How does Detroit fix their situation?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So you automatically think "come home Stevie" means GMing, while no chance could it mean getting promoted from his current position and earning an extra million or two per season as President?

Chanting "I want a hamburger" doesn't automatically mean I want McDonalds. Lol
No bruh they totally wanted him to change jobs and sell peanuts and shit. Get lost with your tired shtick.

Reactions: Acoustic

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No bruh they totally wanted him to change jobs and sell peanuts and ****. Get lost with your tired shtick.

Who has been the single most important guy in Toronto with their current rebuild? Go!

If you said Brendan Shanahan you would be correct. What is Mr. Shanahan's job title? President and alternate governor. Who earns more between he and the GM, Lou Lamoriello? Shanny by (approx) $1.5 million per.

So again, why does chanting "come home Stevie" automatically mean GM, Slurpee salesman, and peanut pusher to you?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Totes,magotes. Fans are chanting for yzerman to come back and be the boss of the guy that wouldn't move his has been ass up so Yzerman could take over. Cause,ya know,that's realistic. And why are you using Toronto as an example, remember rebuilds are baaaaaaad.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They will be a middling team if their GM keeps trying to get them into the playoffs
If by "keep trying" you mean "sell at the TDL, make minimal efforts to improve the team over the offseason, keep finishing bottom 5", does it really matter if he's trying or not?

Wings finished bottom 5 last year, they're 3 points out of the bottom 3 this year (unlikely to get worse than Buffalo and AZ even if they try).. I really, really don't understand what the major difference would be if they were somehow actively tanking instead of holding on to some level of competitive product on the ice. Given the current draft lottery, finishing bottom 2 is only slightly more benficial than finishing 3-5.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Totes,magotes. Fans are chanting for yzerman to come back and be the boss of the guy that wouldn't move his has been ass up so Yzerman could take over. Cause,ya know,that's realistic. And why are you using Toronto as an example, remember rebuilds are baaaaaaad.

This and why would he want to leave tampa who are ready to win a cup (no idea who their president is btw) to go to detroit ?

Maybe once tampa is on the decline and the wings are hopefully on the upswing he will go back.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This and why would he want to leave tampa who are ready to win a cup (no idea who their president is btw) to go to detroit ?

Maybe once tampa is on the decline and the wings are hopefully on the upswing he will go back.
He won't leave until they win a cup or is fired. No way he's going to skip town after making a commitment to that organization. Holland's dumb was should of just moved up to President.

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Nothing less than a complete rebuild. Get as many picks/prospects as possible imo

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
they’re a roster, that as a bruins fan, i look at it on paper and wonder why they aren’t in the same relative ‘tier’ as the isles and bruins and even flyers. i think they have the pieces, so it’s not a roster i would say start selling. i think they need a couple top flight d to construct their transition offense around, and i think they will sign erik karlsson.

i really do not buy them as a full rebuild team. there is enough there that they can be competitive with not much added. just my opinion. think their systems play is garbage and they need to start tossing pucks up the middle more.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
they’re a roster, that as a bruins fan, i look at it on paper and wonder why they aren’t in the same relative ‘tier’ as the isles and bruins and even flyers. i think they have the pieces, so it’s not a roster i would say start selling. i think they need a couple top flight d to construct their transition offense around, and i think they will sign erik karlsson.
I think you're looking at the wrong roster.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
I think you're looking at the wrong roster.

maybe i just like certain players more than most people do. you’re right, i could be way off. but
to me, i think they just need a couple of puck movers and they’ll start scoring and become a team that’s harder to match up against immediately.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
maybe i just like certain players more than most people do. you’re right, i could be way off. but
to me, i think they just need a couple of puck movers and they’ll start scoring and become a team that’s harder to match up against immediately.
We need to overhaul the entire defense. Names might look nice but green will be gone after this year at the latest. Kronner is done. Ericcson is done. Dekeyser Dell off a cliff last year. Daley is room temperature meh at most. Up front Zetterberg is done after next year at the latest perhaps this year. Mantha and Larkin might be top line players. The rest is middle six tweener material at best and overpaid shlubs. I'm not sure what you're seeing, this team is really,really bad.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
i agree that you need to redesign the top 4 d. my assertion is that when that is done, detroit probably jumps right into the mix with the other middling ec teams.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I guess,but we haven't drafted and developed a top 4 defenseman in many years. No confidence in that to change with this regime any time soon.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Detroit is in a crappy position where they have no choice but to rebuild. With so many bad contracts it will be impossible for them to compete.

1) Trade Green and Mrazek for futures at the deadline.

2) Move Holland to a new position. He's to old school of a GM. Fire the coach as well and bring on someone suited to play the young guys.

3) At the draft trade Howard (at 3M) and Nyquist for futures. Those four players free up 17.75M in cap space. More than enough to sign the young guys.

4) Line up is looking like;

Tatar - Larkin - Mantha
Abdelkater - Z - Athanasiou
Helm - Nielsen - XXX
Bertuzzi - Glendening - XXX

DeKeyser - Daley
Ericsson - Kronwall
Quellet - XXX

5) With that defence and the unknown goalie situation they will easily be a bottom five team.

6) After 2018/19 Zetterburg will likely retire or be moved to a broke team neededing the high AVA. Kronwall's contract ends. Howard's contract ends and they get back that 2.3M in cap space. For these three players that's an additions 13.15M in free space. Combined with the cap shedding of last year that 30.9M in cap space, not counting how much the cap will go up.

7) Detroit is now below the cap floor. They can use this money on UFA's or better yet taking on a bad contract for young promising players.

8) 2019/20 at this point Detroit has likely drafted in the top five twice in the past two years as well as additional young players added from the Green, Nyquist, and Howard trades.

9) Play out the year and see where they land, likely another top ten pick. End of this year year the contracts of Ericsson, Daley, and Franzen expire. Another 11.35M in cap space. In three short years Detroit has cleared 42.25M without giving up a single asset. At this point I'd estimate the cap is at least 85M.

10) 2020/21 it's been a three year rebuild and Detroit is ready to compete again. The core is still young; Larkin (24), Mantha (26), Athansious (26), Choloski (22), and Rasmussen (21). Plus two top 5 pick, a top ten pick, and other young players added through the draft and trades.

11) Older players left on contract are Tatar (30, 5.30M/1Y), Nielsen (36, 5.25M/2Y), Abdelkater (33, 4.25M/3Y), Helm (33, 3.85M/1Y), Glendening (31, 1.8M/1Y), and Dekeyser (30, 5.00M/2Y).

12) Depending on how the year goes players on Expiring contracts (Tatar, Helm, Glendening) can be traded at the deadline, re-signed, or walk. Either way those players expiring contracts add up to 11M and Weiss buyout expired giving them an additional 1.6M.

13) 2021/22 is likely a lockout/half lockout year and make give the wings a chance to compliance buy out one of Nielsen, Dekeyser, or Abdelkater's contracts. Since Abdelkater's is the longest that one should go. By this time the cap will be fairly high, Detroit will have many players on ELC's and these contracts won't seem as bad. These older players will slowly be over taken by younger players. Just hope the next GM is much smarter with the cap.

Reactions: breuk

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
I think Zettenberg might retire. Also Kronwall should be easy to trade with 4,75m caphit / 1,75m salary.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think Zettenberg might retire. Also Kronwall should be easy to trade with 4,75m caphit / 1,75m salary.

Holland won’t trade kronwall. Neither will a gm that has came from inside the org

I think we should if we could get something for him. Holland is too loyal though

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
How's that frans Nielsen thing working out?

giphy.gif

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Keys to success are getting rid of Holland and waiting until all those bad contracts come off the books.

In that time it is integral to draft in the first round as much as possible. That is the key to success. Hopefully top 3 once or twice.

Don't make bad signings and don't make trades unless it's taking on salary for good picks.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad