How does this Islander team compare with 2015/2016?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
How much of an upgrade is Lehner compared to Nabokov/Halak/Greiss (These four have been the main NYI goalies post-DiPietro)?

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Do they still lead the league in PDO? I know this is sarcasm as you are an Islander fan this year but yeah. Not the first team to have a year like this and go back into mediocrity. New Jersey, Ottawa, Avs, Oilers, etc.
Yeah, we are going to forget how to play and stink next year.
Whatever get you through the night.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
How much of an upgrade is Lehner compared to Nabokov/Halak/Greiss (These four have been the main NYI goalies post-DiPietro)?
Lehner and Greiss are both 1 & 2 in the league for GAA and SV%. The biggest upgrade has been coaching. Garth Snow couldn’t hire a coach with experience because he HAD to be the smartest guy in the room, and this attitude/ego caused his downfall.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Leaders count and the coaching staff are part of the leadership team. Caps could not win the SC until they got Trotz and they had many good players through out the years. NHL is a team sport not an individual sport. You win as a team and talents alone only get you so far.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Leaders count and the coaching staff are part of the leadership team. Caps could not win the SC until they got Trotz and they had many good players through out the years. NHL is a team sport not an individual sport. You win as a team and talents alone only get you so far.

And even when they fell short with Trotz, it’s not like they got their heads handed to them.

2 7-game series (2015, 2017) and a 6-game series in 2016 that felt like 7 games.

Heck, Washington only once in the Ovy era has lost a playoff series in under 6 games (Tampa sweep 2011)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Better defensively for sure. Tavares' style seemed to never have fitted with the Islanders and had a high expectation the moment he got there to carry the team.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Personally I think being captain is over rated, if i was a coach I would hand it to the player I deem to have the best social/negotiating skills to deal with refs.

All that being said Tavares never seemed like a talkative guy, he is more what I would consider an on ice leader(generally he gave a solid effort night in and out besides the stretch in the second half last year)

Tough situation. If your "star player" "face-of-the-franchise" type guy isn't that talkative, assertive, ra-rah guy personality do you make the decision to not give him the C? I know HF Isles would have been up in arms if the Isles didn't choose him in 2013.

At the time, maybe they should have given the captaincy to Martin? Okposo? All of the older players on the 2013-14 team weren't very good choices either, Lubo, Boulton, Martinek, Carkner, Moulson...and after you give him the C, I don't think you could necessarily take it away. I guess it worked out in San Jose though.

Nevertheless, that stuff is over. This team is by far and away better than both 14-15 and 15-16 because they are a TEAM.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

He's the best out of them all:

Nabokov - awful in the playoffs, also felt like he was brittle and could be out for a month at any second.
Halak - never knew which Jaro you were going to get
Greiss - I would have Greiss even with Lehner if not for last year(mostly on Weight but it still knocks him back a peg)

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Nabokov - awful in the playoffs, also felt like he was brittle and could be out for a month at any second.
Greiss - I would have Greiss even with Lehner if not for last year(mostly on Weight but it still knocks him back a peg)
Nabby was done when he got here.
Halak and Greiss both deserve sainthood for putting up with Garth Snow's goalie handling, you would think a retired goalie would know better.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Definitely see similarities from the stand point that the teams were not predicted to do anything but came out and surprised everyone. Both can be attributed to excellent coaching on their way to 100 point seasons.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

I see similarities in Halak/Lehner’s performance and Greiss then/now.
Much better defense this season is why Lehner and Greiss are doing what they are doing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If there is one play that typifies what the Islanders are now under Lamoriello and Trotz. To me this is it thus far this season.

Matt Martin, given up for dead, picked up by Lou this summer, given new value by Trotz as a valuable member on the 4th line that plays like a #1 line. Never give up, on a defensive play that the Isles ultimately won, and to top it all off, it doesn't even register on the stats sheet. Somehow this all makes sense. But Isles fans know Martin's value this year on and off the ice.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad