How do you feel about playoff officiating? (by letting them "play it out"?)

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
“Letting them play” means the team that is better at cheating has a substantial advantage. I hate it. While it is fun to watch the franchises that dive suffer, the penalties that do cross some arbitrary line eventually usually appear unwarranted and agenda driven.

Just adjust the rules to the game the league actually wants and then apply them.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
“Letting them play” means the team that is better at cheating has a substantial advantage. I hate it. While it is fun to watch the franchises that dive suffer, the penalties that do cross some arbitrary line eventually usually appear unwarranted and agenda driven.

Just adjust the rules to the game the league actually wants and then apply them.
Couldn't agree more, "we don't want to influence the game by calling penalties"

So your going to instead influence the game by allowing slower teams to compete with interfence/obstruction

I see...

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Couldn't agree more, "we don't want to influence the game by calling penalties"

So your going to instead influence the game by allowing slower teams to compete with interfence/obstruction

I see...
That's a generous assessment. It's a reasonable argument that the league's refusal to hold problem refs accountable amounts to criminal negligence due to the threat to player safety corrupt officials present.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

lawrence

May 19, 2012
call it as it is. I don't even care about make up calls. I fone team, made 3 obvious penalties, don't find excuses to call the other team just to f in "make it up" its stupid. Call it as it is.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Sure it is, it’s not Kadri’s job to control the level of violence allowed until a line is crossed.

That’s what the refs are paid to do.

Otherwise the f*** do you need them?

Kadri's job is to control his own emotions. Something he has shown time and time again that he is incapable of.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
It's stupid because:

a) as everyone has pointed out - consistency. When you change the standard for what a penalty is, no one knows where the line is drawn. Therefore, after literally every penalty the player/team/fans are going to get upset because you've let something similar slide before.

b) the obstruction being allowed is actually slowing down the pace of the game because it prevents players from moving freely. As we could see today with the Jets vs. Avs game, when players are skating full force and the speed of the game is high paced then the entertainment is through the roof. You want your big players to make highlight reel moves when it matters and attract people to the sport? Then don't let the entire opposing team grab, hook, and interfere with them in a million ways.

c) with the lack of penalties its easier for teams to hold a lead at the end of the game using said obstruction/interference. And we all know they're even less likely to call towards the end of a close game.

d) injuries. You bet you're ass the dirty scrums after whistles are contributing to players that are already broken down. There's been so many cup winners who have basically bullied their team into submission. Now I think there is some merit and level of respect for a teams toughness but I don't like seeing stuff like Nichuskin literally crosschecking a guys spine while he's bent over and vulnerable tonight. The wrong move at the wrong time and you could paralyze someone over a play like that and end with a Bertuzzi situation. The weird thing with hockey is depending on the result of a play the act is deemed as assault or not even a 2 minute penalty, 'because it's playoffs'. All you need to that situation is call the play. It's 7-5 with a minute left and if you get a penalty you cost your team the game. You bet your ass the chippy stuff will slow down after you set that standard. Except now by choosing not to make a choice, you've actually deciding what the new standard of things you're let go is.

To me the term 'letting them play' is inaccurate, because letting a player play should mean they're not being interfered with, because there's rules against that.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Cool

Now can you state what the refs jobs are?

To enforce the rules. The refs enforcing the rules in a weird manner doesnt mean that Kadri is allowed to be a knobhead. Kadri is responsible for his own actions, kinda like you are responsible for not shooting your boyfriend in the face with a gun if he is cheating on you.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Either call by the rules, or change the rules. That's my opinion.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Playoff hockey is real hockey. Not the soft version the regular season has become.

It's been this way forever. And every year fans get upset about it.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
NHL and other sports are a business 1st now, and refs are used as game/series managers. Many sports leagues today will call whatever game is needed to help their business model(s). NHL and other sports haven't reached WWE fixing levels yet, but when push comes to shove concerning livelihoods, money made, and other factors in play. Money and leagues well-being will win out! Many sports leagues are just finishing up experiencing covid era ,which caused lost revenue (Gates and such) and other financial hardships. Money, ratings, and stadium draw will win the day. Sports leagues will help whatever is selling or best, and they'll series manage for more TV ratings, stadium draws, etc. Plus, if any player/team checks all the right boxes, they're put to the front-of-the-line to get favors. One doesn't have to like this model, that's understandable. But..... one should realize it's an efficient business model to use though. Fingers-on-scales game managing gives better control of product. What business doesn't want this or strives to have this?

NHL fans thinking, with older playoff rules mentality of letting them play. Reminds of American's who defend today's crony capitalism. All because they're misguided with their thinking today's capitalism, ran by monopolies are same opportunistic capitalist world they grew-up in. That mom & pop capitalism of old is gone: been replaced with HUGE corporation$ monopolies now. These corporations could care less about locals concerns, their well-being, will sell anyone out if best for business model, and other factors come into play. Playing by old rules within new form of capitalism will get one beaten down. Best to adapt while doing what's needed within new environment, that has different rules, or one will succumb to change. Same goes for sports world: the sports world that existed 60, 50, 40, 30, or even 20 yrs ago is gone. Sports & who shows them has been to monopolized. Sports TV rating$ rule-the-day, certain story-line$ are more important, players who check right boxe$ are given loving touch. If your team happens to be playing one of chosen team(s) or is chosen one(s), the usual series game managing will be less favorable for your team/players during series. They'll only do so much game managing to extend series sometimes because leagues won't chance certain outcomes. Especially within NHL. those funky bounces that Hockey is famous for can come-into-play then. Not good for those who want more control....

Any NHL team would be best served taking more control of their own fate(s). Like ones does in own life pretty much, or boxer who lost a #1 BS judges decision. That boxer either pouts, or comes into next fight knocking that same opponent out with KO, leaving nothing to human elements. Teams who want more control, have to become a complete team that can play any styled game. Then that team can better handle whatever refs, networks, and leagues throw at them. That's how any team gives themselves better odds of combating this. Easier said than done, and one will have still hit bumps in the road fighting sports #1 BS. Love sports, and there's plenty still to cheer for, moments to cherish, but do realize what money, humans, and monopolies, like ESPN, are doing to sports. Change is certain, adaptation is not.....

Everyone enjoy playoffs no matter all the finger-on-scales moments. It will be tougher road if one doesn't embrace challenges some teams/players face. Plus, there's plenty of others stories, teams, and players to cheer on . Pulling for underdogs or those being done wrong is great, especially when they're against #1 BS being thrown they way. Very good feeling when one witlessness any team/player overcoming those odds.... :P

Last edited:

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Maybe one day, officiating in the NHL will be consistent and somewhat fair, but this is likely not the day. I know this, but yet I still cannot bring myself to settle into it. And I can't wait for called back goals for hairline offside calls or uncalled hand passes or high sticks prior to goals, incidents that somehow to people that have it as a job, cannot be spotted during a five minute review.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I love playoff hockey and a lot of that is they let strong physical play go. My only issue with the officiating is they will pick out some ticky tack stuff they let go the rest of the game. It always seems random.

I'd prefer they just consistently let stuff go and call egregious stuff or obvious stuff like trips, delay of game, high sticks etc. If you've let 100 cross checks go don't call one just because the team is down a goal and a powerplay would be most exciting.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
To enforce the rules. The refs enforcing the rules in a weird manner doesnt mean that Kadri is allowed to be a knobhead. Kadri is responsible for his own actions, kinda like you are responsible for not shooting your boyfriend in the face with a gun if he is cheating on you.

We are talking about the refs being accountable for their own actions

If that game is reffed adequately, IE if the refs did their jobs, the game doesn’t escalate.

You obviously don’t understand a sport like hockey and how these things work on the ice.

If the refs aren’t responsible for their actions, and the bruins aren’t responsible for their actions, what makes Kadri responsible for his?

Take off the “I hate the leafs” glasses for a minute and pretend this was Minnesota and the predators and try to be at least a little bit objective

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The biggest problem is not whether they are strict on calling the penalties or not, the issue is a similar type of play can happen over and over and sometimes it is a penalty and sometimes it is not a penalty. This is actually the problem with NHL officiating all the time though.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
We are talking about the refs being accountable for their own actions

If that game is reffed adequately, IE if the refs did their jobs, the game doesn’t escalate.

You obviously don’t understand a sport like hockey and how these things work on the ice.

If the refs aren’t responsible for their actions, and the bruins aren’t responsible for their actions, what makes Kadri responsible for his?

Take off the “I hate the leafs” glasses for a minute and pretend this was Minnesota and the predators and try to be at least a little bit objective
Team and player doesnt matter: the refs arent responsible for the players emotional reactions. If Tom Wilson elbows someone in the face it aint because Wes McCauley missed a tripping-call. Its because Wilson cant control his emotions. Same goes for Kadri.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Team and player doesnt matter: the refs arent responsible for the players emotional reactions. If Tom Wilson elbows someone in the face it aint because Wes McCauley missed a tripping-call. Its because Wilson cant control his emotions. Same goes for Kadri.

And what happens if debrusk WWF wrestles Kadri to the ice and punches him in the face a couple of times, and then throws a knee on knee hit trying to ruin Kadri’s career and then tries to ruin Marleau career after that?

Shouldn’t debrusk be controlling his ‘emotions’ too?

The only thing Kadri did any different than debrusk in that game is that the refs actually blew the whistle on Kadri and refused to on anything debrusk was doing that night

That’s on the refs no matter how you want to slice it

Reactions: Summer Rose

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
This is charging in the playoffs...

This WASN'T charging in the regular season.

I think the officiating is the worst in professional sports. The inconsistency and bias is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad