Pre-Game Talk: How do you feel about our chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Quite optimistic, even though the long break probably still has left some rust to get rid off..
If they're able to get quality goaltending and beat Chicago in solid fashion, everything's possible.

:stanley:

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Pretty sure they'll get by the Hawks unless Smith and Kosko are both crap.

After that, depends who they get next.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I'm excited to watch. I think we have a competitive team, especially if someone can solidify themselves in the open spot on LW in the top 6.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I say we have 70% chance of beating CHI.
40% chance of winning against CHI + 1st round of playoffs
20% chance of getting past 2nd round
10% chance of getting past 3rd round

less than 5% chance of going all the way

:cool:

forget the cup and just enjoy the ride.
Peak Oilers wouldn't be for another 2 more years.

Pretty random prediction when the road to the finals could go so many different ways.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Anytime you have McDavid and Draisaitl out there you gotta think you have a pretty good chance to win the game. I think we make it to at least to the conference final.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm feeling pretty good. I felt during the season that the thing that was going to kill us come playoff time was how we were running Drai and McDavid into the ground with their ice time, and McDavid never was going to get a chance to rest at all after a rough summer. That's not really a concern at all now. These guys are rested, their crazy ice time during the season means nothing anymore. And McDavid basically just got a summer to train to make up for missing summer last year.

The one thing that does worry me right now is goaltending. Total wildcard. If Smith or Kostko get in the zone, we should be able to do some damage.

Reactions: Oilhawks

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Still believe people and more importantly the players seriously need to focus solely on the task at hand. focus on the first few games of the play-in series. Seems everyone is looking past Chicago which with a rested Patrick Kane and co seems a mistake to me.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I haven't felt this confident in an Oilers team in a really long time!

Comparing this roster to 2017, I feel the current one is pretty clearly superior. We lost some good pieces up front (like prime Pat Maroon and a still ok Lucic), but I feel like that's more than offset by the emergence of Yamamoto and the continued improvement of McDavid and (especially) Leon. I think 2020 RNH is also a vastly superior player to the one we had back then (playing on a pretty ineffectual "2nd" line with Eberle and Lucic). I think he's really grown into his new role as a fantastic supporting player.

On the backend it's pretty similar. Bear is probably = Sekera (at best), but the current Darnel Nurse is a much better player than he was then. If Larsson can get back to his 2017 level, I like our top-4. And Russel, Jones, Benning give us some ok depth.

Maybe goaltending is the only weaker part of this roster. Smith, albeit a very good playoff performer is getting pretty long in the tooth, and Koski is still a bit of an unknown. Still that area is definitely a question mark.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I think McDavid is hungry for a cup and will be at his absolute best. It's up to the rest of the team to pull their own weight.

NHL let’s a Canadian team win the cup this year because it’s an off year with the covid-19 stuff.. so I fully expect Canada to bring it home. Not saying hockey is fake just saying they control it with the refs basically.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I'm the eternal optimist. Oilers look ready.
If you guys are hungry, i recommend the Mediterranean chicken from Royal pizza..
OK Stauffer.
But seriously, that does sound good though.

I'm excited and I think it's highly possible that this team is motivated enough to steam roll the Hawks. I won't be surprised if we make it up to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Honestly, I truly believe we win it all.

We’ve got the 2 best players in the world, Holland got us some depth up front (which is why we struggled the last 2 years imo), and we’re deeper than anyone on the blue line (not necessarily better at the top end, but our depth is insane for when injuries happen). Goaltending seems like a question mark, however, we’ve got 2 goalies who can steal the show. Koskinen is a Vezina calibre goalie when he gets on a roll, and Smith is a playoff performer. If one of them gets hot, they’re going to be capable of stealing games. We just have to hope that both aren’t cold.

Then there’s the other side of it. We have home ice advantage for the entire playoffs. Sure, it’s not the usual situation, but there’s something to be said for showing up to your own facility in your own town. Not to mention that our dressing room is a palace (I’m assuming the other teams won’t get to use it?). And to top it off, they’re playing for Cave. You’re not going to get a bigger motivator than winning it in honour of your beloved teammate.

I liked our chances in 2006 and 2017, but this just feels different to me. It feels like our year to show up and prove everyone wrong.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Honestly, I truly believe we win it all.

We’ve got the 2 best players in the world, Holland got us some depth up front (which is why we struggled the last 2 years imo), and we’re deeper than anyone on the blue line (not necessarily better at the top end, but our depth is insane for when injuries happen). Goaltending seems like a question mark, however, we’ve got 2 goalies who can steal the show. Koskinen is a Vezina calibre goalie when he gets on a roll, and Smith is a playoff performer. If one of them gets hot, they’re going to be capable of stealing games. We just have to hope that both aren’t cold.

Then there’s the other side of it. We have home ice advantage for the entire playoffs. Sure, it’s not the usual situation, but there’s something to be said for showing up to your own facility in your own town. Not to mention that our dressing room is a palace (I’m assuming the other teams won’t get to use it?). And to top it off, they’re playing for Cave. You’re not going to get a bigger motivator than winning it in honour of your beloved teammate.

I liked our chances in 2006 and 2017, but this just feels different to me. It feels like our year to show up and prove everyone wrong.
Good points for sure. Just pointing out that Chicago gets the Oilers dressing room for game 3.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Crawford is back after testing positive from COVID-19, so he's got a week to get into game shape, that'll be tough but if he can do it that makes matters a little more difficult. They need to pepper him with shots and make him struggle.

Reactions: Aerchon

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
ah. That was what I was wondering. It’s fair I suppose that other teams get it since it’s supposed to be more of neutral location

Sounds like the main dressing room will also be partitioned off as well, with some areas not accessible to any of the teams, so that all six dressing rooms are somewhat equal as far as amenities.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I could see WCF in their cards, mostly because of how fast they are when healthy. I don’t see teams being able to lean on them physically until the later rounds when injuries hit.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I just hope we don't come in cocky with a majority of fans and pundits backing the Oilers as the easy victor of this play in round.

Yeah, I just watched "all season goals form CHI vs. EDM" and it's not that inspiring.
We got some PP goals, but not that impressive from EDM. Also there is one where McDavid is stripped, turnaround, and they score.

Cautiously optimistic over here. Over the course of a season McDrai all the way, but #88 absolutely kills us in OT & 4 on 4.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, I just watched "all season goals form CHI vs. EDM" and it's not that inspiring.
We got some PP goals, but not that impressive from EDM. Also there is one where McDavid is stripped, turnaround, and they score.

Cautiously optimistic over here. Over the course of a season McDrai all the way, but #88 absolutely kills us in OT & 4 on 4.
Good thing its not 3on3 overtime.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
I predict that in the series against the Hawks Tip has got to get back to Yam Drai Nuge line cause I doubt that it will work as it is now.
Could see us losing more than one game against the Hawks and I am not so confident in our goaltending as others.
But let's all hope that I am totally wrong and we are rolling over them.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Honestly I'm worried that McDavid won't be able to find a way to be ultra productive in the playoffs. Players have learned to wear him like a jersey during the regular season and in the playoffs there are even fewer calls. I'm worried that the league letting players clutch and grab him like it's the 90's will tarnish his legacy. Drai on the other hand is seems to like it when a player is all over him.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I dont do expectations any longer. Just hope for the best and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad