How Far Away Is Ryan O'Reilly From The Big 3 Two-Way C's?

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
The big 3 being Toews, Bergeron and Kopitar...and we're talking about right now, not career.

Is ROR close to being on par with those other guys as a player?

There isn't much of a big 3 anymore. ... Toews defensive game isn't elite anymore, Bergeron can't score.

Giroux, Barkov, ROR are all on the same level or better 2 way guys. Kopitar is the best "2 way player" I suppose

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
There isn't much of a big 3 anymore. ... Toews defensive game isn't elite anymore, Bergeron can't score.

Giroux, Barkov, ROR are all on the same level or better 2 way guys. Kopitar is the best "2 way player" I suppose

Agree, thus the I pose the question now.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Kopitar, Toews, and Bergeron all got a lot of credit because they've won the Cup.

So I think ROR needs to show excellent 2-way play to get his team deep in the playoffs first.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Kopitar, Toews, and Bergeron all got a lot of credit because they've won the Cup.

So I think ROR needs to show excellent 2-way play to get his team deep in the playoffs first.

To me he right now needs to stay healthy to get a better idea.
He could be there but he seems to have/had lots of injury troubles.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Toews, Bergeron and Kopitar are all not looking great right now. Yes he's close,

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Right now he's probably better than Toews anyway. His team isn't as good so people will laugh.

Honestly anytime I see people throw out +/- I just assume they're being facetious.

Last edited:

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
Toews is not even up there for two way anymore

these are the top two way guys

Bergeron
Koivu
Niederitter
Wheeler
J Staal
O'Reilly
Kopitar
Marchand
Thornton
Pavelski
etc

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Astronomically far. Never been a plus in his career.

I don't think plus/minus really reflects on the player, it's on the team.

And once the Sabres start winning he might become someone who's always mentioned in the conversation of great 2 way C's. Or Eichel might over shadow him and he'll be more like Carter.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Astronomically far. Never been a plus in his career.

Using plus/minus as your sole reasoning for this is garbage. Is that really your only argument as to why he's "astronomically far"? It's clear you don't watch him play.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Toews is not even up there for two way anymore

these are the top two way guys

Bergeron
Koivu
Niederitter
Wheeler
J Staal
O'Reilly
Kopitar
Marchand
Thornton
Pavelski
etc

Actually, the top two-way guys are more along the lines of Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Benn, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Malkin, etc.

I don't know why, how, why, or why, did I mention why... "two-way forward" has somehow evolved into meaning "best defensive forward who can also play a bit of offense too".

The phrase "best two-way forward" simply refers to the best forward when factoring in both offense and defense. That is STILL Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, not Patrice Bergeron. Not even anywhere nearly close. Yes Patrice may be slightly better defensively, but he nowhere near makes up for it offensively thus being a worse two-way player. Get it?

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
The Toews hate is strong in here.

It's more like an endless barrage of "I told you so" to the completely misinformed fans who constantly dub him as a top-5 player in the league.

Simply saying I told you so once, twice, or even a hundred times just somehow doesn't suffice to stick it to these rather extremely arrogant people. Toews must be exposed for what he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad