How does a goalie feel when the puck is on the other side?

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
This is what they do, chillax and take it easy

kari-lehtonen-sits-on-his-net.gif

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
A professional NHL goaltender is expected to be watching the play intently and anticipating any rapidly developing chances coming his way or any clears in his direction. If you're at this level you have to have your head in the game at all times. Doesn't always happen.

Pretty much. They need to be focused and on the lookout for the incoming transition play. Unlike when I last played NHL Be a Pro mode circa 2011/12 and would put the controller down when my team had the puck so I could browse HFBoards and read about how the Oilers would be "scary" in a few years with all their shiny first overalls.

It's even worse in soccer. Some of those goalies go through entire games without having to make a save.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
always watching because the play can turn back your way in a split second and you have to be ready. i think you would be shocked by the amount of small movements a goalie does when the puck is in the other end (im a goalie).

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Speaking as a goalie (soccer) I'd watch and anticipated... sometimes you get distracted though and just kinda stare. Also if you're full of confidence you want to be challenged so, if my team is already winning or its early in the game I'd want to see them make a mistake here or there. Basically, I'd be welcoming shots or attacks.

Was the same for me, too. The hardest games were the ones with almost no action, there you can get actually bored and have to force yourself to stay concentrated.

I also played the position in handball, and I liked that much more, as you see a lot more action as a goalie there.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
always watching because the play can turn back your way in a split second and you have to be ready. i think you would be shocked by the amount of small movements a goalie does when the puck is in the other end (im a goalie).

If you don't stupid non-sense like this can happen .

Explanation : A goal got called back and the opposing team continued very fast . The keeper didn't notice though because the goal music started in the stadium so he went back to take a sip of his water bottle . Well bad timing.

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
They are watching the benches and the player numbers. You play a different way depending on who is on the ice.

If you notice that Stamkos just came out on the ice then you know in the back of your mind that you’re fat ass better cheat over and stop that one timer even if you don’t see him because you know he is there lol

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
View attachment 102233

Ken Dryden used to straight up chill when the puck was in the oppositions end
I was a goalie as well for a while in middle and high school and that’s legit what I’d do because my team was pretty good and I didn’t see much action. There was one game we had when I was in middle school the puck wouldn’t cross our own teams blue line that I legit sat down and chilled the whole time. I saw less than 5 shots and even they weren’t good chances

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Depends on how the game is going. Is my team dominating and spends majority of the time in the offensive zone? I'll get bored and skate around a bit to stay loose. But regular games where there is constant back and forth? You sit and chill at the top of the crease and pay attention to the play just in case a fast breaks starts to come your way. I've been playing goalie for 25 years.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Same here, I usually end up making very small adjustments every few seconds. I'm a jumpy/tweaky guy anyhow so basically whenever I see the puck even getting close to the red line I enter defcon 1 mode

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Jonathan Quick completely dissociates from his body, and only returns after the first shot in 15 minutes goes in.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Well when I played goalie in the nhl, I always felt amped up. Like "yeah that's right. Get that puck outta here. Don't be bringing that shit back over here or I'll another that stuff or deflect it out of play."

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
They do quite a bit.

1) Track play. They need to be aware of odd breaks coming back
2) When you're on the PP, they all beat their sticks against the ice to let you know that the player is back on the ice. That's why sometimes there's a breakdown after a penalty with the goalie pulled: no reference to when it's over other than the refs.
3) They often guide breakouts.
4) They watch line changes to determine how best to set themselves.

There is a great camera angle in the Gamecenter app that has the overheads for the goalies. They do quite a bit.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
goalies are crazy. who the hell knows what they think or feel at any time. I used to sing to myself nonsense songs or do play by play for myself. but before the trapezoid if the puck was in the other end for a long time and it came down to my end, chances are I would go out of my way to play the puck ( even though I sucked at it). There is nothing worse that getting no work for a long period of time and having the other team score on the first shot, and a lot of goalies I know liked the work over the wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: