How do you feel about playoff officiating? (by letting them "play it out"?)

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Kinda annoying, but I kinda get it.

Playoff hockey is much more intense and physical, I’m okay to let some of that slide. The inconsistency is then issue.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It's horrible, I'll say it again for 10000th time, refs absolutely gave Tampa a free ride through games 6 and 7 in round 1. Call the game by the book, that's it, it's not that difficult. You see a penalty just call it, your job is to make calls not dictate the outcome of the game, let the players decide that.
Agreed. Refs decided that series

Reactions: BayStBullies

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Rules shouldn't change in the playoffs. Imagine the NFL allowed roughing the passer in the playoffs. Especially when there are mandatory things that have to be called like puck over the glass and if they call the high-stick and there is blood its 4 minutes.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I thought the officiating this year was better, at least early on. The "let them play" meter gradually increased as things went on.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'd prefer if problem refs were held accountable and teams had the ability to veto some. McAuley shouldn't be working Leafs games. Sutherland shouldn't be working Canucks games. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter when the refs refuse to conduct themselves like professionals in either the regular season or the playoffs.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I think reffing at NHL speed is a hard job…

…and while NHL reffing has its issues…

…it’s 1000x better than the NFL…

…where seasons are decided on ticky tack holding calls that could be called literally every play.

I see NHL games in real time and sometimes even with 14 slow no angles, I can’t tell if was offside or not.

Refs don’t do nearly as bad a job as everyone says.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Let the teams kill each other..and also the league should keep track of bad calls by refs and what teams they help/hurt. If there's any pattern of helping or hurting a team with bad calls they shouldn't be reffing their games. Sounds crazy but it ensures there's no bias built into their refereeing

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I mean, it’s an absolute joke

Leafs felt forced to trade Kadri (we love Kadri in Toronto), because the refs in game 2 couldn’t control the absolute ridiculously illegal play of the bruins.

Roughing, elbows, knee on knees, interference, high sticks, all missed

And what happens? The game gets out of control and ends in a suspension. That’s the refs fault and they should be fired. The NHL has still learned nothing, and with betting becoming a bigger thing I think they’re going to end up in trouble for game fixing.

How would you feel if you put a bet down and the refs just totally f***ed the game up? Never mind the fans who have been dealing with this bullshit for decades? No one knows what’s going to be called and what’s not going to be called

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
As a fan, I just want consistency in the calls. From Game 1 to Game 7, the players need to know what they can and can't get away with. If they want to let a lot go, then they can't suddenly decide to clamp down on it 3 games later.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

Leafs felt forced to trade Kadri (we love Kadri in Toronto), because the refs in game 2 couldn’t control the absolute ridiculously illegal play of the bruins.

And what happens? The game gets out of control and ends in a suspension. That’s the refs fault and they should be fired. The NHL has still learned nothing, and with betting becoming a bigger thing I think they’re going to end up in trouble for game fixing.

How would you feel if you put a bet down and the refs just totally f***ed the game up? Never mind the fans who have been dealing with this bullshit for decades? No one knows what’s going to be called and what’s not going to be called

OMG, how are those refs not facing any disciplinary action? I missed this game last night, but that is awful officiating not calling anything on most of those plays. I'm a neutral fan and hate seeing the players forced to survive this kind of BS all playoffs. I WANT to see the most skilled teams win, not the biggest bullies.

I especially HATE them allowing hits by a 2nd defender after the puck carrier is already engaged in a 1v1 scrum with the 1st defender. Those are the concussion hits because you can't focus on 2 players and the puck at the same time.

We are going to lose 2-3 players in this TOR-BOS series if the refs don't get their shit together and control the game.

• Haha
Reactions: YukonCornelius

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Pick a standard and call that standard from the first period of preseason to OT of the Cup Final. Anything other than that is just stupid.

Which is why I prefer AI eyes in the sky. Don't give the AI any information about teams, who is home or away, score, or time left in the period. Just the play on the ice.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017

I dont think its the refs fault that Kadri is a knobhead.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
OMG, how are those refs not facing any disciplinary action? I missed this game last night, but that is awful officiating not calling anything on most of those plays. I'm a neutral fan and hate seeing the players forced to survive this kind of BS all playoffs. I WANT to see the most skilled teams win, not the biggest bullies.

I especially HATE them allowing hits by a 2nd defender after the puck carrier is already engaged in a 1v1 scrum with the 1st defender. Those are the concussion hits because you can't focus on 2 players and the puck at the same time.

We are going to lose 2-3 players in this TOR-BOS series if the refs don't get their shit together and control the game.
That’s from 5 years ago, not last night,

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
It’s not just a playoff phenomenon anymore, it’s a regular season trend too.

I don’t know how many games I’ve seen in the last couple of seasons that had 1 or 2 penalties called but I venture penalties are way down.

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018

Lol what? You realize that video wasn’t from last night’s game right?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Using that logic, Domi should have been penalized multiple times last night for his cross checking and dumbassery. Refs were lenient in him!

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Nothing ruins a game like ticky tack penalties. Can't stand watching a special teams battle in the playoffs, let them play through and determine their own fate.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Pick a standard and call that standard from the first period of preseason to OT of the Cup Final. Anything other than that is just stupid.

Which is why I prefer AI eyes in the sky. Don't give the AI any information about teams, who is home or away, score, or time left in the period. Just the play on the ice.

I’m generally against our rush to eliminate jobs and remove humans from the framework of things, but the league has so coddled the refs and refused to improve I’m not sure it’s fixable, not under current league administration.

Bring on the bots.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Be consistent. That’s all. Just be consistent.

They can’t, though, not without training to remove certain biases.

“Scorecasting” analyzes how NBA refs put their whistles away at the end of games, and umps are less likely to call a strike when it’s a 1-2 count vs. a 1-1 count. It’s all about that unconscious desire not to affect the game too much at key moments, which we obviously know is silly in the big picture, but in the moment brains don’t work that way (“Thinking, Fast and Slow” is a good book explaining why we work this way). If it’s a tied game late more is allowed, refs don’t wanna be seen as deciding the game at that point.

And instead of addressing any of these inconsistencies the league fines people 25k for calling bullshit for what it is, so i don’t think we’ll see consistency anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad