How good can our power play be?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Last season the Avs finished 7th in league in power play percentage at 22%.

Do you think we can improve on that, or are we going to take a step back? Do we have enough shooters?

Who would you put on the first and second power play unit?

Reactions: Gatorbait19

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
We have the tools to have a really good pp1 and average pp2. I still would like to see them try 3 forwards on pp2 with Z and Girard or at worse Girard and Graves If he makes the roster. Really need to find a dangerous aspect to the second unit and a big shot from the point would at least be something. Giving Z a bit more time and space might help with his accuracy issues and maybe his random snipes would become a bit more common.

I think it would at least give the 2nd unit a different look. Last season it seems like the 2nd unit ran the same shit as the 1st but with not nearly as much talent. When they only have 20 seconds maybe just keep it simple and blast pucks on net and look for rebounds.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Last season the Avs finished 7th in league in power play percentage at 22%.

Do you think we can improve on that, or are we going to take a step back? Do we have enough shooters?

Who would you put on the first and second power play unit?

It depends. The power play started out scoring at an insane clip (unit 1 was a little sluggish to start, but unit 2 was great) but then MacKinnon hit his shooting stride and they were at record-setting percentages. Then they hit a bit of a slump when the shots just weren't going in. I think one thing that they really needed was a net-front presence. Landy is good at that, no doubt, but his place is behind the net IMO. So go ahead and put Kadri there, but I'd try to keep him at that spot instead of the "rover" they like to have that fifth guy be. Make everyone else move around a little more--if there was one thing I didn't love about the power play, it was that guys as a whole did not skate enough.

Top power play unit is a no-brainer.

Landeskog - Kadri - Rantanen
MacKinnon - Makar

2nd power play unit may be a work in progress as Bednar figures out who belongs where on special teams.

Wilson - Compher - Jost
Girard - Connauton

Yes, I think they should try 2D at the point, as Connauton is, at present, one of the better shooters on the team. Maybe rotate Burakovsky in there somewhere if they choose.

Personally there are enough shooters, the question is whether they can attack the net and get to rebounds, which would take their power play from good and make it automatic.

Since you didn't ask, here's what I'd do for the penalty kill.

PK forward pairings (since they like to rotate them through very quickly)
Bellemare - Compher
Nieto - Calvert
Donskoi - Landeskog

PK defensive pairings
Zadorov - Johnson
???? (gonna have to see how it shakes out, but I hope Graves makes the team and they use him here, and eventually Cole will be here too)

Ultimately what matters most to me is that the power play scores in the clutch. I'd rather it do that than go on huge hot/cold streaks. At times I think they fall into the bad habit of depending too much on MacKinnon's shot from the left circle to do all their work for them. And when it's on, it is indeed that dependable. But like even the best players, he can hit a cold streak. They need to really crash the net more often and then I think they'll have one hell of a man advantage.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It depends. The power play started out scoring at an insane clip (unit 1 was a little sluggish to start, but unit 2 was great) but then MacKinnon hit his shooting stride and they were at record-setting percentages. Then they hit a bit of a slump when the shots just weren't going in. I think one thing that they really needed was a net-front presence. Landy is good at that, no doubt, but his place is behind the net IMO. So go ahead and put Kadri there, but I'd try to keep him at that spot instead of the "rover" they like to have that fifth guy be. Make everyone else move around a little more--if there was one thing I didn't love about the power play, it was that guys as a whole did not skate enough.

Top power play unit is a no-brainer.

Landeskog - Kadri - Rantanen
MacKinnon - Makar

2nd power play unit may be a work in progress as Bednar figures out who belongs where on special teams.

Wilson - Compher - Jost
Girard - Connauton

Yes, I think they should try 2D at the point, as Connauton is, at present, one of the better shooters on the team. Maybe rotate Burakovsky in there somewhere if they choose.

Personally there are enough shooters, the question is whether they can attack the net and get to rebounds, which would take their power play from good and make it automatic.

Since you didn't ask, here's what I'd do for the penalty kill.

PK forward pairings (since they like to rotate them through very quickly)
Bellemare - Compher
Nieto - Calvert
Donskoi - Landeskog

PK defensive pairings
Zadorov - Johnson
???? (gonna have to see how it shakes out, but I hope Graves makes the team and they use him here, and eventually Cole will be here too)

Ultimately what matters most to me is that the power play scores in the clutch. I'd rather it do that than go on huge hot/cold streaks. At times I think they fall into the bad habit of depending too much on MacKinnon's shot from the left circle to do all their work for them. And when it's on, it is indeed that dependable. But like even the best players, he can hit a cold streak. They need to really crash the net more often and then I think they'll have one hell of a man advantage.

Thanks for the deep analysis.

I’m very curious to see what Makar looks like on the man advantage. I really don’t know what to expect from him. Obviously his vision is very good, but I don’t know if his shot is good enough to take the pressure off Rantanen and MacKinnon. I’m not saying it’s not, I just don’t know.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
gonna be interesting to see Mackinnons chemistry with Makar on the PP. We saw it in the playoffs some but a full seasons worth. Damn gonna be fun.BTW, I fully expect Byram to be on the 2nd unit with Girard. I think Byram makes it out of camp and stays.

Byram and Girard on the second unit would be pretty sweet.

Reactions: klozge

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I feel like having Landy, MacK, Rants, AND Kadri on the same PP unit is too many shooters. Rants and MacK are both one timer threats on each dot, Landeskog tipping shots in front... Where does Kadri fit in? He's wasted in that role. I'd rather go with:

Landeskog - Compher - Rantanen
MacKinnon - Makar

Jost - Kadri - Burakovsky
Donskoi - Girard

Kadri can be the driver of his own unit in whatever position suits him best, and Compher can be the bump man on the first PP cleaning up rebounds and he isn't going to be misused if he never touches the puck.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Why? He is an insanely good shooter. We’re talking like top 10-12 in the league or something. Why the hell wouldn’t you want to take advantage of that while he’s in the lineup? And what better place than on the 2nd unit power play?

Top 12 in the entire league at shooting? Put the man with Girard!

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Why? He is an insanely good shooter. We’re talking like top 10-12 in the league or something. Why the hell wouldn’t you want to take advantage of that while he’s in the lineup? And what better place than on the 2nd unit power play?
elliott.jpg

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
I'm conflicted. I feel like Makar will be a better power play general than Girard, but I feel like LHD works better with MacKinnon on the half wall as it makes the one time from the line an option and should make give and goes easier.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I'm conflicted. I feel like Makar will be a better power play general than Girard, but I feel like LHD works better with MacKinnon on the half wall as it makes the one time from the line an option and should make give and goes easier.
Its not even close really. Makar needs to be on the 1st PP unit or Bednar has lost his mind.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
1st PP Unit takes a marginal hit this year without Barrie. Makar helps, but he won’t surpass what Barrie brought on the PP until next year.

2nd PP Unit is vastly improved with the addition of Kadri and (possibly) Donskoi, as well as the improvement from Jost, Girard and possibly Compher.

Overall, it’s a top 10 PP in the league, but fact of the matter is it won’t be great and/or top 5 unless we add 1 more piece to the 2nd Unit. I think we desperately need another playmaker there.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Obviously his vision is very good, but I don’t know if his shot is good enough to take the pressure off Rantanen and MacKinnon. I’m not saying it’s not, I just don’t know.
I remember while watching him the frozen 4 someone asked I think it was the UMass coach what part of his game still needed the most development, and he said the one timer from the point. Of course he scored on a one timer from the point pretty soon after. But from what I've seen it's usually not his first or even second option he goes with. But hopefully it's something he continues to develop to make himself even harder to read than he already is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Lose:
Barrie ~4 minutes per game 25 points last year
Kerfoot ~2 minutes per game 16 points last year
Soda ~1:45 minutes per game 10 points last year

Gain:
Makar - will get Barrie's time, unknown production... say 17 points
Kadri - will slot on 1st unit, should push 20 points
Burakovsky/Donskoi - 2nd unit time... maybe 5 points each

I'd say there is a good chance the PP takes a step back. maybe from top 10 to top 15 unit.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Don't Kadri and landeskog serve similar enough purposes to warrant spreading them out? People keep putting them on lines together, both 5v5 and special teams, and I'm wondering what we might see as the advantage

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I remember the same thing with Eric Gelinas. Guy had a cannon but was useless on the pp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad