How does this Islander team compare with 2015/2016?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Also another under talked about point - getting back on topic. Lehner has proven himself to be mentally weak. Sure he has gotten help and rebounded this year but I wonder how he will be in the big moments. And don't say "We have Greiss so no worries" stuff. Game 7, who do you think they go with? Lehner for sure. I think he will let them down in big moments.

I am not sold on their goaltending when it counts.

You're going there? Really?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
How has Lehner proven to be mentally weak? I really think you need to take a step back and think about what you say before you post ignorant things. Lehner should be looked up to for the tackling his mental illness, not mocked. He's an inspiration, he is not a mental weakness. I am not sure what you wanted to accomplish by calling him that. Have a read and educate yourself.

Wow, this was a Stevens on Lindros level kill shot of a post. Well done TWS!

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With an average-to-terrible coach, the Isles had 101 points in 2014-15 and 100 points in 2015-16. They won a playoff round; not great but they still advanced. Then their deficient coaching and a lack of moves by the stagnant GM doomed them to two mediocre seasons. The one good thing Snow did though was he kept accumulating draft picks and stockpiled young players.

They have a lot of the same players who made up that core in their prime right now, essentially swapped out Tavares for Barzal, added a top GM and coach, have far better leadership and bottom-six players, and a significantly better defense. Young players like Barzal, Beau, Pulock, Toews, Mayfield, etc. should continue to get better as they get older and the Isles are a tough team to play against almost every game right now.

Comparing them to one-season wonders is premature. They have plenty of cap room to (hopefully) re-sign their key players and perhaps add a quality free agent or two to upgrade in a couple spots. They have very good prospects in players like Dobson, Wilde, Sorokin, Wahlstrom, Bellows, Aho, etc. Some of those players might end up improving the talent level on the team, either by natural development or via trade.

Until we see how the Isles progress the rest of this season and what changes they make for next year, it is foolish to say PDO will catch up to them like other one-year teams. If they supplement the existing team with a couple top players and the overall talent continues to improve, they have the GM and coach that can keep them competitive. I think it is very reasonable to expect Lou and Trotz to keep trying to add more talent to the roster over time and get the most out of those players.

Reactions: Vaporwave

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wow, this was a Stevens on Lindros level kill shot of a post. Well done TWS!
Thanks, I just think some things should be off limit Sabremike. Trash talking is expected and in some cases it's great for our sport. But really there is no need to make trivial remarks knowing what Lehner has gone through. You never want to throw stones in glass houses. So many people suffer from mental illnesses. And I sure hope it doesn't take something unfortunate to happen to someone before they realize it is not a weakness of the person rather than a condition that can be treated. Which Lehner has chosen to go public to educate those that suffer from it. He's an inspiration and should be looked upon as such.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
This team is deeper and far more balanced (maybe the most balanced team in the league) than the 15/16 team. Rolling 4 lines, two very experienced D in Boychuk/Leddy, four young D just coming into their own before our eyes and the both goalies leading in GA/Sv%.

Great formula for the playoffs.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I think that the Islanders fans should be more optimistic now. You can't win championships with bad coaching, and they have landed an excellent coach last offseason. Yes, they've lost a superstar, but on the other hand, they have $10 mil in cap space (ranked 4th in the league). They'll only get better. No one will want to face them in the playoffs this year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think people underrate Matt Martin. We made the playoffs with him for 2 years he leaves we don't make the playoffs for 2 years and he comes back and looks like we making the playoffs. Islanders true MVP

Reactions: MattMartin

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I think people underrate Matt Martin. We made the playoffs with him for 2 years he leaves we don't make the playoffs for 2 years and he comes back and looks like we making the playoffs. Islanders true MVP
Not to mention when him zeeker and clutterbuck we’re together they were the best fourth line in hockey, and this season they are picking up where they left off

Reactions: MattMartin

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Lol.

It was meaningful. Most teams need to win a round before going further.
Youre right, but to make me sound like I dont watch the Rangers/Islanders 40+ times a year along wih my Devils with a ‘do your research’ comment...

You made it seem like they made the Finals and I forgot about it lol. At least thats how I saw it

Islanders arent there yet. Their goaltending wont always be this good (whether Lehner is back or not) and their defense is playing unsastainably well, especially considering the roster.

Do I think theyll regress to out of the playoffs? No , but they arent better than a first round exit, second if their matchup is favorable which is only two teams IMO

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
Youre right, but to make me sound like I dont watch the Rangers/Islanders 40+ times a year along wih my Devils with a ‘do your research’ comment...

You made it seem like they made the Finals and I forgot about it lol. At least thats how I saw it

Islanders arent there yet. Their goaltending wont always be this good (whether Lehner is back or not) and their defense is playing unsastainably well, especially considering the roster.

Do I think theyll regress to out of the playoffs? No , but they arent better than a first round exit, second if their matchup is favorable which is only two teams IMO
No, I did not. Simply showing that they won a round.

Their young defense features 4 very capable guys between 24-26 that are surprisingly impressive as a group. Toews is playing like a vet in his first 23 games, 4 goals. Pulock leads in ice time and has a strong 2 way game. Pelech and Mayfield have just been very steady. Boychuk is healthy finally and Leddy is solid. This is our best D group since the early 2000's with Jonsson, AuCoin and Hamrlik.

D is just getting better as the season goes. Since Jan 1st. - 19 games, 32 GA, 1.68 GA 4 shutouts.

You speak in absolutes, maybe that tainted my response. You feel the Isles aren't there yet, that's fine. You are what your record says. Isles have two hot goalies, a deep balanced roster, $10M in cap space and assets. I doubt Lou does nothing.

Unsustainable. Never heard that word more than this season. I'm not saying the Isles go deep, but if they make it past a round or two, there still will be those saying... unsustainable. Hysterical.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Who knows. Sustainable, not sustainable, not ready, whatever. All I see is that they continue to beat the snot out of the supposed contenders. So maybe they're more ready than people think.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Ah it changed. 102.5 for Leafs and a whole .3 less for the Islanders. Difference is that the Leafs have proven it over three seasons now and the Islanders have 1 year. That's all I am saying. Right now they are no different than those other teams until they do it again.

Lol. Proven what exactly?

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
You're going there? Really?

He is one of the worst, if not the worst poster you can find on HFB. Just ignore and move on...

He doesn’t have any clue about what Lehner has gone through. Still, he is attacking him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->