How does Daddy Katz feel about all this?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
He doesn't give a ratz azz about the product, otherwise he would of done something years ago.

He does care about the collapsing Canadian Dollar and weak oil prices though. It is now inevitable that a weak(ER) Canadian economy and a ****** on ice product are going to hurt his bottom line.

The end of Kevin and his puppets is near.

Eirhead*

This is a bunch of BS. I know lots of people, especially lately, whom occupy their time with many other things than hockey. But hey, never miss a chance to trash our city, right?

I also come into Edmonton to accumulate photo radar tickets, take rock chips to my window, and play hockey... oh wait, you said no hockey :dunce:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I have tried really really hard this season to put a positive spin on things. I am dumbfounded how good players come to Edmonton and turn into garbage. How many players have looked good on other teams only to come to Edmonton and have their play go into a black hole? There have been many and I believe the reason comes down to team culture.

Its so damn depressing to admit the reality of how bad this organization has become under Katz's ownership. Katz is the problem with this team but the Oiler fan base is stuck with him and his ways.

I am not going to defend the team or defend Eakins anymore...this team has been playing reckless hockey for 5 years now. Way back then I used to harp on and on about the lack of quality veteran leadership and how hard it WILL BE to undo a losing culture and was drowned out by the majority of the board who thought gathering high draft picks was the only solution.

Now here we are 5 years later and we have a team that has been solidly conditioned on how to lose. The last time I saw this team play a system of any kind was when MacT was the coach in 2006. Brilliant coaching and the team played the system to a T. Since 2009 we have seen an exodus of veterans replaced with shiny new draft picks and the play of this team has deteriorated ever since that started. It was evident with Quinn and Renney...it was evident with Kruger as the team couldn't deal with the increased intensity in the stretch run and their loosy goosy system broke down....same thing last season and early this season with Eakins.

This is what a team looks like when you hand it over to rookie players without the benefit of being tutored by solid veteran players to teach them how to win. Coaching in and of itself will never accomplish that.
This is what a team looks like when the owner refuses to hold Management accountable. This is how a team responds when they know the Management group above them isn't accountable.

This is what a team looks like when you have an owner like Katz that runs the team management structure like he would run a summer vacation with his friends.

Lack of accountability....check.
Meddling in hockey operations....check.
Taking full advantage of a hockey mad city like Edmonton by milking it as much as possible...check.

This ladies and gentlemen is what a losing culture looks like.

I have no idea how this gets turned around.

What an amazing about face from just last week when you were mocking similar views and stating that such commentary is "inflexible, myopic, closed book"..and stating we should wait for how this season unfolds.. :amazed:

Is that crow or turkey on your plate? ;)

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What an amazing about face from just last week when you were mocking similar views and stating that such commentary is inflexible..:amazed:

Not surprised at all that you would miss the point of this post entirely.

:facepalm:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How would I guess that you would miss the point of this post entirely.

Simply pointing out that you were mocking similar views expressed here just last week. Should I direct posters to the thread in question?

hey whatever you want and I wouldn't even bring it up if you were not so vehemently expressing the polar opposite of what you are stating now just last week.

You couldn't seriously expect that nobody would notice that polar extreme in your views occurring in just one week.

I do agree that you are "dumbfounded" on this topic. ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Simply pointing out that you were mocking similar views expressed here just last week. Should I direct posters to the thread in question?

hey whatever you want and I wouldn't even bring it up if you were not so vehemently expressing the polar opposite of what you are stating now just last week.

You couldn't seriously expect that nobody would notice that polar extreme in your views occurring in just one week.

I do agree that you are "dumbfounded" on this topic. ;)

Its funny how difficult it appears to be for you to see past your own version of things. Do I care enough to spend multiple posts trying to explain my position to you...not really. Its pretty clear in the original post...you know, the one which you have already decided to selectively ignore.

Carry on.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I would hope Katz would actually like to be associated with a winning team. It's likely going to take bad revenue numbers before he actually does anything to change the management group though. Stop giving the Oilers your money you suckers! Only people that should be at games now are sick people that are super fans, kids that are too young to comprehend the true nature of the Oiler suck (and their parents/guardians for safety) and family members of the oilers org.

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
He doesn't give a ratz azz about the product, otherwise he would of done something years ago.

He does care about the collapsing Canadian Dollar and weak oil prices though. It is now inevitable that a weak(ER) Canadian economy and a ****** on ice product are going to hurt his bottom line.

The end of Kevin and his puppets is near.

I wonder how exposed the Oilers are to the drop in the CAD. You would think that an organization that is spending $67m in USD denominated salaries this season has hedged their currency risk. Who am I kidding, this is the Oilers......

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It's true. In the end, it really does come back on the fans. If there were other options in Edmonton for entertainment, outside of hockey, we'd have a chance. But alas, such things don't exist that can compete.

The Oilers are considered "entertainment". Did not know.

Well, I guess Freak Shows are people too.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
post-8744-wiping-tears-with-money-gif-hd-lkhv.gif

nZPhxT5.gif

Pretty much this, although I'm not sure he is even crying. From his POV, he is running a very successful business. No need to change anything until the fans stop coming.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I would hope Katz would actually like to be associated with a winning team. It's likely going to take bad revenue numbers before he actually does anything to change the management group though. Stop giving the Oilers your money you suckers! Only people that should be at games now are sick people that are super fans, kids that are too young to comprehend the true nature of the Oiler suck (and their parents/guardians for safety) and family members of the oilers org.

Then the team will be moved out and we have an empty new arena. He's got us over a barrel.

For a man who has all the money he needs, it is not about money to him anyway.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That would make a lot of sense. Wasn't he sitting next to Lowe hunting for big name free agents after he bought the team? Maybe he's still involved. The ego and stubbornness of management reminds me of a billionaire..
I thought it was pretty chilling to see Katz sitting at the table with the executive committee when they were making their Olympic team selections. That suggests to me he could be running the Oilers. The Yakupov draft rumors support the idea too. Oh well, what can you do?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Then the team will be moved out and we have an empty new arena. He's got us over a barrel.

I firmly believe the NHL would award us an expansion team. Some business men are going to see the great potential. We are clearly a money making city for the NHL, and would have a new arena.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
I wonder how exposed the Oilers are to the drop in the CAD. You would think that an organization that is spending $67m in USD denominated salaries this season has hedged their currency risk. Who am I kidding, this is the Oilers......

Whether it's a hockey team or your financial future, there is only one way to do it:

image.jpg

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not surprised at all that you would miss the point of this post entirely.

The point that seems the clearest is the only opinion that matters on any issue is the one you currently hold but that it could change next week.:shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

they have a high school grad kid watching the FX trends and making decisions that go against all regular logic.

Timmy, cad is dropping again you have that hedged right?

whoa man like im just letting it ride dawg its coming back, check out my hair and my twitter

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

And where's Katz going to get another sweetheart deal like he has here?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i would love to see someone use that fund me site to raise enough money to buy all the tickets in the lower bowl for a saturday night HNIC game and then have none of them used. Sure katz has already got the money for the tickets but the national embarassment of having a florida fanscape in edmonton on a saturday night would be awesome.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The point that seems the clearest is the only opinion that matters on any issue is the one you currently hold but that it could change next week.:shakehead

Classy. :shakehead

Feel free to detail exactly what I should be ashamed about here.

I have seen enough this season to realize that the majority of this team is so scared to lose that it is affecting all aspects of their game.

Scrivens...trying to do too much by over handling the puck. Nikitin...same thing. As a matter of fact I see multiple defensmen trying to do too much instead of playing a simple game.

Mistakes galore and I believe its the culture and as an extension of that I see the owner as the person responsible for that for reasons I have already stated. Perhaps it would do you well to reread my post without the emotional baggage that permeates your response.

So please do detail how that perspective is something I should retract due to previous posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I can't imagine how bad season ticket holders feel about wasting their money

Pretty happy I'm a second tier fan

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
EIG might not be able to afford the salaries right now, but I believe they would have turfed management after all this pessimism.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I have tried really really hard this season to put a positive spin on things. I am dumbfounded how good players come to Edmonton and turn into garbage. How many players have looked good on other teams only to come to Edmonton and have their play go into a black hole? There have been many and I believe the reason comes down to team culture.

Its so damn depressing to admit the reality of how bad this organization has become under Katz's ownership. Katz is the problem with this team but the Oiler fan base is stuck with him and his ways.

I am not going to defend the team or defend Eakins anymore...this team has been playing reckless hockey for 5 years now. Way back then I used to harp on and on about the lack of quality veteran leadership and how hard it WILL BE to undo a losing culture and was drowned out by the majority of the board who thought gathering high draft picks was the only solution.

Now here we are 5 years later and we have a team that has been solidly conditioned on how to lose. The last time I saw this team play a system of any kind was when MacT was the coach in 2006. Brilliant coaching and the team played the system to a T. Since 2009 we have seen an exodus of veterans replaced with shiny new draft picks and the play of this team has deteriorated ever since that started. It was evident with Quinn and Renney...it was evident with Kruger as the team couldn't deal with the increased intensity in the stretch run and their loosy goosy system broke down....same thing last season and early this season with Eakins.

This is what a team looks like when you hand it over to rookie players without the benefit of being tutored by solid veteran players to teach them how to win. Coaching in and of itself will never accomplish that.
This is what a team looks like when the owner refuses to hold Management accountable. This is how a team responds when they know the Management group above them isn't accountable.

This is what a team looks like when you have an owner like Katz that runs the team management structure like he would run a summer vacation with his friends.

Lack of accountability....check.
Meddling in hockey operations....check.
Taking full advantage of a hockey mad city like Edmonton by milking it as much as possible...check.

This ladies and gentlemen is what a losing culture looks like.

I have no idea how this gets turned around.
Good post. :clap:

Totally bang on. I was ready to give the Oilers a chance this season with the new additions thinking something might just change but after 4 games it's quite clear your post is spot on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad