How does this Islander team compare with 2015/2016?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
As an Islanders fan, in order to for us to do any kind of perceived damage in the playoffs we absolutely have to have home ice in the first round. Extremely important to know going in that there's a possibility of 4 games at the Coliseum.

That being said, I really don't want to play Boston in the first round. That team legitimately scares me. I don't want to play TB in the first round but we'd have to finish the season miserably in order to have that happen...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Rob Schremp cites the Trotz Effect and having a real Captain...

I wonder if something happened between the two of them when Schremp played for the Isles. Usually not the kind of comment you'd find from a former teammate who didn't have issues with him.

Also, not to defend Tavares, but it's kind of funny coming from Rob Schremp of all people, talking about someone who only seems to care about their own points and not playing for the best of the team. :laugh:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wonder if something happened between the two of them when Schremp played for the Isles. Usually not the kind of comment you'd find from a former teammate who didn't have issues with him.

Also, not to defend Tavares, but it's kind of funny coming from Rob Schremp of all people, talking about someone who only seems to care about their own points and not playing for the best of the team. :laugh:

Obviously Schremp knows a selfish person when he sees one since he is one himself.

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
Last time the Isles had a record this gaudy at this point in the season was 2014-15 (Tavares career year, Boychuk/Leddy double barreled blueline, All Star Halak.)

And with a lot of that team in tow save for Greiss in net, they did win a playoff series the next year.

Does this Islander team have more or less similarities to those teams
better

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Obviously Schremp knows a selfish person when he sees one since he is one himself.

Funny story about Schremp. I was on the same plane to Cancun as that 2005 London Knights Memorial Cup winning team flew on as their reward from ownership for winning the Mem Cup.

On the flight down to Mexico, my buddy and I were sat right next to Dale Hunter and Jacques Bealieu. But on the flight back to Canada, we were sitting behind Schremp, who was sitting with a couple of people not associated with the team. At one point he decided to tell them that he's a first round NHL pick right out of the blue. It was kind of like "Hi, did you enjoy Mexico?", "Oh, it was great. By the way I'm Rob Schremp, I was drafted in the first round by the Edmonton Oilers".

Reactions: CodeE and PWJunior

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Last time the Isles had a record this gaudy at this point in the season was 2014-15 (Tavares career year, Boychuk/Leddy double barreled blueline, All Star Halak.)

And with a lot of that team in tow save for Greiss in net, they did win a playoff series the next year.

Does this Islander team have more or less similarities to those teams
much tougher,better work ethic,better coaching,I think that team got there despite the coaching,now there's a better overall display of hockey IQ

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Funny story about Schremp. I was on the same plane to Cancun as that 2005 London Knights Memorial Cup winning team flew on as their reward from ownership for winning the Mem Cup.

On the flight down to Mexico, my buddy and I were sat right next to Dale Hunter and Jacques Bealieu. But on the flight back to Canada, we were sitting behind Schremp, who was sitting with a couple of people not associated with the team. At one point he decided to tell them that he's a first round NHL pick right out of the blue. It was kind of like "Hi, did you enjoy Mexico?", "Oh, it was great. By the way I'm Rob Schremp, I was drafted in the first round by the Edmonton Oilers".

Towards the end of Schremp's tenure with the Isles, they came to Los Angeles to play the Kings and I got some dirt cheap tickets because nobody really cared about either team back then. Got to Staples early to watch warmups and met a couple of other fans wearing Isles jerseys, shooting the breeze and whatnot.

Anyway most of the players are just skating by and what not, but Schremp notices this little packet of Islander fans cheering the away team and does this little routine for us. Like picks up the puck with his stick and keeps it in the air - you know a Harlem Globetrottery type of thing but with hockey instead of basketball.

Then one of the Islander fans goes "ugh, enough already Schremp" and he stops the fancy moves and goes back to warming up with the rest of the team. I laughed but looking back I felt kinda sad - poor Schrempy just wanted to dazzle us with his hockey skills.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Towards the end of Schremp's tenure with the Isles, they came to Los Angeles to play the Kings and I got some dirt cheap tickets because nobody really cared about either team back then. Got to Staples early to watch warmups and met a couple of other fans wearing Isles jerseys, shooting the breeze and whatnot.

Anyway most of the players are just skating by and what not, but Schremp notices this little packet of Islander fans cheering the away team and does this little routine for us. Like picks up the puck with his stick and keeps it in the air - you know a Harlem Globetrottery type of thing but with hockey instead of basketball.

Then one of the Islander fans goes "ugh, enough already Schremp" and he stops the fancy moves and goes back to warming up with the rest of the team. I laughed but looking back I felt kinda sad - poor Schrempy just wanted to dazzle us with his hockey skills.

I think Schremp would have loved it if all hockey was played like at the NHL All-star game, where it's just 3 on 3, no defense, and players just out there trying the fanciest moves possible.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Rob Schremp cites the Trotz Effect and having a real Captain...

Loser tweet from a loser player.

Nothing against the Isles, but Tavares had a lot of good reasons to leave (absolutely putrid management and coaching for 9 years). And what do you know, he's got a lot of great things going for him in Toronto.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I would think the islanders would probably want the habs, and any team in the playoff or playoff race would want the islanders.

If the playoffs started today, we are looking at habs islanders for the first time since 1993.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006

Nothing against the Isles, but Tavares had a lot of good reasons to leave (absolutely putrid management and coaching for 9 years). And what do you know, he's got a lot of great things going for him in Toronto.
Too bad he missed out on one of the best GMs and coaches now...

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
For the umpteenth time. Its not that he left its how he left.

Yeah yeah. The blame still falls on management for squandering his ELC and first contract (which was an absolute steal), and for not locking him up or trading him before he became a UFA.

I know a lot of Toronto fans will hate on Matthews if he leaves at the end of his contract, but the logical fans will understand that he simply exercised his right as a UFA, and will also blame management for not re-signing or trading him before it reaches that point (I personally want him traded if he doesn't re-sign by the end of year 3).

Too bad he missed out on one of the best GMs and coaches now...

That is too bad, but Tavares isn't psychic. Literally nobody knew the Islanders would be this good.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The Shremp comments make me feel like JT was still distant and quiet in the locker room, not holding others accountable. Not a big endorsement for 'Captain'.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

The Isles former owner (Wang), GM (Snow) and coaches (Capuano and Weight), were indeed putrid. However, Tavares always spoke glowingly about them and seemingly backed them publicly and privately (at least based on what has been leaked over the years). He had a strong connection to them and the organization was run like a frat.

Ironically, it was probably easier for him to leave once they were all cleared out. He had very little connection to the new owners and even less to Lou and Trotz. As long as the Isles can use the $11 million per to add another star player, they will be no worse on the ice and the rest of the organization will be vastly superior to the prior regime.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
With TOR getting shutout tonight, Isles leap frog them into 3rd in the league.
giphy.gif

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Tavares never had business being captain. He doesnt have the personality.

Personally I think being captain is over rated, if i was a coach I would hand it to the player I deem to have the best social/negotiating skills to deal with refs.

All that being said Tavares never seemed like a talkative guy, he is more what I would consider an on ice leader(generally he gave a solid effort night in and out besides the stretch in the second half last year)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad