How does Daddy Katz feel about all this?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Good post. :clap:

Totally bang on. I was ready to give the Oilers a chance this season with the new additions thinking something might just change but after 4 games it's quite clear your post is spot on.

Thanks JM.

It really struck me when I witnessed players struggling with parts of their game that are usually not an issue. That is almost always about confidence and trying too hard. Players like Fayne doing that after just 4 games is a strong sign that something is very wrong with the culture of this team. Basic glaring mistakes being made time and time again. I have watched Petry since he arrived and that mistake he made on the PK against Arizona was so blatantly obvious that the only way it happens to a veteran NHL player is if he is playing very tight. That lends itself to tunnel vision and restricted processing.

It happens to all of us...we get wound up and make mistakes only to look back and wonder how in the world we could have missed an obvious solution.

This team is so scared to lose and you cant be successful at anything when you approach it like that. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and losing/failure becomes the only option.

I believe I am seeing that in the coach as well. Some perplexing decisions IMO. At least he protected the players after the Coyotes game. Not much of a positive but it was good to see.

This culture is a big potential problem for players like Draisaitl and Nurse.

The real question is...how does this get turned around?

A good start would be for Katz to disappear into his cave and leave the team alone and run it like a business. He is a variable that will undermine any opportunity at success.

There are many players who played here since 2007 that had their game suffer immensely only to recover it again after leaving Edmonton. It looks to me like that isn't a reoccurring coincidence. The organization has become a black hole. Its losing culture has become its identity.

This team is broken and desperately needs some good fortune to grasp a hold of.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Classy. :shakehead

Feel free to detail exactly what I should be ashamed about here.

I have seen enough this season to realize that the majority of this team is so scared to lose that it is affecting all aspects of their game.

Scrivens...trying to do too much by over handling the puck. Nikitin...same thing. As a matter of fact I see multiple defensmen trying to do too much instead of playing a simple game.

Mistakes galore and I believe its the culture and as an extension of that I see the owner as the person responsible for that for reasons I have already stated. Perhaps it would do you well to reread my post without the emotional baggage that permeates your response.

So please do detail how that perspective is something I should retract due to previous posts.
My issue with you is your hypocrisy. You've hammered everybody that's come to this conclusion before you have. You complain that nobody can write this team off without seeing them play and you've done it after only 4 games. You are right now but so were we before you figured it out. All these issues you're bringing up now existed before this season started. I wouldn't take any issue with you coming to these conclusions and changing your mind if you weren't so overly aggressive knocking people who had the foresight to do it 4 games before you finally saw the light.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My issue with you is your hypocrisy. You've hammered everybody that's come to this conclusion before you have. You complain that nobody can write this team off without seeing them play and you've done it after only 4 games. You are right now but so were we before you figured it out. All these issues you're bringing up now existed before this season started. I wouldn't take any issue with you coming to these conclusions and changing your mind if you weren't so overly aggressive knocking people who had the foresight to do it 4 games before you finally saw the light.

Show me how I have written them off. Back up your big words.

Also you clearly dont know the difference between taking an issue with the gang mentality on this board and people who put thought into their posts.

Its the noise on this board that I was challenging and if you cant make that distinction then I cant help you.

I have also made distinctions on why I arrived at my opinions 4 games in...if that isnt good enough for you then too bad for you.

Disagreeing is fine but all I see you doing is throwing around flimsy accusations and judgements.

So again you post a lot of accusations with no evidence to support them. Just a lot of emotional nonsense.

Show your work if you have evidence that I have contradicted myself because I really dont know what it is you are hoping to accomplish on the path you have taken.

That aside if the real issue is that you have a personal problem with me (and you clearly seem to) you have 2 options....send me a PM to discuss it off the board or put me on ignore.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He doesn't care. The Oilers were a launchpad for his real estate venture.
Yup. This pretty much sums it up entirely.
I'm pleased to say that on the first day Katz managed to wrest control of this team from the EIG, and this board was going delirious, I was one of a very few posters who said this guy was going to be a joke.
Every bit as bad as Ballard or Wirtz.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I'm pleased to say that on the first day Katz managed to wrest control of this team from the EIG, and this board was going delirious, I was one of a very few posters who said this guy was going to be a joke.

I was definitely wrong.

But, I don't think real estate is the entire story. Even if it was, a pissed off city isn't profitable. The only reason Katz has to keep this management group is either A. It's not totally their fault or B. Lowe facilitated the sale of the team in a way that he is owed.

Katz's kid, who I assume is a fan, must hate him right now. I'm sure Katz wants to win; he's been tossing money at the problem. This level of ineptitude is just mind-boggling though. We tanked to get a bunch of players we've ruined or wasted and are now doing it over again. One year it's Detroit's model, now its the Hawks'; there is no plan, this I'm sure. They just pick the team that is winning and say, "we are going to do that," but then.. oilers

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I believe Lowe was ready to step down last season after all of the attention (rightly) given to him, the billboards and such, calling for Lowe to go. 'Lowe must go' or something like that. Apparently, he was willing to step down. Katz told him not to. ****, so close.

So Katz is just fine with the buffoons running the show. Maybe that report was bunk. But even if it was, the fact that Lowe is still here after so much fail says all you need to know about how Katz feels.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Can someone explain the logic of Lowe wanting to step down and Katz not allowing it?

I wasnt aware we had slavery in Canada. If I want to quit my job tomorrow and my boss doesnt allow it I am not exactly sure how he could stop me.

Eirhead*

Can someone explain the logic of Lowe wanting to step down and Katz not allowing it?

I wasnt aware we had slavery in Canada. If I want to quit my job tomorrow and my boss doesnt allow it I am not exactly sure how he could stop me.

That's when you sit at home and keep collecting pay cheques from your overly attached boss.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
From what I remember it wasnt really stepping down as much as it was taking a leave of absence, could be wrong though

Eirhead*

As I remember it, when the Fire Lowe movement was at it's peak, he basically wanted to take a vacation until the season was over. Your president of hockey operations.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I wasn't enthused with the sale either. But also due to the EIG not really being in any position of having to sell. The org was healthy at that point and had obtained the cap it stated it required. It was if anything an aggressive take over bid with Katz making multiple offers and increasing offer price until Nichols caved.

Not a question either that the Oilers purchase was as much about a Real Estate interest as anything and with Katz positioned to make money hand over fist.

Anyway this 20012 link is very interesting in that it involves Katz rewriting history with his own account being far off the mark, and also reveals his plan all along was an arena build.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...dmonton-but-is-that-how-it-actually-happened/

In anycase an argument can be made that this is good for Edmonton if not particularly good for Oiler fans.

As per Katz affiliation with current management no speculation is required. Katz was a fan of the 80's team. That's his primary connection with this logo. Eventually acquiring the club he held interest in had to be a dream fulfilled. But a somewhat nostalgic dream. Given the nostalgia how surprising is it really that the Oilers returned to more traditional colors and retained the logo and stopped use of 3rd jerseys and such during Katz tenure? One wonders if the play of the current squad matters as much as that they are wearing the same colors and logo. That's all that nostalgia requires.

I think what can be stated most about Katz is the man has won so many things in life and had so many victories that victory on ice is seemingly not required in his ego set. Contrast with Pocklington who was far less successful at Business and (as much as I don't favor him either) was far more interested in nurturing a winner for at least a while. With Puck at least you got the sense that winning was something he was ecstatic about. Katz seems indifferent in this regard. To Katz he's already lived the SC Championships intimately, vicariously by being a close friend of the players on that team and hanging with them through that time.

I don't know given that that a SC Win would be as a big a Deal now for Katz as it would be for most pro sports owners. He's already tasted it.

I think this is a fair and balanced rundown that kind of captures where we are at.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Katz is watching practice today with Mact and Howsen.

Thats gotta be good right? lol

The look on MacT's face during the thrashing in Phoenix was like something I hadn't seen in quite awhile. Since MacT was dead man walking. This time I think its Eakins biting it. My take is there could be an announcement soon. Something is up.

Personally I think this is a good thing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Jerry Jones like take over? Couldn't get much worse at this point.

I don't think so. He's sitting WITH MacT and Howsen. I think it interesting that they are together watching a practice, instead of a game. My take with that is it would be more about evaluating some of the rumblings we're heard about practice and getting everybody on the table with that.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of a big player move. That would be a likely mistake.

Also nice to see some pressure finally and the owner looking on. This circumspection should have been happening weeks ago. If not last season when Eakins was floundering.

Not impressed either that the Oil used every preseason game for development instead of preparation and that the org focused as much on the Glory years Oilers reunion instead of sole focus on the current team on ice with this being a CRITICAL time.

Eirhead*

Not impressed either that the Oil used every preseason game for development instead of preparation and that the org focused as much on the Glory years Oilers reunion instead of sole focus on the current team on ice with this being a CRITICAL time.

This couldn't be more over-stated. As in, nipping the losing in the butt right now needs to happen if we want to see ANY progress this year. Something needs to happen. A trade, a firing, I don't know... But whatever their plan was going into the season, it's fallen extremely flat at this point.

4 games is by no means a critical point... but the way they've been losing - it looks like zero progress has been made defensively. Or you might even say it's regressed based on how many damn goals they've let in so far. In any case, I do think the team has the power within themselves to buckle down and win in the NHL, but maybe the coach they have is the wrong man for the job. At least Krueger had us dreaming of playoffs around the trade deadline. With Eakins it's looking like we'll be out of the playoff race before November again.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The look on MacT's face during the thrashing in Phoenix was like something I hadn't seen in quite awhile. Since MacT was dead man walking. This time I think its Eakins biting it. My take is there could be an announcement soon. Something is up.

Personally I think this is a good thing.

Well since me and you have been hoping since last season, lets hope it comes true :handclap:

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I don't think so. He's sitting WITH MacT and Howsen. I think it interesting that they are together watching a practice, instead of a game. My take with that is it would be more about evaluating some of the rumblings we're heard about practice and getting everybody on the table with that.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of a big player move. That would be a likely mistake.

Also nice to see some pressure finally and the owner looking on. This circumspection should have been happening weeks ago. If not last season when Eakins was floundering.

That's exactly what it is, imo. Owners and C-suite execs aren't brought in for trivial issues (evaluating things like team practices, culture, etc. are day-to-day jobs for the GM). The fact that they are watching a practice and not a game (i.e. the players [though could be Eakins]) and that Howson is with them suggests that there's fire behind the Edm<>CLB rumor smoke and that the deal on the table is significant enough that a face-to-face with the owner is called for. My bet is that Yak is traded by the end of the day. I'd prefer to be proven wrong.

Eirhead*

That's exactly what it is, imo. Owners and C-suite execs aren't brought in for trivial issues (evaluating things like team practices, culture, etc. are day-to-day jobs for the GM). The fact that they are watching a practice and not a game (i.e. the players [though could be Eakins]) and that Howson is with them suggests that there's fire behind the Edm<>CLB rumor smoke and that the deal on the table is significant enough that a face-to-face with the owner is called for. My bet is that Yak is traded by the end of the day. I'd prefer to be proven wrong.

Ugggggh... Yak is looking like our best right winger going into the future :shakehead

If I had to pick a top 5 player on our team, I'd rather unload Eberle.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yak is my current favorite personality on the team and a player imo that is interesting to watch and see develop.

Sure hope this isn't what it is.

This org can take a flying leap if its going to give up on a young #1 pick instead of ****canning the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad