never quite reached it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad