How does a goalie feel when the puck is on the other side?

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
When the goalie's team is in the offensive zone, does he feel lonely or does he maybe get distracted? I'm asking because the camera isn't showing the goalie when the puck is on the opposite side.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
One of the last times I played a new NHL game, which must've been like 08 or 09, they had just introduced that Be a Pro mode or whatever it was called, and I wanted to play as the goalie. But half the game you're just sitting there hoping your team turns the puck over so you can get some action on your end. Then you give up a goal and feel shame.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
One of the last times I played a new NHL game, which must've been like 08 or 09, they had just introduced that Be a Pro mode or whatever it was called, and I wanted to play as the goalie. But half the game you're just sitting there hoping your team turns the puck over so you can get some action on your end. Then you give up a goal and feel shame.

6e045162cf67e9e8dac724ad23296bde_1000-images-about-game-of-shame-memes-game-of-thrones_736-585-e1491398600477.jpeg

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
They get lonely. By the time most tendys reach the NHL they become extremely awkward, because they’ve spent so much time with nobody to talk to, while they wait for the next attack; contemplating the various ways they can let the team down with one simple slip of focus, they go insane.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
"Please score and make the other goalie look bad."

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Feeling lonely, yes, but he shouldn't be getting distracted.

A goalie's job isn't just keeping the puck out of the net. Its also helping with the transition game and acting as the on ice defensive co-ordinator.

A goalie should be still paying attention to the play(and in certain cases, the clock) in case he has to give a heads up to his D on their positioning on certain plays in the offensive zone.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I'm not gonna explain this correctly however I remember reading an SI article back in the 90s where they hooked up heart rate monitors to goalies, and apparently their heart rate stays the same (high) throughout the entire game regardless of which side of the ice the puck is in.

No idea if that's true or not, just something I recall from way back.

Reactions: Jason316

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
They feel left out. I think the NHL should lead the way and have a rotating system where goalie can participate in attacks too while a forward stays low to cover for the goalie.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
They have severe separation anxiety and wait at the top of the crease for all of the fowards and dmen on the ice to come back and visit.
That is why when you see goalie fights they other goalie is jealous cause he feels the other goalie is more popular as he sees more of the action than the other.

Reactions: dkhockey

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
No, I'm talking about when the puck is in play. Do you really think the puck was in play when that picture was taken?

If remembering correctly, the puck actually was in play..

E: No, it wasn't in the end.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I used to read that the psychological effects of prolonged offensive zone time for a goalie's team are comparable to solitary confinement, and some goalies draw little faces with sharpies on their blocker and talk to it in order to feel like they're interacting with other human beings, but sometimes they take it too far and pull the blocker into reality and start believing that the blocker is the goalie and they are the blocker, also the really crazy ones like Marty Belfour made their glove into a face and squeezed it together like it was a mouth and talked shit to it in between rehab stints on deviantart

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
A professional NHL goaltender is expected to be watching the play intently and anticipating any rapidly developing chances coming his way or any clears in his direction. If you're at this level you have to have your head in the game at all times. Doesn't always happen.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Speaking as a goalie (soccer) I'd watch and anticipated... sometimes you get distracted though and just kinda stare. Also if you're full of confidence you want to be challenged so, if my team is already winning or its early in the game I'd want to see them make a mistake here or there. Basically, I'd be welcoming shots or attacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad