How does Detroit fix their situation?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This is the thread that you're claiming has the "general consensus" that people weren't interested in him coming back? You need to look up what the word consensus means.
  • Tampa wins cup this year. Yzermans job is done. Comes back home to the wings after Martin does nothing for a year
  • I don't have any loyalty problems with Yzerman. Steve Yzerman has always operated on his own. Kronwall is retired at next summer and then Zetterberg is left from his old teammates.
    If you hire Yzerman, his connections will build a suberb level front office for 99% sure. No one says no to Steve Yzerman, when he's calling.
  • It's a nice dream but if Yzerman wins a Cup with Tampa, trying to repeat the next season seems a whole lot more enticing than taking a job on a team with major cap problems, terrible contracts and no core.
  • Yzerman has been cut throat as a gm. I wouldn't worry about that aspect.
Most of the posts about not wanting Yzerman are due to worries about him not being able to turn around the mess Holland would leave him and it tarnishing his legacy or how it's unrealistic to expect Yzerman to want to come to such a badly situated team.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I know. I read the thread. Your bullet points are a more descriptive and cohesive version of what I already had said somewhere on this topic.

I think you may have cherry picked and left some out, though.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
From what I can see the only negative thing people are saying about the idea in that thread is that if Yzerman failed it may tarnish his legacy in the franchise.....

Reactions: Syckle78

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Detroit Red Wings are in a pretty bad situation in regards to cap-space for the 2018-19 season. They are loaded with long-term bad contracts, have no cap-space, and need to resign Larkin, Mantha, and AA next season. Larkin and Mantha's contracts are most likely going to cost them quite a bit and I cannot feasibly see them being able to sign them in their current cap situation. Most of the players that are signed to big contracts (especially Tatar at 5.3, Nyqvist at 4.75, and Ericsson at 4.25) are essentially unmovable. It really seems like an impossible situation. Is there anything they can do?
Fire everyone and start over.

It was a hell of a run. 20+ years of top tier success.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
They can't fix their situation. They are pretty screwed.

Nah. I think they'll be okay. Sure they'll have a rebuild period, but if they can land Dahlin this year that gives them a really good piece (provided he pans out) to build around for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad