How does the D Corps get fixed?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Either Tyutin or Johnson would have to be going back in a Byfuglien deal. Certainly interested, but not sure if we'd be willing to part ways with what it would take to get him.

That wouldn't work. Both are overpriced and would screw up our summer.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
That wouldn't work. Both are overpriced and would screw up our summer.

Unless if we were able to package one of them for a separate upgrade then it's probably not doable from our part

For those who missed today's PuckRakers article:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...o-changes.html

Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen would love to make a move right now.
"It's not like I was off on Sunday," Kekalainen said. "There's no Sunday in this business. It's not an 8-to-4 job."
The hockey operations folks hunkered down on Sunday for deep talks and deep consideration. They watched today's practice from high above the rink, joined in a different section by president Mike Priest.
Yes, when the president shows up to watch practice and gain the vibe, it's not a good sign.
The first choice among the suits in Nationwide Arena, obviously, is to make a trade.
Kekalainen has phoned around the league looking for defensive help in recent days, but it's not the best time to be desperate in your search for a top 4 defenseman. Those are costly in the best of times, and right now, most teams aren't compelled to bust up their rosters in the second week of the season.
There are moves he could make, Kekalainen said. But the price? Whoo boy, the price. A player and two prospects? Two prospects and a player? Two first-round picks and a prospect?

Must be searching for some big fish?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Unless if we were able to package one of them for a separate upgrade then it's probably not doable from our part

For those who missed today's PuckRakers article:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...o-changes.html

Must be searching for some big fish?

I would be OK giving up some first round picks if needed. We have some players we could spare as well. Have to give to get

Which prospect would we be most willing to part with? Rychel?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
This is spot on, IMO. The bottom six went from among the league's best to among the league's worst.

Hartnell-Wennberg-Borque/Atkinson
Calvert-Campbell-Clarkson/Boll

I think that SHOULD be far from the worst bottom six in the league. Just as with the rest of the team, they are not playing up to their abilities.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Big Buff also reminds me of Sinbad. Not sure if that is a + or - for you guys

maxresdefault.jpg

Partay!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We can't even do much next summer because we're going to be in cap hell and we're not even good.

Say the cap gets to $74 million - that's a pretty generous guess. It will probably be more like $73.5ish million.

If you simply remove Bourque (comes off the books) and plug in Rychel in his place, we'll be over $42 million spent on the current group of forwards. That's to say nothing of Bjorkstrand or Milano making the team. Both Karlsson and Jenner will be RFAs and Jenner will surely get a deal.

Bob and CMac are back at the same cap hit, $7.425. and $800K. $8.225 million on goalies.

Four cap hits are locked in on defense - Tyutin, JJ, Savard (raise to $4.25 million) and Goloubef. That's $13.857 million, to say nothing of Murray, Prout, Connauton, Paliotta, Madaisky, etc.

That's $64+ million locked in without a trade. Give Jenner and Murray moderate raises. You're looking at, what maybe $6 million in cap space to sign TWO defenders?

Jarmo has set this franchise up to be royally ****ed. Dubi is overpaid at 5.85. Foligno should not be making 5.5. Clarkson at 5.25 is a joke. Cam at 3.5...eh. Boll at 1.7 Savard will be at 4.25. Tyutin is old and slow for 4.5. Bob is the 2nd-worst goalie in the league at 7.425.

Unless he can unload some cap, Jarmo won't have the space to sign a FA defender...again. Could Heatherington or Werenski be the missing link on the back end? Doubt it for next season anyway. This team is screwed if the current blue liners can't get it together.

Last edited:

Daytonian

Nov 6, 2014
Dayton OH
DO NOT give away prospects in a desperate trade for a D-Man for a season that can't be saved. That will only doom the Jackets in future years.

How about signing Jan Hejda, an old friend, if he is still available? He's getting old, but he'd still fill some obvious gaps--with defense his priority.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
A good first step was bringing in Golo, but Prout needs to be out of the lineup. If KC is a problem we should have someone else filling his spot too. I know Prout is physical and all but I'd place him on waivers at this point. If he clears he can head back up to Cleveland.

Please don't inflict that on us!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jets fan here just wondering how serious the interest is in Buff. Even though our cap situation right now is fairly good (2nd lowest in the league) players are getting huge raises in the summer. I'm not sure if there's enough room to keep Buff. Combine that with a lot of talent on the right side (Trouba and Myers), it seems odd to keep him. None of the three RHD seem to want to play the left side.

Not a bad GWG!

We're not interested in picking up any excess cap hit past this season. I could see us going after defense youth. We have lots of forwards, but I could see us going after a 4th line C. I don't see us going after anything roster outside of that. Picks are always nice. I don't see us doing anything with goalies.

As for price, who knows? Yandle got quite the haul, but he had two years left. Ignoring contract status, I'm sure Buff is the more valuable player. I'm sure something conditional on Buff re-signing would be a good idea. I'm not sure if you guys have any top LHD prospects you'd like to part with. I could certainly see us retaining lots of cap hit, up to 50% if needed. But again only for this season.

What buff offers:

- Monster physical play
- Top offensive dman
- Big booming shot
- Some amount of levity
- Will back up his team mates no matter what, the first thing he will tell teammates is they can do whatever they want and he will back them up
- Big time prankster
- One of the best breakout/breakaway passers in the business
- Can be a gamebreaker near the end of a game (see YT vid)

Buff drawbacks:

- Sometimes moves forwards in attempt to pick the puck instead of moving backwards. This can drive coaches nuts
- Needs to be with a good defensive top 4 LHD. If you don't have one, this is probably a bad idea
- From time to time he gets on fire, then takes a stupid penalty
- Some questions of conditioning, but he seems to be doing well the past few years
- Penalties. Lots of them. Some reputation, some cause guys literally bounce of him. Lots of dumb stick penalties too.

I'm one who would love Buff however, i think plain and simple is that it comes down to whether he's signed or not. Whether it's a sign and trade or if Winnipeg let's us talk to him and he agrees to sign here, I think thats the single biggest issue.

I don't think it'll be a problem finding a good package to make a trade, but as long as he's unsigned, that unknown factor makes it a no go.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Given todays environment it would be very tough to move one of them and pick up a top four D. I could see it happening if they only had one year remaining. But they have THREE.

Can you fill me in on those two defenders? Advanced stats is not very kind to either of them.

This situation is certainly something to keep an eye on.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm one who would love Buff however, i think plain and simple is that it comes down to whether he's signed or not. Whether it's a sign and trade or if Winnipeg let's us talk to him and he agrees to sign here, I think thats the single biggest issue.

I don't think it'll be a problem finding a good package to make a trade, but as long as he's unsigned, that unknown factor makes it a no go.

I'm sure something can be worked out as far as conditional picks or letting you guys talk to him. Like I said it is not much of an issue to retain salary this year, but next year is a no go. I'm pretty sure that makes a sign and trade impossible for us.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
To address the "Cap Hell" that RedStorm brought up, there are definitely ways to alleviate this issue without giving up our core.

Management will (or atleast I f***ing hope) move contracts that aren't favorable (except for Clarkson, we're stuck with him). I definitely could see Hartnell, Tyutin, and/or Johnson unloaded at some point over the season, and maybe even Cam Atkinson. And with Bourque coming off the books too after this season, there will be cap room to work with. If Rychel sticks up here and proves he can play with the big boys on a consistent basis, this makes Hartnell expendable for sure.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
To address the "Cap Hell" that RedStorm brought up, there are definitely ways to alleviate this issue without giving up our core.

Management will (or atleast I f***ing hope) move contracts that aren't favorable (except for Clarkson, we're stuck with him). I definitely could see Hartnell, Tyutin, and/or Johnson unloaded at some point over the season, and maybe even Cam Atkinson. And with Bourque coming off the books too after this season, there will be cap room to work with. If Rychel sticks up here and proves he can play with the big boys on a consistent basis, this makes Hartnell expendable for sure.

I'm one of the bigger Tyutin fans on here but he looks like he suddenly aged 10 years this offseason. I'm not sure he'd be easy to move right now.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We'd have to part with a very good forward and some high draft picks to get a dman who could be a difference maker. No team is going to take JJ or Tyutin in return for a good dman. One of the problems with having a draft geek as a GM is that their willingness to part with a high draft pick is usually not there. They are supremely confident in their abilities to make outstanding draft picks.

That can be a good and bad thing.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I've been working the Buff angle for a year or so now. I think his breakout passing and overall game would be a huge plus for us. I'd add 2 points to what's already been discussed:

1) I don't think this has to be a sign and trade. There's a lot of uncertainty with Buff's game, and it might actually be better to see how he fits first. If Buff comes here and fits in well we can sign him. If he doesn't, we let him go.

2) We can't fit him under the cap without shipping out salary. That's for this year, AND coming years.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Can you fill me in on those two defenders? Advanced stats is not very kind to either of them.

I'd say Jack isn't even overpaid. And his advanced stats have improved a lot over the years. If he wasn't so horrendous at hockey in his first years in the league, nobody would now be associating him with bad Corsi. But he's not a top pair quality D either. More of a workhorse second pair type who can pile up points on the powerplay.

Tyutin is slow and overpaid. I don't think he'd be a huge drag on the Jets though. He plays a stable game and could be an improvement on Mark Stuart, who is more mobile but also not as smart.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I've been working the Buff angle for a year or so now. I think his breakout passing and overall game would be a huge plus for us. I'd add 2 points to what's already been discussed:

1) I don't think this has to be a sign and trade. There's a lot of uncertainty with Buff's game, and it might actually be better to see how he fits first. If Buff comes here and fits in well we can sign him. If he doesn't, we let him go.

2) We can't fit him under the cap without shipping out salary. That's for this year, AND coming years.

It would take a bunch to get him and as the cliché goes, give to get, JK would have to give and give again. Like you said money would have to be going back. I think he would have to be signed. To give up what it will take to get him with no guarantee would be foolish. I guess that may be a gamble a squirming GM would make if he thought his job was on the line.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

This obviously isn't the preferable way to rid ourselves of players, but there will in all likelihood be an expansion draft that could alleviate some pressure too. But if these various routes do come up empty, we are in a lot of trouble, although the chances of that seem slim to me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It would take a bunch to get him and as the cliché goes, give to get, JK would have to give and give again. Like you said money would have to be going back. I think he would have to be signed. To give up what it will take to get him with no guarantee would be foolish. I guess that may be a gamble a squirming GM would make if he thought his job was on the line.

I know it sounds foolish, but we're getting the risk premium, i.e. I think the price from the Jets reflects the uncertainty of whether Buff is going to be a star for us or not. The price would be a lot lot higher if we knew beforehand whether he was going to be our #1. But we don't, and the price reflects that uncertainty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad