How does Daddy Katz feel about all this?

Eirhead*

He bought the team, what, 6 years ago. Has never been to the playoffs, and has had a carousel of boobs running the team. Is he angry? Ashamed? Embarrassed? Disappointed? Indifferent? I'm confused... what's his angle?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
post-8744-wiping-tears-with-money-gif-hd-lkhv.gif

nZPhxT5.gif

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Katz doesn't give a **** about the on ice product or result. It's pretty clear. Our only hope is that his kid seems to be involved with the Oilers. Hopefully, when Katz passes in 100 years (billionaires, man. He'll outlive us all.) his son will actually do some work with this sad sack group.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yup... If Katz cared about the product on the ice, he would've fired the losers in management
All he cares about is getting his palace built and keeping his hockey friends on the payroll

Worst owner in proffessional sports

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He bought the team, what, 6 years ago. Has never been to the playoffs, and has had a carousel of boobs running the team. Is he angry? Ashamed? Embarrassed? Disappointed? Indifferent? I'm confused... what's his angle?

Hummm

EVERYGAME SOLD OUT

Everyone buying oiler crap and eating all the crap sold in the stands?

it has increased his wealth---if he decreased his wealth then he would be concerned

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Hummm

EVERYGAME SOLD OUT

Everyone buying oiler crap and eating all the crap sold in the stands?

it has increased his wealth---if he decreased his wealth then he would be concerned

It's true. In the end, it really does come back on the fans. If there were other options in Edmonton for entertainment, outside of hockey, we'd have a chance. But alas, such things don't exist that can compete.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
He's making money, he got us to pay for the arena, he gets to profit from it, and he gets to watch all of us freak the **** out about his from his nice house in Vancouver. I'm sure he gives like zero ****s. The oilers are another Rexall franchise. It's only an issue if it stops making money.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have tried really really hard this season to put a positive spin on things. I am dumbfounded how good players come to Edmonton and turn into garbage. How many players have looked good on other teams only to come to Edmonton and have their play go into a black hole? There have been many and I believe the reason comes down to team culture.

Its so damn depressing to admit the reality of how bad this organization has become under Katz's ownership. Katz is the problem with this team but the Oiler fan base is stuck with him and his ways.

I am not going to defend the team or defend Eakins anymore...this team has been playing reckless hockey for 5 years now. Way back then I used to harp on and on about the lack of quality veteran leadership and how hard it WILL BE to undo a losing culture and was drowned out by the majority of the board who thought gathering high draft picks was the only solution.

Now here we are 5 years later and we have a team that has been solidly conditioned on how to lose. The last time I saw this team play a system of any kind was when MacT was the coach in 2006. Brilliant coaching and the team played the system to a T. Since 2009 we have seen an exodus of veterans replaced with shiny new draft picks and the play of this team has deteriorated ever since that started. It was evident with Quinn and Renney...it was evident with Kruger as the team couldn't deal with the increased intensity in the stretch run and their loosy goosy system broke down....same thing last season and early this season with Eakins.

This is what a team looks like when you hand it over to rookie players without the benefit of being tutored by solid veteran players to teach them how to win. Coaching in and of itself will never accomplish that.
This is what a team looks like when the owner refuses to hold Management accountable. This is how a team responds when they know the Management group above them isn't accountable.

This is what a team looks like when you have an owner like Katz that runs the team management structure like he would run a summer vacation with his friends.

Lack of accountability....check.
Meddling in hockey operations....check.
Taking full advantage of a hockey mad city like Edmonton by milking it as much as possible...check.

This ladies and gentlemen is what a losing culture looks like.

I have no idea how this gets turned around.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He got his arena largely paid for, as well as LRT access. He sells out every game. He got a cushy TSN Oil Change show and Sportsnet broadcasting contract. Plus he has the fans scared to protest and the local media selling propaganda.

All while playing in a league that got sweet national coverage, is racking in relocation fees at the cost of sunken franchises, is potentially looking at expansion, and is always able to lock players out to suppress salaries. The guy is laughing straight to the bank, and he didn't even have to show up to a city council meeting.

What's not to respect? All he does is win.

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I honestly think he's running the team. Since he took over we've been run like a fantasy team, which is exactly what would happen if a fan was in charge.

KLowe had some ability at one time, he got some things right, but it vanished once Katz appeared. It would explain the job security too

Doswell

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton
The only time that Katz has ever blinked was when the furor erupted after he and his management team visited Seattle in the early days of arena negotiations. Full page apology ads in the local papers are a big-time blink - but it was triggered by public reaction rather than media reaction.

Lowe and Co will suppress ANY attempt at protest on Oilers' property, and they have the local media far too intimidated for them to be agents of change.

The only thing that might get Katz to blink again is something aimed at Rexall - something sufficiently public, widespread and damaging that neither he nor the local media can ignore it. Until then it will continue to be more of the same.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would hope that at some point he will say enough is enough, but he seems to think that we have the right guys in place so we are ****ed.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I honestly think he's running the team. Since he took over we've been run like a fantasy team, which is exactly what would happen if a fan was in charge.

KLowe had some ability at one time, he got some things right, but it vanished once Katz appeared. It would explain the job security too

That would make a lot of sense. Wasn't he sitting next to Lowe hunting for big name free agents after he bought the team? Maybe he's still involved. The ego and stubbornness of management reminds me of a billionaire..

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
If he was such a big fanboy of the 80s Oilers and wants to coach and GM like slats then he should be sitting next to Mess not KLowe.

Angelus*

Katz is a jock-sniffing fanboy who cares more about being best bros with Lowe et al than fielding a hockey team. Then he demands this city build him a new palace or he'll take his team somewhere else. Man I hope he has an "accident" someday.

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
He doesn't care. The Oilers were a launchpad for his real estate venture.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Katz = Theoden
Lowe = Grima Wormtongue

Katz has been assured from his boyhood heros that the team will be stanley cup ready for when the new arena opens.

The team still sells out, still probably has a healthy waiting list for season tickets.

I'm sure he wants to win but the team is a fan boy toy and moneymaker to him. As long as he can go on fanboying and making cash he is fine.

DJ EarWax

Apr 3, 2011
It's true. In the end, it really does come back on the fans. If there were other options in Edmonton for entertainment, outside of hockey, we'd have a chance. But alas, such things don't exist that can compete.
This is a bunch of BS. I know lots of people, especially lately, whom occupy their time with many other things than hockey. But hey, never miss a chance to trash our city, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad