How good can our power play be?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Sometimes I think Kadri will be wasted on PP1. With Makar, Mack, Mikko and Landy having the puck 98% of the time what is left for Kadri to do. Unless the Avs revamp their PP Kadri will certainly slide in Wilson's spot. If that is the case We might as well use Wilson there as he did pretty good in that spot. Let's use Kadri more efficiently on PP2. He will get a lot less PP time but IMO it will be benefit our PP overall. When PP1 were having problems for a while it wasn't because of having Wilson part of it. It was because the shooter stopped shooting and became playmaker as well. They were great when they were shooting and having Wilson taking the rebounds or scoring from a pass coming from below the goal line.

So again unless they change our PP strategy I don't see the need to have Kadri on PP1.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sometimes I think Kadri will be wasted on PP1. With Makar, Mack, Mikko and Landy having the puck 98% of the time what is left for Kadri to do. Unless the Avs revamp their PP Kadri will certainly slide in Wilson's spot. If that is the case We might as well use Wilson there as he did pretty good in that spot. Let's use Kadri more efficiently on PP2. He will get a lot less PP time but IMO it will be benefit our PP overall. When PP1 were having problems for a while it wasn't because of having Wilson part of it. It was because the shooter stopped shooting and became playmaker as well. They were great when they were shooting and having Wilson taking the rebounds or scoring from a pass coming from below the goal line.

So again unless they change our PP strategy I don't see the need to have Kadri on PP1.

Kadri has really nice hands in close around the net. He’d be a good Wilson replacement for cleaning up those rebounds and set plays.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't disagree with that but the difference between Wilson to Kadri in that area is not much but the difference between what kadri could bring to the PP2 vs Wilson is much bigger.

I think either way Kadri will fit fine. Gives us a super good player to add to PP2, or a big Wilson upgrade on PP1. Win-win to me.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Shuffle it around a bit so teams can't exactly study our PP. Makar/Girard, Kadri/ MacKinnon flip flop between the two units.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Having Kadri out there instead of Kerfoot, Jost, Compher, Wilson, Calvert, and whoever else they might've tried should be a boost to the top unit. I also don't think they'll lose much going from Barrie to Makar.

He wasn’t used on the PP. Hard to suck when you don’t play.

Hard to play when you suck though.

Reactions: avsfan09 and Ivan13

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What’s gonna be fun is that Makar won’t always have to drop pass to MacKinnon, the difference in speed between the two is fairly negligible
Yeah, that will be a nice one-two punch to fake out the opposing PK. I hope Bennett uses that because it would make zone entries somehow even easier.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
A couple things I'm interested in seeing.

First is Makar for Barrie. We lose a little bit on the shot for sure. Makar is more dynamic and covers more of the blueline though. Another thing I am VERY interested in seeing is Makar feeding MacKinnon for one timers. For as good as Barrie was, his passes were always a little bit behind or a little bit in front of MacKinnon for a one timer. Mack always had to stop it and couldn't unload a one timer. Barrie was never great at getting a pass into someone's wheelhouse.

Secondly, I know a lot of you guys have Kadri playing in the slot but I think we should put Landeskog there for tips and redirects, move Rantanen down lower on the right side (where Landy usually was but on the left) and put Kadri on the right half wall. I think his combination of playmaking and shooting can be leathel there. I like Rantanen down low where he can work his little passes and scoop up shots in tight.

Also to be honest I thought the 2nd unit last year was more consistently dangerous and worked the puck arou d much better than the top unit. They just didn't get the time nor do they have that high end skill to finish off plays into goals.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He was tried there wasn't he? He got time in NJ atleast.

Sure he was. Roy gave him an outstanding 9mins in 33 games. And he looked good in NJ on the PP. Geniuses traded for him in order to bolster the PP, but then Roy didn’t bother to use him there.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
df
Sure he was. Roy gave him an outstanding 9mins in 33 games. And he looked good in NJ on the PP. Geniuses traded for him in order to bolster the PP, but then Roy didn’t bother to use him there.
Fair enough. I just remember him looking useless in all areas. It's been a long time though.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

Kadri can win a faceoff so it won't lead to an automatic clear for the other team.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO

PP1:
Landy- MacK- Rants
Girard- Makar

PP2-
Bura- Kadri- Compher
Byram- Wilson/Jost

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
PP1:

---------------- Wilson -------------------
Mackinnon -- Landeskog --- Rantanen
------------------ Makar ------------------

PP2:

--------------- Compher -----------------
Jost ----------- Kadri ----- Burakovsky
----------------- Girard ------------------

Would like to get a RHS in place of Jost on the left of PP2 ideally. Maybe Donskoi could be tried there, or maybe just drop Wilson to PP2 and replace with Kadri on PP1 to make powerplays like this:

--------------- Landeskog -------------
Mackinnon ---- Kadri ---- Rantanen
----------------- Makar ----------------

--------------- Wilson -----------------
Donskoi ----- Jost ----- Burakovsky
--------------- Girard -----------------

That leaves Compher fresher for the PK, with the main pairs being Compher/Bellemare and Calvert/Nieto.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Unit 1
Landy-Kadri-Rants
MacK Cale

Unit 2
Donskoi/Wilson/Burakovsky-Jost-Compher
Byram-EJ/Girard

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
If Kadri is going to be our best faceoff guy he needs to take the draw on PP1 for that reason alone.
It'll be huge to not have to waste 30 seconds or more chasing the puck back to our end and trying to enter/set up to start a powerplay.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What do you guys see our PK looking like?
I think the split between PP and PK is pretty clear the way the roster is built:

PP1:

------------------ Landeskog ---------------
Mackinnon ------ Kadri ------- Rantanen
------------------- Makar -------------------

PP2:

------------------- Wilson ------------------
Donskoi --------- Jost ------ Burakovsky
------------------- Girard ------------------

PK1:

Bellemare ---- Compher
Zadorov ------ Johnson

PK2:

Nieto ------ Calvert
Cole* ------ Connauton

(* or Rosén/Barberio)

This way every forward and every defenseman is utilised, either on the PP or on the PK, which is the ideal way to structure a roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->