How Far Away Is Ryan O'Reilly From The Big 3 Two-Way C's?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Defensive reputation is built in the playoffs where matchups are more significant and sought out. ROR needs a deep playoff run where he sees the tough matchups before he's in the conversation.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I haven't seen too many players will their teams to wins like O'Reilly. He's one of those rare players you notice him every single shift he is on the ice when his team really needs him.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
he is better than toews and bergy this year already

they have been horrid

You clearly haven't watched Bergy and simply look at goals and assists. Even playing through injury he has been OK.

How fast fans forget about the Bergeron, Marchand, Crosby line being the best in the world. Bergeron didn't forget how to play hockey in a few months....

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well winning 2 Cups obviously helps. I don't think ROR will ever get that recognition, as if and when Sabres become actually good he'll be overshadowed by Eichel.

Kind of how Jeff Carter gets underrated because Kopitar is on the team, except with swapped roles, I guess? :laugh:

It's almost as if leading your team and the playoffs in scoring twice on the way to two cups while facing other top centers garners you some recognition.

I think ROR could do that, he's got the raw ability, but you're making it sound like Kopitar is hogging all the glory that ROR deserves.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Kesler is one of the best. Damn good player. Finished 3rd in Selke voting last season. 27 points in 32 games so far this season and is one of the best defensive forwards in the game.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I often wonder this myself but don't get to watch him enough to know.

I still wonder why the Avs didn't want to pay this guy. I know there was some animosity but still. He's the kind of player any contender would love to have.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
How has Kesler not been brought up with all these names mentioned so far? On pace for probably his second Selke in his career this year..

If he wins it with the amount of dives and dirty hits he has made this year I will poo in my underpants

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
It's almost as if leading your team and the playoffs in scoring twice on the way to two cups while facing other top centers garners you some recognition.

I think ROR could do that, he's got the raw ability, but you're making it sound like Kopitar is hogging all the glory that ROR deserves.
Eichel is closer to Carter stylewise (offense, shoot first C)
ROR is closer to Kopi stylewise (2way C).

When Buffalo competes, the 2way-center (ROR) will likely be overshadowed by the offense first center (Eichel) whereas with L.A. it was the other way around is what he meant to say as I understand it. No knock on Kopitar.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There isn't much of a big 3 anymore. ... Toews defensive game isn't elite anymore, Bergeron can't score.

Giroux, Barkov, ROR are all on the same level or better 2 way guys. Kopitar is the best "2 way player" I suppose

Kesler right now has been arguably the best of them all

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's amazing how much the perception has changed around ROR now that he's in Buffalo. People sure were quick to dismiss him when he played in Colorado, yet he's the exact same player.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The big 3 being Toews, Bergeron and Kopitar...and we're talking about right now, not career.

Is ROR close to being on par with those other guys as a player?

Defensively I think he's there, but he's pretty average offensively in terms of offensive numbers. In terms of puck possession I think he's better than JT and is on the same level as Kopitar and Bergeron.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's amazing how much the perception has changed around ROR now that he's in Buffalo. People sure were quick to dismiss him when he played in Colorado, yet he's the exact same player.

He wasn't centering the top group and was overshadowed by Duchene and Landeskog. In Buffalo, he basically became the top guy immediately and the one that they always turned to.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He wasn't centering the top group and was overshadowed by Duchene and Landeskog. In Buffalo, he basically became the top guy immediately and the one that they always turned to.

He was the exact same player in Colorado that he currently is in Buffalo.

1st in TOI in 2014-2015
1st in TOI in 2013-2014
5th in TOI in 2012-2013 (season he held out)
1st in TOI in 2011-2012

Those are for forwards, btw. He was always looked at as a "top guy" in Colorado, and was counted on for defensive responsibility playing LW with Duchene in 13-14.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Honestly I think his defensive game gets overrated and his offensive game gets underrated. He is an exceptional player though.
I agree 100%. I think he's more tenacious and far better at stripping pucks in the offensive zone than he is in the defensive. I've said before I think his biggest problem is that he plays within the rules of the game too much. Everybody else has figured out that you can tackle, hook and use players as sleds to skate around the ice with and not get called for a penalty except for Ryan O'Reilly. Also for a guy who is so dominant at face-offs he has a tendency for losing them at the worst possible time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad