How Far Away Is Ryan O'Reilly From The Big 3 Two-Way C's?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It doesn't really matter where he is ranked by the pundits. What matters is what he brings to Buffalo every night. Ask Sabres fans. They'll tell you. I'll bet Avs fans might have a thing or two positive to say given they've struggled since his exit.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Actually, the top two-way guys are more along the lines of Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Benn, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Malkin, etc.

I don't know why, how, why, or why, did I mention why... "two-way forward" has somehow evolved into meaning "best defensive forward who can also play a bit of offense too".

The phrase "best two-way forward" simply refers to the best forward when factoring in both offense and defense. That is STILL Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, not Patrice Bergeron. Not even anywhere nearly close. Yes Patrice may be slightly better defensively, but he nowhere near makes up for it offensively thus being a worse two-way player. Get it?

This x100 ( but I don't agree with the names that you mention)

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
dude would make a great 'Fencer'...is that a word? his stick work, pokes, knifes, jabs to take away the puck is exceptional

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
This point onward I would say he is among the "big 3" but I think that big 3 are about to change into Barkov, Matthews and ROR in the foreseeable future.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I'm actually shocked that he's getting this much credit as a Sabres fan. Kind of weird. I mean, it's right. He's incredible. But it's weird.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can't believe how underrated ROR is by some people still. He's an elite 2-way stud.

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Crosby looks pretty good defensively. At the beginning of his career he was decent but right know he is pretty good.
Problem is that two way F are always those who are around 70-75pt mark,so every time player goes into 90-100 pts territory he is considered as pure offensive guy even though he is good defensively.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Crosby looks pretty good defensively. At the beginning of his career he was decent but right know he is pretty good.
Problem is that two way F are always those who are around 70-75pt mark,so every time player goes into 90-100 pts territory he is considered as pure offensive guy even though he is good defensively.

Ducks fan? Maybe pens fan Idk your name is like a duck fan.

Ye Crosby is an amazing two way player. I'd give ROR the edge defensively though.

However Crosby these past few years has really worked on his two way game and it has shown. I have no problems sending him against any line in the NHL because I believe he can win any match up.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Actually, the top two-way guys are more along the lines of Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Benn, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Malkin, etc.

I don't know why, how, why, or why, did I mention why... "two-way forward" has somehow evolved into meaning "best defensive forward who can also play a bit of offense too".

The phrase "best two-way forward" simply refers to the best forward when factoring in both offense and defense. That is STILL Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, not Patrice Bergeron. Not even anywhere nearly close. Yes Patrice may be slightly better defensively, but he nowhere near makes up for it offensively thus being a worse two-way player. Get it?

preach on brother:handclap:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The phrase "Two-Way" forward seems to concentrate far too much on defense. Crosby blows ROR, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar away as a "Two-Way" forward. That silliness is why there's a backlash against Toews. People said he's "Overall" better than Crosby. Uh no. Not even close.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Toews is not even up there for two way anymore

these are the top two way guys

Bergeron
Koivu
Niederitter
Wheeler
J Staal
O'Reilly
Kopitar
Marchand
Thornton
Pavelski
etc

No Kesler. Selke finalist last season. Have a good shot at the Selke this year since Toews Bergeron and Kopitar are all having bad seasons so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad