How do you feel about playoff officiating? (by letting them "play it out"?)

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024

Attachments

• C1C176C0-B816-4291-BE1C-F5BC731B02B5.jpeg
    C1C176C0-B816-4291-BE1C-F5BC731B02B5.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Kadri's job is to control his own emotions. Something he has shown time and time again that he is incapable of.

I wanted to respond to this again, because reading through the conversation I realized that I didn’t say that Kadri’s job is not to control his emotions, it’s to do everything he can to win.

It’s the refs jobs to stop him (and everyone else on the ice) from breaking the rules.

The problem with the refs in the NHL is that they stopped Kadri, but didn’t stop anyone else.

It’s their fault, nothing to do with him

Reactions: Summer Rose

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
Any NHL team would be best served taking more control of their own fate(s). Like ones does in own life pretty much, or boxer who lost a #1 BS judges decision. That boxer either pouts, or comes into next fight knocking that same opponent out with KO, leaving nothing to human elements. Teams who want more control, have to become a complete team that can play any styled game. Then that team can better handle whatever refs, networks, and leagues throw at them. That's how any team gives themselves better odds of combating this. Easier said than done, and one will have still hit bumps in the road fighting sports #1 BS. Love sports, and there's plenty still to cheer for, moments to cherish, but do realize what money, humans, and monopolies, like ESPN, are doing to sports. Change is certain, adaptation is not.....

I hear this a lot, but while it's one thing for a coach to say stuff like that to the players, it's quite another for other people to call out the BS. I use baseball as an example. I'm a pitchers' guy, but I also do not support in any way, shape, or form that it's ok that a ball three inches off the outside corner to be called a strike "because it's consistently called that." A batter should not have to start swinging at pitches off the plate.

Same with hockey. A team that is set up to play whatever style that is within the rules should not have to "adapt" to a team that is allowed to play outside the rules. Just because a team can't skate doesn't mean the opponent should adapt to a hooking and holding game.

It's hard enough to compete against one opponent, it's very difficult to fight two. And refs who allow the rulebook to be ignored become an opponent, whether it makes for good soundbites or not.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
I hear this a lot, but while it's one thing for a coach to say stuff like that to the players, it's quite another for other people to call out the BS. I use baseball as an example. I'm a pitchers' guy, but I also do not support in any way, shape, or form that it's ok that a ball three inches off the outside corner to be called a strike "because it's consistently called that." A batter should not have to start swinging at pitches off the plate.

Same with hockey. A team that is set up to play whatever style that is within the rules should not have to "adapt" to a team that is allowed to play outside the rules. Just because a team can't skate doesn't mean the opponent should adapt to a hooking and holding game.

It's hard enough to compete against one opponent, it's very difficult to fight two. And refs who allow the rulebook to be ignored become an opponent, whether it makes for good soundbites or not.
100% understand your frustration with inconsistency and there's legit reasoning behind, to why you hear this a lot. Myself, have been right where you stand: use to get frustrated, sometimes angry, and could not understand how refs or NHL situational room could get things so wrong at times. Now I'm feeling like Ghoul from Fallout TV show, when Ghoul answered Lucy's question of...... "What are you?" Then Ghoul replies.... "Oh, I'm you, sweety, just give it a little time". Well..... minus the "sweety" part that is. Myself, also believe rule(s) should be same across-the-board, and calls done in a way, that tries it's best to be consistent. A standard that everyone knows from get-go!!!! But that's not reality, especially today'$ sports environment.

There's more than one legit possibility, to why rules aren't consistently called same. These legit reasons that will be listed below, might have answers your searching for. Hope so, but some of them will have answers that have humans not being perfect little beings. Is there even a reality within real life, where humans use/administer rules consistently the same for everyone? Not 100% sure, but don't think that exist: If that doesn't exist anywhere in reality, what would make Hockey so special to be immune to those human flaws?

Possible legit reasons for inconsistent calls across many sports
  • Human error is legit at times, each sport can have unique challenges here.
  • Hockey refs have to skate while trying to keep an eye on things.
  • This can cause some calls to get missed: refs only see retaliations, angles changing their view, miss it completely looking elsewhere, etc. Much kudos to refs for skating this well at same time, it's very impressive work!!!!
  • Modern Sports is a business 1st, and that business model rules-the-day. NHL and other leagues will game/series manage what sells, bring in most money, extend series for ratuings/Stadium draw, bring ehat entices more eyeballs, grabs most attention, causes most clicks, and promote stuff that check all the right boxes.
  • Extending series for Rating/revenue, helping certain teams/stars get through, there's more business incentives 1st within my quote you sued , that goes much of this. Anyone can go read it.. By the way, thanks for actually reading my long post, not many will give effort past so many words. Some are here just to troll or don't have time in life to read long post. I enjoy reading informative, funny, great X's & O's. etc.
  • Then there's the gambling issue changing outcomes! With as much money on-the-line within gambling world, this is an issue also. Especially when any entity leaves weakened spots in their protective armor. Refs getting paid crumbs compared to others, players witnessing others players making much more, and other weak spots open up the real possibility of compromise. Nah, Dodgers pitchers just have bad luck, and terrible judgement in who they trust, before making HUGE contracts becomes their reality. Money never would cause fingers-on-scales..... One just has to laugh at it all, to tel ya the truth....
  • Suppose sports could use AI, robots, advanced camera's, better camera angles, and other technology to help with calls. But then it's "Who" programs all that? Human algorithms also have possibility of fingers-on-scales. We don't get to see how sausage is made right now within NHL situational rooms. So how will fans know if same algorithms are every used each game? When decisions are made in the dark? That one new football league deserve kudos for letting fans inside that reviewing "The Call" process
  • There's more legit reasons to list but these major ones will do.
Many sports fans will not like these postings, and probably will most likely hit ignore. I'll be creeping back into lurk mode here soon, so no biggy. The thought of ..."Real possibility" sport$ is tainted at times, is to much. But that's not shocking, it's expected (I'd find it more odd, and against human nature, if this wasn't met with resistance). Different truth/realities receive harsh welcomes inside Plato's Cave more than not. No matter who's truth or perception is right or wrong. Some would rather see their known world, as it's been shown to them their whole life. Rather than accept possibility what's been known or experienced, might not be so. Then there;s the fans who witnessed enough to open possibility of sport$ world game/managing to get certain desired outcomes.

Still enjoy sports a bunch! I've been very fortunate to watch favorite teams have insane success. More successes than any fan could ever ask for!!! Maybe that's helped take emotion out of it all, have clearer mind, allowed me to step back, and see sports differently. Who knows, but seeing differently. Still love sports story lines, historical moments, have butterflies before games, and go crazy when favorite team goes off. But at same time: realize room I'm standing in and refuse to put head-in-sand to possibilities. Plus, it's awesome when any player/team is facing #1 BS, that seems to exist, and takes names while overcoming it!! Fans do this all-the-time even without being fan of team they're watching: fans in that type of game might find themselves pulling for team, after witnessing they're getting shafted by refs/league. See ya, and enjoy NHL playoffs, they're the best!

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I wanted to respond to this again, because reading through the conversation I realized that I didn’t say that Kadri’s job is not to control his emotions, it’s to do everything he can to win.

It’s the refs jobs to stop him (and everyone else on the ice) from breaking the rules.

The problem with the refs in the NHL is that they stopped Kadri, but didn’t stop anyone else.

It’s their fault, nothing to do with him
Kadri’s job is to play hockey at the edge and not go over, but he couldn’t do that.

But it is hilarious, leafs can never get over when a ref suspends one of their players, and it’s always a conspiracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Kadri’s job is to play hockey at the edge and not go over, but he couldn’t do that.

But it is hilarious, leafs can never get over when a ref suspends one of their players, and it’s always a conspiracy.

Neither could debrusk

The ONLY difference is that the refs only blew the whistle on kadri

That’s literally it

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
100% understand your frustration with inconsistency and there's legit reasoning behind, to why you hear this a lot. Myself, have been right where you stand: use to get frustrated, sometimes angry, and could not understand how refs or NHL situational room could get things so wrong at times. Now I'm feeling like Ghoul from Fallout TV show, when Ghoul answered Lucy's question of...... "What are you?" Then Ghoul replies.... "Oh, I'm you, sweety, just give it a little time". Well..... minus the "sweety" part that is. Myself, also believe rule(s) should be same across-the-board, and calls done in a way, that tries it's best to be consistent. A standard that everyone knows from get-go!!!! But that's not reality, especially today'$ sports environment.

There's more than one legit possibility, to why rules aren't consistently called same. These legit reasons that will be listed below, might have answers your searching for. Hope so, but some of them will have answers that have humans not being perfect little beings. Is there even a reality within real life, where humans use/administer rules consistently the same for everyone? Not 100% sure, but don't think that exist: If that doesn't exist anywhere in reality, what would make Hockey so special to be immune to those human flaws?

• This can cause some calls to get missed: refs only see retaliations, angles changing their view, miss it completely looking elsewhere, etc. Much kudos to refs for skating this well at same time, it's very impressive work!!!!
  • Modern Sports is a business 1st, and that business model rules-the-day. NHL and other leagues will game/series manage what sells, bring in most money, extend series for ratuings/Stadium draw, bring ehat entices more eyeballs, grabs most attention, causes most clicks, and promote stuff that check all the right boxes.
  • Extending series for Rating/revenue, helping certain teams/stars get through, there's more business incentives 1st within my quote you sued , that goes much of this. Anyone can go read it.. By the way, thanks for actually reading my long post, not many will give effort past so many words. Some are here just to troll or don't have time in life to read long post. I enjoy reading informative, funny, great X's & O's. etc.
  • Then there's the gambling issue changing outcomes! With as much money on-the-line within gambling world, this is an issue also. Especially when any entity leaves weakened spots in their protective armor. Refs getting paid crumbs compared to others, players witnessing others players making much more, and other weak spots open up the real possibility of compromise. Nah, Dodgers pitchers just have bad luck, and terrible judgement in who they trust, before making HUGE contracts becomes their reality. Money never would cause fingers-on-scales..... One just has to laugh at it all, to tel ya the truth....
  • Suppose sports could use AI, robots, advanced camera's, better camera angles, and other technology to help with calls. But then it's "Who" programs all that? Human algorithms also have possibility of fingers-on-scales. We don't get to see how sausage is made right now within NHL situational rooms. So how will fans know if same algorithms are every used each game? When decisions are made in the dark? That one new football league deserve kudos for letting fans inside that reviewing "The Call" process
Many sports fans will not like these postings, and probably will most likely hit ignore. I'll be creeping back into lurk mode here soon, so no biggy. The thought of ..."Real possibility" sport$ is tainted at times, is to much. But that's not shocking, it's expected (I'd find it more odd, and against human nature, if this wasn't met with resistance). Different truth/realities receive harsh welcomes inside Plato's Cave more than not. No matter who's truth or perception is right or wrong. Some would rather see their known world, as it's been shown to them their whole life. Rather than accept possibility what's been known or experienced, might not be so. Then there;s the fans who witnessed enough to open possibility of sport$ world game/managing to get certain desired outcomes.

Still enjoy sports a bunch! I've been very fortunate to watch favorite teams have insane success. More successes than any fan could ever ask for!!! Maybe that's helped take emotion out of it all, have clearer mind, allowed me to step back, and see sports differently. Who knows, but seeing differently. Still love sports story lines, historical moments, have butterflies before games, and go crazy when favorite team goes off. But at same time: realize room I'm standing in and refuse to put head-in-sand to possibilities. Plus, it's awesome when any player/team is facing #1 BS, that seems to exist, and takes names while overcoming it!! Fans do this all-the-time even without being fan of team they're watching: fans in that type of game might find themselves pulling for team, after witnessing they're getting shafted by refs/league. See ya, and enjoy NHL playoffs, they're the best!

Don't disagree with what you said. The NHL has made it a poorly kept secret that equalizing teams, both in a particular game, and in the standings, is their primary goal, as they believe that is the best way to maximize revenue.

And I have gotten older and am more interested in in particular players accomplishing things as opposed to rooting for a team. It has been years since I got butterflies before a game I wasn't participating in, so ultimately it doesn't matter to me.

I just really don't like the "they;re pi$$ing on you and telling you it's raining" aspect to it.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Stop slobbering over the refs and making excuses for them. It's their job to be in the right position so they can have a clear view of what's happening. If they consistently make mistakes, then send them to the minors like an underperforming player. Stop deferring to authority figures.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Stop slobbering over the refs and making excuses for them. It's their job to be in the right position so they can have a clear view of what's happening. If they consistently make mistakes, then send them to the minors like an underperforming player. Stop deferring to authority figures.

This might sound like a stupid question but do we know for a fact that it’s their job to make correct calls by the book? WWE refs wear the same outfits but I’m starting to have my doubts that their employers want them counting to 3 at the same speed each time or seeing every instance of someone pulling out a steel chair and getting rid of it before the ref turns around from arguing with a guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad