How far does Tampa go in the playoffs this year?

How far does Tampa go in the playoffs this year?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I find it weird how no one is really talking about Tampa this season and as we near the playoffs.

For the longest time - every single season entering the playoffs Tampa seemed like the #1 favorite team to win the cup.

They were favorites in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022...not sure about last year, maybe/maybe not, but here we are again about to start playoffs. And for most of the year, they were fairly disappointing, often being out of playoffs vs in in the standings, and often depending a bit too much on Kucherov to get anything done.

But they've certainly been firing on all cylinders lately. They are in the playoffs now - as a wildcard true, but already with 96 points, and could reach 100.

Vasi hasn't exactly been great this year - but he pretty publicly stated last year he felt a bit burnt out/overworked, with 3 straight finals and 60 games played last season. He's played less this year, should be entering the playoffs healthier and fresh.

Is any forward in the league better in playoffs than Kucherov? You might argue for a few, but he's always stellar. Hedman has done great in playoffs. Point. They stlll have that fantastic core that won those cups. And they are well rested, unlike last 2 years.

They are definitely underdogs though. We also don't know their round 1 matchup yet. They will play Boston maybe. Or Florida. Maybe Rangers or Carolina. Does it matter? They've beaten all those teams in the playoffs before. So it's not like any of those teams has Tampa's number - it's usually been the other way around.

So - all that being said - how far does Tampa go in the playoffs this year? Make a prediction.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What changed since they lost to Toronto in the 1st round last year?

I think the Bruins seem beatable, but they're sort of beginning their death spiral as a contender I think.

Hedman, Vasi, and Stamkos aren't as elite as they used to be. And they lost a LOT of depth over the years. I mean Yanni Gourde was their 3rd Center for their last cup win, and they still had Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Colton, McDonagh and Maroon.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
They are definitely a dark horse, I could see them making ECF. Having to go through Boston and Florida as their most likely opponents in the first two rounds bodes well for them as they have owned both of these teams.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I hope they lose in the first round because Chicago has their 1st round pick.

But, I wouldn't put any money on it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Depends a lot on the first round match up.

My guess is we sneak through a round if we play Boston. Out in round 2.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I don't think they lose until they tire. There's something to be said for the stingy, wily, smart hockey they can play should the game require it, and you can't reject that experience and veterancy easily.

They are not at all the best team in the playoffs. Kucherov is an animal, Point's incredible, but Vasi is more of a question mark than he's been in the past, nothing beyond Hedman excites me, Stamkos is starting to look like he's got those miles on him, and their depth is not quite what it has been.

I love them against Boston or Florida, but it's quite likely to be Boston AND Florida, which feels like a task too tall for this team.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
They don’t have the depth they once had and some of their older stars are clearly declining, but the key is Point’s health. If he goes down again like he did the last two postseasons they’re done; if he stays healthy they’ve at least got a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I think the Bruins seem beatable, but they're sort of beginning their death spiral as a contender I think.

Hedman, Vasi, and Stamkos aren't as elite as they used to be. And they lost a LOT of depth over the years. I mean Yanni Gourde was their 3rd Center for their last cup win, and they still had Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Colton, McDonagh and Maroon.
They still have some pretty good pieces and experience that can make them a challenging out. Even with the loss of depth, Paul has stepped up, Eyssimont is turning into a decent piece, Hagel gets better each year while Cirelli continues to take on more responsibility while still maintaining good production.

On defense Hedman has had a fairly nice bounceback year while Raddysh has been a nice surprise and Perbix and Cernak continue to take on bigger roles. Serg is a big loss though but they've managed to play well without him

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

They had gone to 3 back to back finals going into last year. They ran out of gas. They should be more fresh this year.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
They had gone to 3 back to back finals going into last year. They ran out of gas. They should be more fresh this year.

So their 3 elite players are more well rested.
And that makes up for their entire depth sucking balls?

Their 3rd line for their last cup run had 3x 20 goal scorers:
Gourde, Coleman, and Killorn.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
They are way better than Boston on paper and should win if Vasy is evenly matched or better than Boston's goalies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So their 3 elite players are more well rested.
And that makes up for their entire depth sucking balls?

Their 3rd line for their last cup run had 3x 20 goal scorers:
Gourde, Coleman, and Killorn.

It doesn't fit your narrative but that wasn't their 3rd line.....

And neither Coleman, Gourde or Killorn had a 20 goal season in the last cup run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad