Sean Walker
Yakov Trenin
Brandon Duhaime

Out:
Ryan Johansen
Bowen Byram
Ben Meyers
Kurtis MacDermid

I don't know about you, but just looking at the NHL roster players in/out, that's a huge win for the "In" column. RyJo was dead weight; an offensive black hole and a defensive liability. Byram was good but underused and buried on the bottom pair. Meyers was clearly not a fit for what they wanted the bottom six to look like this year. MacDermid is a plug.

On the "In" group, we have a legit young 2C who is only 25 years old, a solid middle pairing RHD, plus two big nasty bruisers for the 4th line. Between Trenin, Duhaime, Wood, and Colton, that's a hell of a lot of sandpaper in the bottom six. Plus we finally have somebody who can run a 2nd line for secondary scoring.

We're loaded for bear this season, and have a long term solution at 2C, AND haven't given up a single top prospect in the process. All we lost in futures was next year's 1st, some mid round draft picks we were going to waste on busts anyway, and a couple long shot prospects in Hanzel and Meyers. LFG, bring on the playoffs.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I am in between Satisfied and very satisfied.....

Still wanted a goalie and maybe depth D....

But overall we are much betteer team and heavier. Our bottom 6 will be a pain i the ass for every team we face....

And we shipped SloJo out.....
For those of you wanting a LHD, who did you have in mind? There wasn't really a pretty market for guys who would bump JJ down.

As for goalies, judging by the Allen price perhaps it was best the Avs did nothing. You also can't force a team to trade with you and it seems SJ may have simply preferred NJ's offer over anything the Avs offered.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
LD will be a big problem if Girard gets injured again in the playoffs. Then the left side gets really thin. Next man up is gonna be JJ then Jones unless one of Manson or Walker can play the left side which I’m not sure if they can.

Reactions: Foppa2118

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Pretty satisfied. Avs are a more balanced team and have a better shot at a cup than we did last week. Wish we added more defensive depth tho. Another goalie would have been nice but seems like the market was tough.

While I like Mitts I do wish we got someone with a higher ceiling back. I’m fine with moving Byram as I don’t think he reaches his ceiling here but I do wonder what kinda names he would have made available thinking about it a day later. Hoping Mitts proves me wrong and puts up 80 points next year.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Pretty satisfied. Avs are a more balanced team and have a better shot at a cup than we did last week. Wish we added more defensive depth tho. Another goalie would have been nice but seems like the market was tough.

While I like Mitts I do wish we got someone with a higher ceiling back. I’m fine with moving Byram as I don’t think he reaches his ceiling here but I do wonder what kinda names he would have made available thinking about it a day later. Hoping Mitts proves me wrong and puts up 80 points next year.
Ask yourself how many teams have an extra young center, capable of being a 2C right now, with a higher ceiling that Mittlestadt, that other teams are willing to move, that are looking for a LD in return.

List those players.

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Posting this here instead...

I'm happy with the deadline as a whole...but from the outside, I don't like it when our GM tries to do something, fails, and then do nothing. As if there's no plan B.

It seems that it happened to CMac last year (paid for retention on Eller even if we didn't need it in the end) and this year again (was reportedly active for a goalie, didn't get one, and now we got nothing and aren't using all our cap space).

I agree with this..

Here is hoping George calms the f*** down, and dials in.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I have to give Cmac a A- on this one. Bottom line we are a much better team now then we were one week ago. All while still keeping our big name prospects, and 2024 1st. He didn't mortgage the future and didn't just get all rentals. Our window still looks bright the next 2-3 years.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Gotta say I think MacFarland did a great job. I would like to have seen more starts from Justus to be more comfortable with him as the backup but his last few games were strong.

I would like to know just how seriously Chris got in either talks or thoughts about making a change in net though.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Ask yourself how many teams have an extra young center, capable of being a 2C right now, with a higher ceiling that Mittlestadt, that other teams are willing to move, that are looking for a LD in return.

List those players.

I’d personally prefer Zegras who might be available but no doubt Mitts is more ready now which is probably more important for this Avs team. Which is why I’m fine with the move. Could just see Bo flourishing in a better situation and I know it wasn’t happening here but he was our best realistic trade chip.

I can’t list the players because who knows. 6 months ago Byram wasn’t available. Who expected Hertl to be moved. We were a lock to get a goalie yet we didn’t. I would guess Byram could have made unavailable names available but maybe not.

Either way I’m happy about the trade. Avs needed a 2C and got one. Just saying in a perfect world maybe would have preferred one with more upside. No doubt Mitts was #1 in terms of what was publicly available which is why we all wanted him.

Reactions: shadow1

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I’d personally prefer Zegras who might be available but no doubt Mitts is more ready now which is probably more important for this Avs team. Which is why I’m fine with the move. Could just see Bo flourishing in a better situation and I know it wasn’t happening here but he was our best realistic trade chip.

I can’t list the players because who knows. 6 months ago Byram wasn’t available. Who expected Hertl to be moved. We were a lock to get a goalie yet we didn’t. I would guess Byram could have made unavailable names available but maybe not.

Either way I’m happy about the trade. Avs needed a 2C and got one. Just saying in a perfect world maybe would have preferred one with more upside. No doubt Mitts was #1 in terms of what was publicly available which is why we all wanted him.
I agree, really impossible to know.

But if you’re acquiring a long term C, who’s young, most teams don’t move those guys, UNLESS they have somewhat of a replacement.

Legitimately, I can’t think of anyone besides Zegras and Mittlestadt. There’s many young quality Cs in the league, but it’s highly doubtful that teams are willing to move them because of not having a viable replacement.

Then even you find that player, that team has to want what you have more than what every other team is willing to give.

Considering the circumstances, this was a perfect threading of a needle trade for the Avs. It legitimately hits every aspect of their needs in a 2C.

I find it difficult to be critical in this scenario.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I agree, really impossible to know.

But if you’re acquiring a long term C, who’s young, most teams don’t move those guys, UNLESS they have somewhat of a replacement.

Legitimately, I can’t think of anyone besides Zegras and Mittlestadt. There’s many young quality Cs in the league, but it’s highly doubtful that teams are willing to move them because of not having a viable replacement.

Then even you find that player, that team has to want what you have more than what every other team is willing to give.

Considering the circumstances, this was a perfect threading of a needle trade for the Avs. It legitimately hits every aspect of their needs in a 2C.

I find it difficult to be critical in this scenario.

All valid points. I agree it’s exactly what this team needed. Byram wasn’t going to play PP1 minutes here or on the top pair full time which meant we likely weren’t going to see his ceiling anyways.

I was calling for a trade like this to happen so won’t criticize the FO for doing it. Just saying after the smoke has settled wishing there was abit more upside. Which in fairness to Mitts could certainly exist and I’d hope to be wrong.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Gotta say I think MacFarland did a great job. I would like to have seen more starts from Justus to be more comfortable with him as the backup but his last few games were strong.

I would like to know just how seriously Chris got in either talks or thoughts about making a change in net though.
If Avs lose early in the playoffs like a 1st or 2nd round and mainly because of Georgiev, CMac will have to make a change in net by getting a new starter for the next year even if Georgiev still has term on his contract.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If Avs lose early in the playoffs like a 1st or 2nd round and mainly because of Georgiev, CMac will have to make a change in net by getting a new starter for the next year even if Georgiev still has term on his contract.
That's kind of the way I feel about it too. I mean, 12 months ago Georgiev's play wasn't even a question yet. Then the playoffs hit and he's just been erratic since. But CMac started the season with unfinished business at 2C, which he took care of. We went the season with a combination of Olofsson, Kivi and MacDermid on the 4th line. With a healthy lineup, neither of the two remaining will see the ice.

Unless there are internal cracks developing between the players and Georgiev, then I would say CMac has made the right call and given both the team and Georgiev the chance to go back out and show last season's early ouster was a fluke. Alexandar's problems appear to be between the ears...that's why I'm optimistic that he can be reset to a degree by the time the playoffs start.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Awesome they're having the TDL PC and there's zero way to watch or listen

Altitude TV has Avs pregame on, but no PC. Radio is just normal programing

Nothing on their YouTube Channel. Nothing on Twitter or Facebook

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Concerned about goaltending and a lot of west teams loaded up, but we have the tools to make a run

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Concerned about goaltending and a lot of west teams loaded up, but we have the tools to make a run
A lot of teams in general loaded up. I don't think I've seen this many teams go all-in so aggressively in a long time. The playoffs are going to be awesome this year in both Conferences no matter what. I'm glad CMac was willing to get busy instead of sitting idle while Vegas and Winnipeg went on a spending spree.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A solid B. Trusting Annunen to be the back up to a really bad starter is certainly a choice. Avs already seen just how important a back up can be in the playoffs and they trustin Justus with that? Ok.

I was "ok" the Mittens trade because they got super aggressive and went and filled the 2C in season.....then we see Hertl go to a rival for the price he did and then I didnt like it as much. Seriously. the NHL needs to investigate Mike Grier. He has to be betting. Also, LOL at everyone who told me Hertl was pretty much unmovable. Yah how bout that.

I really like the Walker acquisition.

Duhaime im not sure with yet. Seems like an overpay.

I like Trenin alot aswell.

Grade: B

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

It was interesting to me how he mentioned several times the idea that the team "deserved" to have the chips pushed in this year and in 2022. If that's how he views it, I wonder if there was something about last year's team that made him reluctant to do the same. We needed a 2C last year, too, and all we got was a decrepit Lars Eller. The dueling narratives around here were that he either didn't have the guts to go all in or that he was outbid on all of his deals and they fell through, but maybe there was something else going on.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Allen @ 50% retained for this year and next year went for a 3rd

That's not a lot
His $2m caphit next year is too much. He'd have to have come in at 75% retained which would have cost more than a 3rd.

LD will be a big problem if Girard gets injured again in the playoffs. Then the left side gets really thin. Next man up is gonna be JJ then Jones unless one of Manson or Walker can play the left side which I’m not sure if they can.
Can Behrens still feature in the playoffs or is it already too late to register him? He'd potentially be an interesting option next to Manson on the 3rd pairing if we had an injury at LHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad