How far back does dirty play go?

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
I mean, when ice hockey was invented 100 years ago, i would think the main objective was to score goals. when did nasty play and fighting start, and why was it allowed? there is no fighting allowed in other sports. so why here.

trying to look up dirty stuff from before my time, this one is good...... but when did something like this start, even back in 1910 or 1920?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The first ever indoor hockey game ended up breaking out into a post-game fight. Players used to stick fight. Hockey was violent enough that The Lady Byng dedicated a trophy in her name to honour the players that played clean and fair.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
December 12, 1933: Eddie Shore ended Ace Baileys career hitting him from behind face first into the ice. Ace got knocked out and started convulsing. Shore was later punched and also fell face first into the ice getting knocked out. Bailey had a fractured skull and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Fast forward a few months to February 14, 1934, the NHL organizes the Ace Bailey Benefit Game to raise money for the Bailey family which is widely regarded as the first NHL allstar game.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Dirty play was invented by the legendary Sprague Cleghorn in approximately 1910

Yup nothing like a guy who would spit tobacco juice in a goalies face as he was taking a shot.

Look back at the Ace Bailey near death by Eddie Shore.

Dirty plays have always been there, there's never been a gentlemen's version of hockey. I'm sure that when the fine young gentlemen from Princeton and Yale played back at the turn of the century there were three spears to the nether regions in the first two minutes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
December 12, 1933: Eddie Shore ended Ace Baileys career hitting him from behind face first into the ice. Ace got knocked out and started convulsing. Shore was later punched and also fell face first into the ice getting knocked out. Bailey had a fractured skull and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Fast forward a few months to February 14, 1934, the NHL organizes the Ace Bailey Benefit Game to raise money for the Bailey family which is widely regarded as the first NHL allstar game.

Not a bad snap shot of the NHL's roots. I had no idea. But yeah, the game was built, at least in part, on violence. Most people over 50, when they talk about hockey, they almost always bring up some sort of fighting, or at least a violent conflict of some kind that happened.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Brad Marchand's great-great grandfather Arthur Marchand invented slewfooting and clipping in the year 1884, killing 6 men in the process. He was granted the Order of Canada for his contributions to the national game but licked young Prince Albert at the award ceremony and was drawn and quartered in Halifax for the crime of lèse-majesté.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If anything, pro hockey has progressively become cleaner and cleaner as time has gone on until present day.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Sprague Cleghorn, Legendary Bad-Ass (from the History of Hockey HFboards)

Anyone with additional quotes on Sprague Cleghorn from players or newspapers is welcome to submit them to this thread.

SPRAGUE CLEGHORN (1890-1956)
[Henry William Sprague Cleghorn]

P195803S.jpg

I want to pay tribute to one of the most colorful hockey characters of all time.
There was probably no one tougher, meaner, intimidating or savage than old ‘Peg’.
Some of the things that he did back then in a hockey rink would render him jail time today and a lifetime ban from hockey.

He played in an era when the sport was excessively brutal.
God old ‘Peg’ estimated that he had sustained well over 80 different injuries during his playing career and that there were more than 50 so called “stretcher cases” that he had caused.
That’s something like one in every ten games that he played in!

Cleghorn was labeled as a master of the ‘shave’. This gentle art was done by bringing the blade of the stick forcibly into contact with an opponent’s ankle. Another favourite move of his was the butt end in the ribs. Nobody executed that better than Cleghorn.

He formed among the toughest defensive tandems ever with such players like Billy Coutu, Bert Corbeau and Lionel Hitchman. He mentored Bruins greats like Eddie Shore and Dit Clapper, working constantly with both of them in trainings.

"Eddie was the greenest pea you ever saw when he came to the Bruins," Sprague once said in an interview. "I helped develop his puck-carrying style by placing chairs on the ice a certain distance apart. He rushed with the puck, swerving in and out around the chairs. Of course, he had natural ability, but it had to be brought out."

Not only was Cleghorn a natural leader, captaining, the Wanderers, Canadiens and the Bruins, but he was also one of the best defencemen ever and was twice the runner-up for the Hart Trophy as the MVP in the NHL.

In 1923/24 he finished only one vote behind Frank Nighbor in a tight contest that saw three players within two votes of each other (Nighbor 37 votes, Cleghorn 36, Roach 35).

In 1925/26 he anchored the Bruins defense and finished 13 votes behind Nels Stewart (88 and 75 votes respectively).

Very few players at that time had the same ability to skate backwards as fast and effortlessly as Cleghorn. His eye was never off the puck. He was masterful at intercepting passes and then making a flying break for the other end of the rink.

Dubbed the original iron-man, Cleghorn was also very durable despite his extremely physical approach. It was said that he once played 76 straight full games without ever stepping outside for a rest.
Tommy Gorman, Cleghorn’s GM once said:

“Now athletes have to take time out with bruised ankles and other minor ailments, but Sprague wouldn’t think of missing a game unless one of his arms or legs was broken and dangling loose. He didn’t know what it meant to rest up.”

Cleghorn was known for his almost legendary grudge against Ottawa in the first few years after being traded from there. The games against Ottawa brought out the best in him. In the first 30 games against Ottawa he had 23 points (13+10) and a hefty 119 penalty minutes.

After one of his rampage performances against Ottawa in 1923 where he injured three players, he appeared in the Capital again with Montreal, and almost blew the roof off the Ottawa rink. He displayed a steely nerve and daring which have seldom, if ever, been equalled. In advance of all other players, including either his own teammates or the Ottawa men, he vaulted the rail to the ice, and the rink literally shook under the catcalls and jeers sent up to the rafters by the many Ottawa fans who took a dim view of the rugged defenceman.

Cleghorn was not to be stopped so easily, however. He stood alone, in the centre of the ice, while the assembled mass bellowed its hate and derision. Cleghorn stayed cool. Then, with a daring that practically invited destruction, he performed a slow complete circuit, saluting the roaring, maddened crowd with his thumb to his nose as he wheeled. Remember that this was almost 55 years before the movie Slap Shot. No one could deny his cool nerve and, probably deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, no one ever did.

Sprague Cleghorn was extremely protective of his brother Odie, and never allowed anyone laying a hand on him. In December 1912 for example Newsy Lalonde smashed Odie into the boards. Sprague got furious, skated over and bashed Lalonde over the head with his stick, causing 10 stitches. Sprague was fined $50 in a Toronto court for assault. NHA president Emmett Quinn suspended Sprague Cleghorn for four weeks but reinstated him after one game.

Newsy Lalonde sent a letter to the court being very gracious about the whole incident:

“Sprague saw his brother fall and saw that he was bleeding and apparently lost control of himself when he saw his brother was injured. As far as I am concerned, I do not hold any hard feelings against Sprague for having struck me, and I do not desire him to be punished further.”

Cleghorn almost lost the Stanley Cup in 1924. Leo Dandurand, then the Canadiens president and manager, invited the team to his home for a party to celebrate the Stanley Cup victory.

Cleghorn was holding the trophy on his lap in Leo’s car when a tire blew out. Cleghorn got out to help fix it and the journey had started again when someone missed the cup. Leo drove back to the spot where the puncture was fixed. There was the mug, hockey’s greatest trophy, lying on the curb where Cleghorn had left it.

He was married three times and had his share of problems off the ice as well. He once made headlines for assaulting his wife with one of his crutches when he was nursing a broken leg, and he also cheated on her.

But what many people don’t know is that off the ice Sprague Cleghorn was known as a great practical joker. One night while he was managing Montreal Maroons, the Governor General of Canada was present in the Montreal Forum as patron and guest of honour at a big Christmas-basket charity boxing event. He was invited to the Maroon dressing room to meet the players, who were hurriedly summoned. Just as the Governor General and his staff were making a dignified entrance, the president of the Maroons, a horrified Jimmy Strachan noticed Cleghorn had a “metallic-buzzer” attached to his hand. He was instructed, in hasty whispers to get rid of it. “Surely” said Strachan. “you were not going to shake hands with the Governor General wearing that thing?”

“Certainly I was,” said Cleghorn. “The boxing show is poor, the Governor looks bored, and deserves some sort of a thrill.”

Strachan explained later: "I had a brain wave, and I had it just in time. That gol durn Sprague was all set to give the governor general the buzzer. Can you imagine what would have happened?"

Frank Selke described Cleghorn as “a practical joker in a game which was becoming steadily more serious. He could tell a funny story when pressure on his team was heaviest, iron nerves undisturbed by sports crises.”

Even his brother Odie couldn’t escape his practical jokes. Although both Odie and Sprague were known as fancy dressers, Odie was the more polished performer, opposite to his explosive brother. Once, when the brothers were leaving Vancouver for the east by train, Sprague placed a dead pigeon among his brothers’ silk shirts - a thing that Odie didn't discover until the Prairies, when the pigeon was very ripe.

But it was as a no-nonsense defenceman that Sprague Cleghorn made his mark and reputation.

When Hall of Famer King Clancy was only playing in his third NHL game, he was about to face Montreal Canadiens and the feared Cleghorn. Clancy’s father had a legitimate worry that his boy might get badly hurt, so in between periods, the elder Clancy waited until the Canadiens came off and headed for their dressing room. He stopped Cleghorn and warned him not to carve his young son.

Cleghorn wasn’t known for retorting courteously any more than for his disregard for any opponent’s well-being. He replied: “Mr.Clancy, tell your boy to stay out of my way or I’ll ram this stick down his throat.”

King Clancy escaped unhurt that night, but not later on. Once he pulled the old trick of pretending to be a teammate and calling for the puck when Cleghorn was rushing, and Cleghorn fell for it. When the game ended Clancy was walking to the dressing room to the cheers of fans and heard a friendly voice say, “King.” Clancy turned and Cleghorn turned out Clancy’s lights. “Jesus did he hit me a beauty,” said King many years later.

During the 1926/27 season, the Toronto St. Pats had a tough rookie, by the name of Bill Brydge. He was a feared open ice hitter with a low gravity and solid balance on his skates. At 5-9 and 195 Ibs he was stocky and muscular.

Brydge picked up 8 penalties in the first three games against Boston and was quite cocky. Well, what he didn’t know was that Cleghorn registered all that. Brydge thought that Cleghorn didn’t pay any attention, but he did, and in the fourth game poor Brydge had to leave the game bleeding like a pig, courtesy of Cleghorn, ending up with 50 stitches. Brydge never played against Cleghorn again.
As brutal as he was, Cleghorn took it all in stride. "I never did anything to anybody who never did anything to me”, he once said.

When Sprague Cleghorn died in 1956 after being hit by a car it had a devastating effect on his brother and best friend Odie. The pair were inseparable and Odie was so heart broken that he died of a heart attack just six hours before his brothers funeral.

Sprague Cleghorn’s old nemesis and friend, Newsy Lalonde held Sprague in high esteem and was also devastated by the news of his death.

“He was one of the best -- he could shoot like the dickens and skate like the dickens. I played both with and against Sprague. I don't know of a more sincere and tough competitor. We had our little tiffs on the ice like all hockey players, but we soon got over them,” Newsy told the Montreal Gazette.
A couple of days later Newsy Lalonde suffered a heart attack of the distress.
His wife reported that Newsy had been, talking "almost continually" of Sprague Cleghorn since that old-time hockev star died.

There will never be another Sprague Cleghorn in hockey, the meanest player (on the ice) of all time.

Some quotes on Sprague Cleghorn:

“Hockey is a tough game nowadays [the 1960s], but is a picnic compared to what it used to be. The [Joe] Halls and [Billy] Coutus and [Sprague and Odie] Cleghorns have no counterparts in the game now. If you were lucky enough to skate by them in one piece they’d turn and hook their sticks at your face or crack you over the head. That Cleghorn, why, that son of a ***** was an unwashed surgeon.”Jack Adams

“Boy, was he mean, and he was really feared – maybe the most feared by other players. I remember as a rookie I went into New York and did a foolish thing. I got in a row with Lionel Conacher, who was with the Americans. That was a mistake, but then we went into Boston and I made a bad error. There had been a goal that Boston claimed was offside. I was standing beside Cleghorn and just mentioned that the goal was OK. He just hauled off and flattened me. I was on the ice and thinking of getting up. I think it was Bill Brydge who leaned over and said ‘stay down, or you’ll get killed’.” – Ace Bailey

"It makes me laugh when they talk about violence in hockey today. You may not believe me but guys like Newsy Lalonde and Mean Joe Hall and Sprague Cleghorn and Lionel Hitchman were out to kill each other. Ching Johnson of the Rangers had a smile on his face the whole game, smashing everybody he could get close to with his stick." - Dink Carroll

“He was a block of granite. Sprague was one of the best as well as one of the roughest players the game has ever known. He was once asked how many fights he had in his NHL career and he replied, “do you mean just stretcher cases?” He’d skate over to the Montreal bench where they kept a big can of talcum powder, sprinkle some of it on his hockey glove, and then run the glove up and down the shaft of his stick. Then he’d glare over at our bench and we knew that he was ready – ready to give one of us the butt end of his stick. We’d begin to wonder which one of us would be nursing cracked or broken ribs before the night was over. Sprague could slip that butt end into you like a knife.” – King Clancy

“He was my brother and I don’t like to boast, but I never saw a tougher or better defenceman than Sprague.” – Odie Cleghorn

“If some of the longhairs I see on the ice these days [the 1970s] met Sprague Cleghorn, he’d shave them to the skull. Jesus, he was mean. If you fell in front of Cleg, he’d kick your balls off.”Red Dutton

“A vicious player. Sprague Cleghorn once hit Eddie Gerard across the throat with his stick and Gerard lost his voice forever. Cleghorn was a tough customer, and he was a big man too. One night Buck Boucher was down on the ice and Cleghorn kicked Buck. But, oh, Cleghorn cut them all – Gerard, Nighbor, Cy Denneny – with his stick. Well, I did hit Cleghorn one time – And he went down. Oh, he was treacherous. Oh, he was tough.”Frank Finnigan

“Cleghorn was a murder-man in hockey with no holds or hits barred. One of the greatest players but also one of the strangest character in sports. He was also a grand chap off the ice and still one of my close friends”

"He played a leading role in the championships we won in those years, because he was fearless and a terrific two-way performer. He was ice-cold and the slugger type. He gave the younger fellows on the club all the confidence in the world because he went out of his way to protect any fellow playing on his side. I might also add that Sprague didn’t need any excuse or reason to knock down or hurt an opponent. He liked trouble on the ice, reveled in the heavy going."–
Tommy Gorman

“I’ll tell you Sprague Cleghorn was the meanest, toughest and smartest defenceman in the game.” – Aurel Joliat

Some newspaper clips

The Sun – March 18, 1911

“Sprague Cleghorn got ugly, slashed Ross over the head and retired for two minutes.”

Toronto World – December 23, 1912

“It is hard to say, but very seldom does one see such a gross piece of work as S.Cleghorn pulled off. Still this can be said in favor of the other players that up till the last ten minutes the only two who tried to pull off roughhouse tactics were the Cleghorn Bros. Both Odie and Sprague Cleghorn repeatedly made jabs at Lalonde’s head, but luckily were unable to land him.”

“When Newsy checked Russell it was nothing more than a stiff body check and the force the two men were travelling at put both of them flat on the ice, but a man who will deliberately skate up and smash another with a stick over the head when he is lying on the ice, is a contemptible individual and should be put where he belongs. And why is this allowed? One asks and the reply is that it is sport.”

“Just at the end of the period Cleghorn hit Lalonde and he had to be carried off. In the extra time S.Cleghorn secured after four minutes and came thru and scored by himself.”

“Referee Melville had fined Cleghorn $25 for the offence, and the meeting decided that this was totally inadequate. They made it a four weeks’ suspension and a further fine of $50. As Cleghorn’s salary is $150 per week, the assault will cost him just $675.”

New York Times – March 11, 1913

“Sprague Cleghorn excelled in dazzling serpentine runs down the ice.”

“Sprague Cleghorn holding his stick with one hand blocked his opponent with the other and bore down on the Ottawa net in many a speedy dash”

“Then with lightning speed Sprague Cleghorn sped from one side of the rink to the other until he was well in the enemy's territory and scored from a difficult angle”

“Sprague Cleghorn had scored after another dodging journey through the Ottawas”

Calgary Herald – March 1, 1915

“The only major penalty imposed when Sprague Cleghorn cut Scott’s eye open with his stick as the pair went to the ice together after a collision. For this Cleghorn was sent to the bench for five minutes, while Scott was forced to retire.”

Ottawa Journal – March 15, 1915
A typical Sprague Cleghorn game

“In the first period, Sprague Cleghorn, who roughed it up in great style, put Duford, Darragh, and Graham out of the game in the first period.”

“Sprague Cleghorn hit the goal post after one of his sensational dashes.”

“Sprague Cleghorn literally wore himself out with his attempt to score.”

“Once Sprague Cleghorn rushed across the ice and smashed the Ottawa right wing man [Broadbent] across the arm deliberately and got away with it.”

“Sprague Cleghorn and Ross exchanged taps, and both were sent to the penalty box.”

“Sprague Cleghorn returned to the game and sent Duford sprawling.”

“Sprague Cleghorn deliberately chopped Graham, who was helped off the ice.”

“Sprague Cleghorn had no sooner returned to the ice than he skated across and rammed Jack Darragh in the shoulder with his stick. It was a charge of deliberate nature, and as Darragh had to be carried off the ice, Smeaton gave Cleghorn a major foul.”

“Sprague Cleghorn came under Wood’s eye for slashing at Ross and went to the timers again.”

“Sprague Cleghorn rocked Broadbent with a terrific body at the side of the rink. “Punch” didn’t see the Wanderer man, and had the breath jolted out of him.”

“The Wanderers’ chances became slimmer when Sprague Cleghorn dropped off with an injured leg. The elder Cleghorn had been playing as if his very life depended upon it, and his absence had a noticeable effect.”

La Presse – February 22, 1917
(Translated from French)
Cleghorn picked up 16 penalty minutes of the 121 in the game and was fined $5 for foul language.

“Let’s add that towards the end of the game. Sprague Cleghorn shoved [Hamby] Shore into the boards, where the latter cracked his head.”

Washington Post – January 8, 1919

“Even brotherly love takes a back seat in the rough and tumble scrambles in the Dominion as shown by the recent clash between Odie and Sprague Cleghorn, who once played amateur hockey in New York. Odie now plays on Les Canadiens and Sprague on the Ottawa team of the big Eastern Canadian League.”

“When these two teams met in Montreal Odie raced down the ice swinging the puck ahead of him and Sprague essayed to stop him. Odie was getting past his brother, when, according to the Canadian papers, Sprague rapped him over the head with his hockey stick... Odie didn't take the count for a wonder and was getting ready to return the compliment in kind when the officials intervened.”

Montreal Gazette – February 9, 1920

“In the second period, Cleghorn and Wilson came to blows and were banished, and in the third Matte charged into Gerard and Boucher immidiately jumped into Matte. Both Matte and Boucher were banished and when they reached the penalty bench they started a melee, in which Prodgers, Cleghron, referee Smeaton and the police joined.”

Montreal Gazette – February 12, 1920

“Sprague Cleghorn rushed and was apparently through the Canadien defence for a goal. Couture hooked him from behind and Cleghorn swung back. The two clinched and went to the ice with Cleghorn on top and punching away wildly at the Canadien forward’s head. Both were given penalties and sent off for ten minutes, in addition to which referee Marsh tacked on a fine of $15.”

Montreal Gazette – December 28, 1920

“McCarthy was knocked out and Cleghorn was given a major foul.”

Ottawa Journal –January 9, 1922

“Aside from the slugging tactics of Sprague Cleghorn the game, though hard checking affair, was not unduly rough. Cleghorn, however, spoiled what would have been one of the greatest matches on record. In the second period he chopped Frank Nighbor over the left arm and almost paralyzed it.
Nighbor had to retire and the Ottawas were without him for sixteen minutes. It was a wonder that the arm did not break. Cleghorn escaped for this foul, and a few minutes afterwards he deliberately charged into Goaltender Clint Benedict, jabbing him near the right eye. Benedict was knocked cold and play had to be delayed while he was revived. Cleghorn got a five minute penalty for this, and it proved a costly one to Canadiens for while Ottawa did not score during his absence, his loss demoralized Canadiens, and they wilted after he returned.
Cleghorn was only back in the game for a few minutes when he slashed George Boucher across the nose, almost smashing it. Boucher continued, but under great difficulties as he was cut in two places and his face swelled painfully. Cleghorn served three penalties in the second session. Nighbor, Benedict and Boucher being his chief victims, though he gave [Punch] Broadbent a wicked cross check after “Punch” had slammed in Ottawa’s second goal and subsequently threw [King] Clancy head foremost into the boards.” Smeaton ought to have given Cleghorn a match foul for his attack on Benedict, which would have checked the rough work at once.”

Montreal Star – January 23 1922

"Sprague Cleghorn was struck in the groin by one of Babe Dye's terrific drives. Cleghorn declares it was deliberately intended to injure him, this being the cause of Cleghorn checking Dye heavily later in the game. Cleghorn was confined to bed all day yesterday. Boucher had four stitches put in his head as a result of a crack from Randall. Boucher's head and neck were covered with blood all through the latter stages of the game. Odie Cleghorn was bruised about the body as a result of much butt-ending. The Saints got away with much holding when close to their nets. Cleghorn being the victim of many half-Nelsons.”

Ottawa Journal – February 3, 1922

“Cleghorn undoubtedly was given a “ride” such as no visiting athlete ever received here. In a way, one could not help but admire his magnificent courage in facing the throng as he did, and certainly no one could hurl the epithet of “coward” at the Blonde Express.
Cleghorn is a great hockey player, and there was no necessity for his acting as he did. He is carrying a grudge against a number of the Ottawa players whom he thinks forced him off the champion’s team, and probably caused him a salary reduction and loss of world’s series money this year. He is alleged to have remarked that he intended to put his mark on several of the Ottawa players this year, and if he did is more than making good the threat.
The career of Cleghorn is in many ways a tragedy. Probably the greatest defensive hockey player since the days of Hod Stuart, he is on the verge of concluding his career in a manner that will cause fans to remember only his bad behavior, and obscuring his real worth as a player.””

Ottawa Journal – March 6, 1923

“Sprague Cleghorn turned in a clean and perfect game. His checking was a treat, and on the attack he was a very dangerous man.”

Ottawa Journal – March 8, 1923

"In the last few minutes of play Hitchman. Ottawa's recruit from the amateur ranks, was sent into the fray, and he was immediately jostled about by both Odi and Sprague Cleghorn. A few moments before the final gong sounded the tall youth started down the ice with the puck and Sprague Cleghorn came out to meet him, crross-checking him over the left temple, Hitchman came up smiling, but with blood streaming from bis head, and was taken out of the game. He later collapsed and had to be carried from the rink.”

Ottawa Journal – March 9, 1923

“Sprague Cleghorn, when I asked him about the cutting down of [Lionel] Hitchman, said that when he went up the ice just as the big Ottawa defence relief man came on, and was stopped by him, Hitchman made the remark: “That’s one for you, and there’ll be one for every trip you make this way.” Sprague told him then angrily that he would receive similar treatment when he started towards the Canadiens’ goal. Then Sprague says Hitchman grinned at him and said: “You couldn’t hurt a flea; you haven’t got it in you.” According to the manager of the Canadiens, this aroused Sprague’s ire and he “got” Hitchman just to show the latter that he had it in him.”

Montreal Gazette – January 3, 1924

“Cleghorn was a treat defensively. Not once during the entire game did he attempt to rough matters with the striped crew that kept banging away at the Montreal defence, but he used his body legitimately and broke up many a rush that looked dangerous.”

Ottawa Journal – January 12, 1924

“Sprague Cleghorn butted Broadbent in the head, and escaped undetected.”

Montreal Gazette – January 14, 1924

“Red Stuart’s lone rushes were a feature of the game, and although he received a nasty cut on the forehead from Sprague Cleghorn’s stick early in the second period, finished the individual star of the game. Sprague was given a match foul, which had much to do with the defeat of the visitors.”

Montreal Gazette – February 4, 1924

“Twice in the last session Cleghorn was penalized for too vigorous attention to Lionel Hitchman, the rugged Ottawa defence man. The first trip was a minor, but the second was a five-minute rest for carrying a high stick, which caught Hitchman on the head and sent him sprawling to the ice.”

“George Boucher was given an enforced rest for a too promiscuous use of the butt-end of his stick on Sprague Cleghorn.”

“George Boucher was stopped heavily by Sprague Cleghorn, and wrenched the cartilage i
of his right knee which necessitated his retirement from play.”

“President Frank Calder issued a ruling against the defence player of the Canadien Club.
The ruling made against Cleghorn is as follows. “Sprague Cleghorn, for carrying his stick in such a manner as to endanger opposing players, after having been warned against so doing, is suspended from taking part in any game until further notice.”

Winnipeg Tribune – February 22, 1924

“Frank Ahearn president of the Ottawa Hockey Association, will quit the game for good at the end of the present season. He is taking this step as a result of the recent decision of the N.H.L. In which they threw out the Ottawa charges against Canadiens. Mr.Ahearn presented to the meeting sworn affidavits that Sprague Cleghorn had deliberately set out to injure his players and backed this up with statements of the players concerned. Cleghorn was called in to the meeting and, after hearing the affidavit, denied charges in their entirety. “My sworn affidavit was thrown while Cleghorn's unsworn and unsupported statements were accepted." says Mr. Ahearn. "Since that time Cleghorn has maimed another Ottawa Ottawa player and got off with a small penalty."When Frank Ahearn made his charges he was sincere. He forsees full well what Cleghorn is going to do some day. Yet his sworn affidavits are chucked out. He has the courage to back up his own cornvictions, and you must certainly hand it to him for that.”

Montreal Gazette – December 15, 1924

“Just before the game ended Sprague Cleghorn was given two minutes for a minor offence. He started to argue the point with referee O’Leary, who promptly brought the penalty up to a major. Cleghorn skated after the official to demonstrate further and shoved him from behind, the arbiter just as promptly ordering the Canadien captain off for the remainder of the match. The matter was amiably settled after the game.”

“Barring his fray with referee O’Leary, Sprague Cleghorn turned in a magnificent game. Besides his sturdy play in breaking up rushes of the Hamilton attack, he featured in the Canadien goal-getting. He scored Canadiens’ second goal, to give the locals the lead in the first period and led the attack early in the second session that left Coutu in position to bring the margin to two goals. Later he went through alone in a swerving, tricky thrust that added further to the lead and settled beyond all question the result of the game.”

Montreal Gazette – January 15, 1925

“Sprague Cleghron and Billy Boucher drew the two majors, Cleghorn for cracking Gerald Munro over the face when the latter was carrying the puck.”

“Sprague Cleghorn went down alone, outguessed the Montreal defence and went right in on Benedict to score.”

Ottawa Journal – January 22, 1925

“In Montreal last night Sprague Cleghorn forgot his dignity and composure and his bishop-like calm to tap Bert Corbeau, the St.Pats undertaker, across his alabaster brow, and apparently Corbeau reclined for some time in what was described as a pool of blood.”

“Sprague Cleghorn cross-checked Corbeau in the face while the latter was waiting to check a rush. Corbeau fell to the ice badly cut, with blood streaming from a deep gash. He was assisted from the ice leaving a pool of blood.”

Montreal Gazette – January 26, 1925

“Sprague Cleghorn was the centre of the fight which started between him and George Boucher, and while they were battling the spirit of conflict spread to the other members of the team, even the subs on both sides taking a lusty and prominent part in subsequent proceedings.”

“Boucher rushed and Cleghorn stopped him and both went down. Hundreds maintain that while they were on the ice Cleghorn lunged not once but several times at Boucher’s face with his skates. “Buck” had his hands over his face, and maintains that Cleghorn deliberately tried to cut his face open with his skate. Many of the right-hand side of the rink were of the same opinion. The writer did not see this part, as his attention was distracted by a fight which started near the press box. After that Cleghorn was seen to stoop down as though to lift Boucher up.”

“Did I hurt you, George? He is reported to have said. Boucher, enraged at what he thought was a deliberate attempt to maim him, struggled free and the two came to a clinch. According to Boucher, Cleghorn pinioned one arm and kept saying: ‘Don’t be foolish; keep your temper.”

“Jerry Laflamme, who was referee, seemed unaware of what was going on till Ed Gorman jumped in and tried to separate Cleghorn and Boucher. When Laflamme sped up, the melee had become general. Someone planted Gorman, and he let go of his stick and proceeded to lay about him, aided and abetted by the unadorned fists of Frankie Finnegan, who added the fistic prowess of Ulster to that of the Free State.”

“Gorman toppled over several Carmine sweaters, and seized Cleghorn and pulled him off his feet and Boucher went down on top. Both Cleghorn and Boucher were exchanging wallops as they went down.”

“Sprague Cleghorn’s marcel wave was badly ruffled, and his sweater rumpled, and there is no doubt he stopped several well meant fists that were hurled in his face, but he was otherwise unscathed. Boucher exhibited a slightly cut lip, which he claimed had either been made by Cleghorn’s skate or the heel of his boot. He was very definite that Cleghorn had done it in the melee. Both principals were ruled off for the rest of the game.”

Brooklyn Daily Eagle – January 8, 1926

“On the Boston aggregation was Sprague Cleghorn, well-known to the old-time followers of the game in New York. Cleghorn, naturally, has grown considerably older and much heavier than when be played amateur hockey at the old St. Nicholas Rink. But his game is just as dirty as it was when he was a member of the old New YorK Wanderers”

Montreal Gazette – January 8, 1926

“Sprague Cleghorn was the chief offender in uncorking rude hockey methods. Four times he was ruled off for roughness, once for a five-minute period.”

“Cleghorn was the first player ruled off the ice. He got a two-minute penalty for upsetting Shorty Green for a violent spill.”

“Randall got a bad smash in the head from Cleghorn’s stick and had to retire from the ice. Simpson took his place and Cleghorn was booed as he was ruled out of the game for five minutes.”

“Cleghorn broke loose shortly after this, jimmied his way through the New Yorkskaters, then passed the puck to Herberts just in time for the Boston centre to jam in a goal and tie the score.”

Montreal Gazette – November 24, 1926

“Cleghorn, captain of the Bruins, drew the major penalty. He cut down Philipps with his stick in a mix-up near his goal, and the Maroon was out for the rest of the game.”

“Cleghorn’s penalty for hitting Philipps was a major of five minutes. The Maroon player was carried off the ice with his mouth bleeding, apparently painfully injured.”

Boston Daily Globe – January 17, 1927

“Eddie Shore and Lionel Hitchman are stronger offensively than either Captain Sprague Cleghorn or Billy Coutu. Defensively, Cleghorn is superior to the others.”

Montreal Gazette – February 7, 1927

“Cleghorn received his major penalty for cutting down Brydge, St.Pats stellar defenceman, for no visible reason.”

Brooklyn Daily Eagle – March 1, 1927

“When you talk of quitters, don't, mention Shorty Green! In a game against the Boston Bruins last year his cheek was sliced open by the butt end of Sprague Cleghorn's stick. He was rushed to the Polyclinic Hospital and had seven stitches taken in his face, and he returned to finish the game.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad