How far does Tampa go in the playoffs this year?

How far does Tampa go in the playoffs this year?

• Total voters

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
If Tampa lost to the team that chokes every year, does that mean they also choked last year? What about Boston vs. Florida?
I wouldn't say so considering it's the first time they had lost in the first round in like 5 years.... unlike anther team.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Amazing Cooper has been with this team for so long. If they are out in the first round this year maybe time to change horses behind the bench.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
Honest answer - I don’t think we have the depth to hang with the real contenders in the league but we’re capable of at least winning a series. Vasilevskiy can change all of that though.
I also was startled by the last Panther game when the they scored like 8 goals. That hurt. I can't recall if we had acquired Duclair yet.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
The “they ran out of gas” sentiment is so stupid. The years they won the cup they obviously played into June. They then were off for over 2 1/2 months before they even reported for training camp. I wholely reject this ever perpetuated notion that somehow two and a half months of rest isn’t enough and that fatigue carries over from one season to another. It’s excuses, nothing more. They didn’t play that many games more than some other teams did. What’s the cut off? Playing 3 rounds is one thing, but 4-7 more games, no way.
You might "reject" the idea about players running out of gas, but it's a fact referenced by former NHLers and present day players- more games have an effect on ones body and mind. They run out of gas because they are exhausted or overly extended. It's not rocket science nor opinion.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You might "reject" the idea about players running out of gas, but it's a fact referenced by former NHLers and present day players- more games have an effect on ones body and mind. They run out of gas because they are exhausted or overly extended. It's not rocket science nor opinion.

If we’re talking from the beginning of the season to the end of the same year playoffs, sure, but after months of rest, no. There is nothing tangible whatsoever to suggest fatigue carries over from one season to another. And even if it did, Tampa isn’t the only team this narrative should exist around yet they are the only one people mention it about

Last edited:

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
They have the experience and skill. After watching playoff hockey over the years I feel like experience is a big factor, maybe one of the biggest, but the Panthers now have much more than in previous match ups.

The bottom group has changed over the years, but the results have still been getting to the Cup last year and winning it the year before.

Losing Glendenning for his faceoff and PK still is a bummer. And dumba was not an upgrade, I think the defense overall has questions as Hedman can have a bad game here and there too. There have been past playoff games where Kuch looks off, but he doesn't generally have many of those in a row and I'd the same for Hedman.

Playoff Vasy is an absolute monster, and even in recent years where he had a bad game, he always bounced back. He's still one of, if not the, best goalies in the game.

Stammer has really turned it around as well.

If Kuch, Hedman, and Vasy are on top of their games and don't have bad streaks, they could go far. But if their defense fails and the Panthers defense does as well as they have been, it might be tough to get out of the first round.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
The “they ran out of gas” . The years they won the cup they obviously played into June. They then were off for over 2 1/2 months before they even reported for training camp. I wholely reject this ever perpetuated notion that somehow two and a half months of rest isn’t enough and that fatigue carries over from one season to another. It’s excuses, nothing more. They didn’t play that many games more than some other teams did. What’s the cut off? Playing 3 rounds is one thing, but 4-7 more games, no way.
Lightning's playoff series and playoff games since 2015
  1. Played 141 playoff games since 2015.
  2. Won 86 playoffs games since 2015 (Whole regular season worth of wins is crazy!)
  3. Have played 23 playoff series since 2015, still blows my mind writing that. Oh yeah, they had that one round robin playoff thingy too.
  4. Not 100%, but believe Lightning playoff wins totals are double, or doubled anyone else playoff totals for awhile since 2015. Think Vegas should be catching up to that doubled mark, after signing every NHL's franchised player at trade deadline for 3 yrs straight, but not sure like mentioned.
  5. Lightning went to 3 straight SCF's, almost pulled off 3-peat with best playoff goal scorer out injured. Not many teams has it all go their way, alone for 3 yrs straight. It happens and one has to overcome obstacles though....
  6. 3-peat was at end of 6 ECF's, 4 SCF's, and 2 "Cups" won in 8 yrs time. That's alot of playoff hockey in short time,and considering this was done against NHL's level of parity now. That wears me out!
  7. Witnessing the abuse Lightnings players went through series after series, hit after hit, and year after year gives one a better understanding how brutal playoff hockey is. Have total respect for what NHL players go through: many are tough SOB's, and feel this way about any NHL player, no matter what team they play for.
  8. It's not about how long off-season rest someone gets, it's about >>>>> How much rest some NHL players get compared to those who get less rest because they're playing brutal playoff series instead. That's the equation here.
Wonder if a fan, that thinks playoff miles don't matter, or add up: has ever felt tired after working extra weekends for months straight, and at same time, also had to stay up late because baby's needs come 1st? Or experienced other events that can wear one down from extra workload compared to what they're used too. Does a fan thinking playoff miles don't add up: think a roommate who sits home all day, all week, and all month long resting up. Is going to have same amount of energy as roommate working two very physical jobs for hrs on end? Nope, most likely not.

NHL player(s) sitting home during off-season -vs- NHL player playing toughest hockey for few extra months = Two total different paths/outcomes. That extra load within anyone's life adds up. No matter who, what, where: no one is immune to this and sports athletes aren't wind-up toys. They're human too. Any NHL fan thinking NHL playoff miles aren't different than resting home at same time. Must not be watching the same NHL playoffs we've been witnessing for years & years. Is there a G or PG version of NHL playoff fans on can tune into too or something? Sorry for being smartypants but sentiments so stupid deserve stupider replies, and deserve to be rejected.

Last edited:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Amazing Cooper has been with this team for so long. If they are out in the first round this year maybe time to change horses behind the bench.
Nope, think it would be mistake to get rid of Cooper. Actually think Cooper a has done one of best coaching jobs in his career this season. Jon Cooper has coach his tail of this season: especially when one considers all the injuries, "Cup" roster turnover, having to test different line combo's, use of Kucherov early in season to get struggling players going, Vasy not being right until late, etc. Cooper did one heck of a job this year. Was very cool watching improvements Lightning made throughout this yr. Another year of young players emerging and stepping up within Lightning system, great coaching had a bunch to do with that. Lightning's development team and coaching don't get credit they deserve, but what;s new?

Lightning's quickened "Cup" roster turnover. Has me thinking Jon Cooper earned time to get new Lightning bunch turned into well-oiled machine. That resembles bunch during 8 yrs of deep playoff runs and 3-peat attempts. Hopefully salary cap goes up enough so Lightning can build better team depth. Sure many teams across NHL are feeling this depth pitch.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The skill is still there, but the miles have added up. Same w Vegas.
Pretty much this and they really lack depth scoring and need Vasilevskiy to be at the top of his game and he hasn't been this year.

Florida is a really tough matchup for them IMO as well.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Depends if pre 23 playoffs shows up or postseason 23/24 season vasi show up. The defense is very weak this year with Sergachev being out .

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
  2. Won 86 playoffs games since 2015 (Whole regular season worth of wins is crazy!)
  3. Have played 23 playoff series since 2015, still blows my mind writing that. Oh yeah, they had that one round robin playoff thingy too.
  4. Not 100%, but believe Lightning playoff wins totals are double, or doubled anyone else playoff totals for awhile since 2015. Think Vegas should be catching up to that doubled mark, after signing every NHL's franchised player at trade deadline for 3 yrs straight, but not sure like mentioned.
  5. Lightning went to 3 straight SCF's, almost pulled off 3-peat with best playoff goal scorer out injured. Not many teams has it all go their way, alone for 3 yrs straight. It happens and one has to overcome obstacles though....
  6. 3-peat was at end of 6 ECF's, 4 SCF's, and 2 "Cups" won in 8 yrs time. That's alot of playoff hockey in short time,and considering this was done against NHL's level of parity now. That wears me out!
  7. Witnessing the abuse Lightnings players went through series after series, hit after hit, and year after year gives one a better understanding how brutal playoff hockey is. Have total respect for what NHL players go through: many are tough SOB's, and feel this way about any NHL player, no matter what team they play for.
  8. It's not about how long off-season rest someone gets, it's about >>>>> How much rest some NHL players get compared to those who get less rest because they're playing brutal playoff series instead. That's the equation here.
Wonder if a fan, that thinks playoff miles don't matter, or add up: has ever felt tired after working extra weekends for months straight, and at same time, also had to stay up late because baby's needs come 1st? Or experienced other events that can wear one down from extra workload compared to what they're used too. Does a fan thinking playoff miles don't add up: think a roommate who sits home all day, all week, and all month long resting up. Is going to have same amount of energy as roommate working two very physical jobs for hrs on end? Nope, most likely not.

NHL player(s) sitting home during off-season -vs- NHL player playing toughest hockey for few extra months = Two total different paths/outcomes. That extra load within anyone's life adds up. No matter who, what, where: no one is immune to this and sports athletes aren't wind-up toys. They're human too. Any NHL fan thinking NHL playoff miles aren't different than resting home at same time. Must not be watching the same NHL playoffs we've been witnessing for years & years. Is there a G or PG version of NHL playoff fans on can tune into too or something? Sorry for being smartypants but sentiments so stupid deserve stupider replies, and deserve to be rejected.
pretty insane honestly

Reactions: flying squirrel

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I had written like a whole point by point reply to this and I have no idea what happened when I tried to submit it but I lost the whole thing. I have no interest in re-doing the whole thing so I’ll just put a few quick coles notes and pray this one works lol

1. Tampas playoff record is incredibly impressive and I’m in no way disrespecting or minimizing their accomplishments if anyone is reading it that way. I am solely pushing back at the idea they are tired as it’s coming up again even after the last year where they only played 6 playoffs games.

2. The bulk of your reply to me seems to be jumping off of the idea that I somehow believe resting at home and playing playoff hockey games are the same which I definitely never said and do not think.

3. The idea of tallying up all their playoff history going back 8 years to justify them being “tired” presumes that the roster was the same over all those 8 years among other assumptions. Now obviously some of the players have absolutely been the same over that period, and in those cases, I’ll at least concede some strengthening of the argument, but there’s also been a lot of change as well. Unless the argument is now not just that fatigue carries over from one season to the next but also from one player to their replacement? :P (see I can be glib too)

4. I’ll make this the last one. To me, the idea of comparative off-season rest is nonsensical because it doesn’t take months to overcome fatigue. These are high performance athletes. My argument would be that, for example 2.5 months vs 3.5 months (for let’s say a team that goes 2 rounds) is not a meaningful difference. In short: how long does it take a typical NHLer to rest up and recover from drain of that year regular season and playoffs and presumably if they could do that in let’s say a 6-8 weeks, there is a point of diminishing returns. Of course more rest is preferable but does it actually matter? I’d posit that length of the offseason beyond 2 months only truly matters if there is a significant injury being rehabbed, but you don’t have to make the finals for that to apply

Last edited:
Reactions: Stammertime91

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

How exactly did they almost pull off a three-peat? They were completely dominated by the Avalanche, the only reason it went 6 is because they started interfering constantly and the NHL didn't call them on it because they wanted a longer series.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Their defense looks very weak. If Sergachev returns, they have a decent chance against the Panthers, otherwise forget about it.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Cooper’s seat should be ice cold. Lightning won 11 straight series then had an ice cold goaltender and some bad bounces against Toronto in round 1 the next year.

No shame in losing to a superior Panthers roster, so long as they put up a fight. Even if they don’t, it will be the first real disappointment in 5 years from a “not showing up” perspective.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Cooper’s seat should be ice cold. Lightning won 11 straight series then had an ice cold goaltender and some bad bounces against Toronto in round 1 the next year.

No shame in losing to a superior Panthers roster, so long as they put up a fight. Even if they don’t, it will be the first real disappointment in 5 years from a “not showing up” perspective.
Agreed. Good way of looking at it. Coop goes nowhere unless he wants to.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
How exactly did they almost pull off a three-peat? They were completely dominated by the Avalanche, the only reason it went 6 is because they started interfering constantly and the NHL didn't call them on it because they wanted a longer series.

"Completely dominated"

They outscored the Avs at even strength in that series, they lost because the Avs dominated the special teams game. Four games decided by one goal (Avs won three), two games that went to OT, both won by the Avs.

Avs won that series fair and square, not taking away any credit from them, but it definitely was a play here or a play there away from being a different outcome. The Avs had one game where they annihilated the Lightning, and the Lightning had one game where they annihilated the Avs. It was pretty even besides that.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah people set the narrative of that series in Game 1 and forgot everything else that happened it seems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad