How far back does dirty play go?

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Fighting isn't "allowed", it's a penalty.

Fights happen in other sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Fighting isn't "allowed", it's a penalty.

Fights happen in other sports.

I'm going to assume English isn't your first language.
Fighting is met with removal from the entire game in all the other NA team sports. Why?

But why did that not become how they did it in hockey? I think that's a root point being asked but for some reason people are all giving it sass. I guess it's a better thread for the history section though.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Dan Carcillo was the last guy that was purely on the ice to injure, everyone now has to have some skill

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
“War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.”

~From Cormac McCarthy’s “Blood Meridian.”

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Chimps tear each other apart limb from limb, I'm sure it started when they put together that MVP movie with the monkey who plays hockey.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Fighting is met with removal from the entire game in all the other NA team sports. Why?

But why did that not become how they did it in hockey? I think that's a root point being asked but for some reason people are all giving it sass. I guess it's a better thread for the history section though.

Not true.

Fights happen in box lacrosse (NA teams) and are handles similar to hockey. Hockey isn't nearly the outlier that the OP is making it out to be.

Low effort OPs bug me as is, I'll never understand how someone would take the initiative to start a discussion thread, but not show enough respect to the user to use punctuation...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lol

Hockey has always been dirty, same with box lacrosse. It must be a Canada thing. Polite and nice except when you put us in a rink

Reactions: Jake Barnes

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Hockey was invented in 1918 by Odie Cleghorn so his brother Sprague could release some of his negative energy in a more "constructive" context.

Reactions: MXD

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Frank McGee, HHOFer and the offensive star of the 1903-1906 Stanley Cup dynasty Silver Seven, had to have a cast put on his arm for a broken wrist after the first game of a two-game series. But he knew the opposition would TARGET that arm with slashing if they knew it was injured. So, McGee shrewdly had the doctor put a big cast on his healthy arm and a small cast on his arm with a broken wrist and he simply covered that smaller cast with long sleeves and glove.

The mere fact that he would do that attests to the rough and dirty play of the time.

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
Players used to literally kill each other on the ice in the 1890s and 1900s. Look up the Alcide Laurin or Bud McCourt

Reactions: Johnny Engine

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I was under the impression that the game started gentlemanly, when amateurs (i.e. rich, idle noblemen) played it. When the game became professional and blue collar men realized a living could be made by playing it, it got progressively more brutal. Those guys were fighting to survive.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I was going to namedrop Alcide Laurin but somebody had already done it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad