How good can our power play be?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They need to start using Makar in any situation, maybe ease him into PK but sooner than later he needs to PK also to become a well rounded top d-man. If Byram sticks, I'm sure he'll also be used on PP then slowly PK also

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Our PP will only improve if two things happen....
1. We get shots on a more regular basis, meaning these self-less bastards need to shoot more and
2. We have some sort of presence down low to create deflections and clean up garbage.

I would put Kardi down low to begin with on PP1 for this reason alone. I'd also start with Makar on the point and tell him to shoot every time he sees a line from the point. If he doesn't have a shot, then he can play paddy-cake with Nate and Mikko. This team needs to learn to shoot more...this is not new, it's been a problem since 1995. This team has always been guilty of trying to over pass on the PP.

Reactions: Makar to MacK

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I think the split between PP and PK is pretty clear the way the roster is built:

PP1:

------------------ Landeskog ---------------
Mackinnon ------ Kadri ------- Rantanen
------------------- Makar -------------------

PP2:

------------------- Wilson ------------------
Donskoi --------- Jost ------ Burakovsky
------------------- Girard ------------------

PK1:

Bellemare ---- Compher
Zadorov ------ Johnson

PK2:

Nieto ------ Calvert
Cole* ------ Connauton

(* or Rosén/Barberio)

This way every forward and every defenseman is utilised, either on the PP or on the PK, which is the ideal way to structure a roster.

Love PP1 and also like the PK units. PP2 is laughably horrible. That said, I agree with these lines for the most part.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Love PP1 and also like the PK units. PP2 is laughably horrible. That said, I agree with these lines for the most part.
I agree, PP2 isn't amazing, but PP1 should see the bulk of the minutes.

Looking ahead, PP2 will get a big boost once we add Newhook, Kaut, and/or Byram to it by next year:

PP1:

PP2:

------------------ Compher -----------------
Kaut ------------- Jost ------- Newhook
------------- Girard / Byram --------------

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
It depends. The power play started out scoring at an insane clip (unit 1 was a little sluggish to start, but unit 2 was great) but then MacKinnon hit his shooting stride and they were at record-setting percentages. Then they hit a bit of a slump when the shots just weren't going in. I think one thing that they really needed was a net-front presence. Landy is good at that, no doubt, but his place is behind the net IMO. So go ahead and put Kadri there, but I'd try to keep him at that spot instead of the "rover" they like to have that fifth guy be. Make everyone else move around a little more--if there was one thing I didn't love about the power play, it was that guys as a whole did not skate enough.

Top power play unit is a no-brainer.

Landeskog - Kadri - Rantanen
MacKinnon - Makar

2nd power play unit may be a work in progress as Bednar figures out who belongs where on special teams.

Wilson - Compher - Jost
Girard - Connauton

Yes, I think they should try 2D at the point, as Connauton is, at present, one of the better shooters on the team. Maybe rotate Burakovsky in there somewhere if they choose.

Personally there are enough shooters, the question is whether they can attack the net and get to rebounds, which would take their power play from good and make it automatic.

Since you didn't ask, here's what I'd do for the penalty kill.

PK forward pairings (since they like to rotate them through very quickly)
Bellemare - Compher
Nieto - Calvert
Donskoi - Landeskog

PK defensive pairings
Zadorov - Johnson
???? (gonna have to see how it shakes out, but I hope Graves makes the team and they use him here, and eventually Cole will be here too)

Ultimately what matters most to me is that the power play scores in the clutch. I'd rather it do that than go on huge hot/cold streaks. At times I think they fall into the bad habit of depending too much on MacKinnon's shot from the left circle to do all their work for them. And when it's on, it is indeed that dependable. But like even the best players, he can hit a cold streak. They need to really crash the net more often and then I think they'll have one hell of a man advantage.

That first power play unit makes me salivate. Please let it be so.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Our PP will only improve if two things happen....
1. We get shots on a more regular basis, meaning these self-less bastards need to shoot more and
2. We have some sort of presence down low to create deflections and clean up garbage.

I would put Kardi down low to begin with on PP1 for this reason alone. I'd also start with Makar on the point and tell him to shoot every time he sees a line from the point. If he doesn't have a shot, then he can play paddy-cake with Nate and Mikko. This team needs to learn to shoot more...this is not new, it's been a problem since 1995. This team has always been guilty of trying to over pass on the PP.
I have a feeling that's gonna improve with Makar, he can shoot and he's good at getting his shots through.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I agree, PP2 isn't amazing, but PP1 should see the bulk of the minutes.

Looking ahead, PP2 will get a big boost once we add Newhook, Kaut, and/or Byram to it by next year:

PP1:

PP2:

------------------ Compher -----------------
Kaut ------------- Jost ------- Newhook
------------- Girard / Byram --------------

Fair enough and yeah, I agree that help is on the way but this season that unit looks like it'll be bad lol.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Lose:
Barrie ~4 minutes per game 25 points last year
Kerfoot ~2 minutes per game 16 points last year
Soda ~1:45 minutes per game 10 points last year

Gain:
Makar - will get Barrie's time, unknown production... say 17 points
Kadri - will slot on 1st unit, should push 20 points
Burakovsky/Donskoi - 2nd unit time... maybe 5 points each

I'd say there is a good chance the PP takes a step back. maybe from top 10 to top 15 unit.

Initially perhaps but I think by February of next year our PP units will be lethal.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Kadri can win a faceoff so it won't lead to an automatic clear for the other team.

Thank you for pointing out that winning FOs matters (especially in OT when on the PK for those that would argue the point).

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
What’s gonna be fun is that Makar won’t always have to drop pass to MacKinnon, the difference in speed between the two is fairly negligible

Never even though of this, good call. I remember Girard actually carrying it on a few occasions when he was playing PP1, and what a breath of fresh air that was.

Don’t care what anyone says, Makar is going to be an immediate plug and play PP1 defenseman. Even if he doesn’t score at the rate Barrie did, he’s going to create a lot of chances on the rush alone.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Unit 1
Landy-Kadri-Rants
MacK Cale

Unit 2
Donskoi/Wilson/Burakovsky-Jost-Compher
Byram-EJ/Girard

How good can this power play be?

source.gif

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I don't remember how it worked, but Nate, Landy and Rantanen all drew a lot of penalties last year. When they drew the penalties did they go right out there for the pp or did they get a break after their shift? Kadri also draws a lot of penalties so if he's on that top pp line, bednar may give them a 30s break. We might see that second unit start a lot of power plays to then quickly change to pp1 after these guys get a bit of a break.

For those that want to see: (not mine and doesn't include last year) IcyData » Penalties Dashboard

Nate is 4th for 2017-2018
Kadri is 14
Landy is 16
and Rantanen is 30.

Kadri also has a very similar shot heat map (can also be found on this website) on the pp to Landy, so I think he would be quite good in the Wilson spot. I really think that the first pp will be pretty lethal for the avs this year. Especially since they should get a lot of power plays due to their ability to draw penalties.

The issue is that on a lot of occasions the refs try to provide game management. Meaning the avs could be on the pk a lot too and the pk defensemen leave a lot to be desired this year with Cole out and Nemeth gone.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't remember how it worked, but Nate, Landy and Rantanen all drew a lot of penalties last year. When they drew the penalties did they go right out there for the pp or did they get a break after their shift? Kadri also draws a lot of penalties so if he's on that top pp line, bednar may give them a 30s break. We might see that second unit start a lot of power plays to then quickly change to pp1 after these guys get a bit of a break.

For those that want to see: (not mine and doesn't include last year) IcyData » Penalties Dashboard

Nate is 4th for 2017-2018
Kadri is 14
Landy is 16
and Rantanen is 30.

Kadri also has a very similar shot heat map (can also be found on this website) on the pp to Landy, so I think he would be quite good in the Wilson spot. I really think that the first pp will be pretty lethal for the avs this year. Especially since they should get a lot of power plays due to their ability to draw penalties.

The issue is that on a lot of occasions the refs try to provide game management. Meaning the avs could be on the pk a lot too and the pk defensemen leave a lot to be desired this year with Cole out and Nemeth gone.

By my observation they'd stay out there if the penalty was called on a short shift, but if they had been out there for a while then the 2nd unit would come out to start the power play.

That reminds me...the Leafs were by far the worst team in terms of drawing penalties last year, I wonder if they'll have the same struggles this upcoming season and if so, that'll definitely hurt Barrie's scoring totals.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
PP2 definitely does not look as strong, but the very different lunch pale style of last year worked pretty well in contrast to our top unit. There was something to pretty much all of them being willing to shoot and crash the net. Whoever and Girard were also able to gain the zone against PK2 units or tired PK1 units as well.

It does not look as pretty, but it worked last year, and should consistently have more talent than last year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My god, that PP1 has the potential to be really good. Problem is loading up PP1 makes PP2 very meh.

I don't know. Bura, Jost, Donskoi, Byram, and Girard have some pretty good skill for a second unit.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's not like the 2nd unit was star-studded last year either, but they were at times more effective for the simple reason that they'd crash the net and score more of the ugly goals whereas the top unit got too reliant on Nate sniping it from the left circle and/or Landy getting the perfect deflection. I imagine it'll be more of the same.

Still blows my mind that Babcock had one of the most lethal top unit power plays in league history and insisted on them splitting time with the 2nd unit, no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad