Pre-Game Talk: How do you feel about our chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
What are your feeling regarding these playoffs? How far do you think we can realistically get?

I am very optimistic. We have McDavid and Draisaitl at their peaks. We have the depth to support them playing in different lines. We have solid bottom 6 depth. Our D is best in years and we have two goaltenders who both can play very well.

I have a very good feeling about these playoffs.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I could see McDeezy mailing it in hard.

This is based solely on the "what are we gonna do....sit around and talk?" quote from his media scrum.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Honestly, I feel pretty good about them. This team has the best 2 forwards in the entire world who are healthy and well rest, the defense was really coming along and the goaltending looks good enough to give them a shot. Are they a favourite? No, but I feel good about their chances when they really get into the playoffs proper.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think there is a really good chance for this team.

McDavid looks great and has a chip on his shoulder. Draisaitl is coming off a Hart trophy season even if those eastern media dbags don't give it to him. All four lines should be solid. The only question is who ends up playing 1, 2, 3 LW. Nuge/AA/Ennis/Nygard for those three jobs is a really great competition. Of course Nuge plays in the top six, but there is no guarantee which line.

The defence is deep. Top four is set. Russell/Benning/Jones/Bouchard/Broberg as your options for the bottom pairing is great.

It really comes down to goaltending for this team. The Oilers don't need Koskinen or Smith to steal a series for them. But a game or two would make all the difference.

Reactions: Oilhawks

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think with the right match-up 3rd round is a distinct possibility.
Don't ask me why, but I don't feel like we can go any further when in reality if you can get out of the first round literally anything can happen.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
It really comes down to goaltending for this team. The Oilers don't need Koskinen or Smith to steal a series for them. But a game or two would make all the difference.

I think this is good thing. Both goalies have something they really want - Smith needs to win, he will do anything for SC and sets bar high for all players, with captain Connor they will make sure there are not passengers onboard. Koskinen is still kinda unproven, needs to show he is regular NHL starter who can be relied on also on playoffs.

They are mentally different, where Mike is fire and sparks, Mikko is cool as ice. Wise coach can use this kind of difference for preparing team against different opponents.

Reactions: shoop

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
I think this is good thing. Both goalies have something they really want - Smith needs to win, he will do anything for SC and sets bar high for all players, with captain Connor they will make sure there are not passengers onboard. Koskinen is still kinda unproven, needs to show he is regular NHL starter who can be relied on also on playoffs.

They are mentally different, where Mike is fire and sparks, Mikko is cool as ice. Wise coach can use this kind of difference for preparing team against different opponents.
Smiths puckhandling may want us to play him against a heavy forechecking team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I like our chances, team seems razor focused and taking this seriously...no excuses about fatigue and injuries (yet...knock on wood)
Connor and Leon looked poised and locked in
everything depends on what kind of goaltending we get, although I'm glad we can look to both Smith and Koski for stops if one isn't playing well

buuuut I'm sure every other team is saying the same things lol

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think we get past the first two rounds for sure.

I'm hearing Neal is looking good out there right now. We remember how good he was when he was fresh at the start of the season. And he's a playoff performer.

I think Connor is going to be hungry to prove himself as a playoff performer as well.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think we can get past the Hawks.

As for the next round, it would really depend. We can go toe to toe with the Knights. The Stars we have a slight edge on.. But if we have to play the Avs or Blues we're toast.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think we get past the first two rounds for sure.

I'm hearing Neal is looking good out there right now. We remember how good he was when he was fresh at the start of the season. And he's a playoff performer.

I think Connor is going to be hungry to prove himself as a playoff performer as well.

I really want to see Neal on the 1st PP at the very least. I actually like how he plays with McD, so sorta hoping we'd see him at RW where he is more comfortable.

Kassian McD Neal
Nuge Drai Yama
AA Ennis Chaisson
Khaira Sheahan Archie

In future years, this team is a RW (please, please Puljujarvi) and a two-way 3C from being a perennial contender

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
One series at a time, one game at a time.

Entertaining group but I wouldn't start expecting the cup just yet.

McDrai haven't hit their prime yet.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
While I am relatively positive about this Oilers team and all the match ups for the first couple rounds at least the layoff just makes everything too unpredictable.

Also. The Oilers were on a bit of downward funk before the break and had not yet really had consistency with our deadline additions.

In a game of inches these things matter. Not to mention the puck luck factor as well.

The long layoff and Covid tainted situation also has me far less excited than usual. We will see what actually happens but I think I'm going to hold off any real interest until when/if the Oilers can at least get past the play ins.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think we win the cup, and everyone will write it off as an asterisk cuz of Covid.
Except they have to win essentially another extra round compared to the favorites who have meaningless round robin games. Wouldint that be a more impressive accomplishment?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I say we have 70% chance of beating CHI.
40% chance of winning against CHI + 1st round of playoffs
20% chance of getting past 2nd round
10% chance of getting past 3rd round

less than 5% chance of going all the way

:cool:

forget the cup and just enjoy the ride.
Peak Oilers wouldn't be for another 2 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad