Tribute How do you feel about Mark Giordano...

What do you see as the likely future of Gio?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
There’s still time to load manage him leading into this year’s playoffs.

I bet Gio is on board with that too.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Right now, I simply hate his game. First went the feet. Than the hands. And now it seems like his brain has followed. The only part of his game that remains intact is his heart. It’s hard to watch this decline.

Reactions: rumman

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Gio's skills are for sure diminishing and his legs are tired, but I will mot say anything negative about him.

He still competes his ass off and does whatever his body will allow him to help the team win.

Blocking multiple shots and mixing it up is a hell of a lot harder in your 40's.

Reactions: Al14

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
a great warrior is near da end .. can play on my team as a 7 rest of year .. and maybe can help out in playoffs too .. who knows

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Gio is much better than Timmins defensively and thats a sad/scary thought though.
Benoit has been okay, but, realistically, he should be our #7
Brodie is almost as done as Gio is, but I dont think we can replace/upgrade either this season save some miracle trade where the other GM has a temporary stroke during negotiations.

this should be our defense:
Reilly - xxx
xxx - xxx
McCabe - Lil

but sadly, the xxx's are filled with Brodie, Benoit and Gio/Timmins
I mostly agree and have posted the exact d lineup before. But Benoit has definitely shown he can play third pairing and plays a playoff style. The problem is that neither McCabe or Lilly are the carries of a second pair so they would need a legit #3 with one of them.

Rielly - TheRightPartner?(Schenn-esque)
True#3(Think Muzzin) - McCabe/Lilly
Benoit - McCabe/Lilly
Gio/Timmins/Lagesson

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I really like the guy but he should be a 7D at this point and filling in if someone is injured or playing terribly. He did great hanging in until now but its time.

Reactions: arso40

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Right now, I simply hate his game. First went the feet. Than the hands. And now it seems like his brain has followed. The only part of his game that remains intact is his heart. It’s hard to watch this decline.
first it's your feet, then your hands and then your friends, sad but true...........

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I like Giordano a lot, certainly can stay in the organization but this year? Seems done, age is a pain.

Reactions: Al14

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Father Time has caught up with him. Great player for the few years before this one and was underpaid for what he provided which is a rarity on this damn team.

Reactions: rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't care about guys coming home to play while they prepare for post-retirement life.

Jason Spezza definitely left a bad taste in the mouth. Came in at the end of his career, whatever contribution, gets a plum role in management, receives training like we're developing one of our own for management and turncoats to Pittsburgh. Like why did we care about this Ottawa Senator guy again?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Jason Spezza definitely left a bad taste in the mouth. Came in at the end of his career, whatever contribution, gets a plum role in management, receives training like we're developing one of our own for management and turncoats to Pittsburgh. Like why did we care about this Ottawa Senator guy again?
it boiled down to Spezza working for team Dubas as opposed to the Maple Leafs, a good lacky is hard to find........

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Too much respect and appreciation for Gio to want anything less than to see him finish his career with us this year. No waiving and no trading, unless he asks.

He’s invested in us, and has been invaluable for on ice coaching our young D, and embarrassing how often he’s the one on the ice with the most give a crap.

He’s earned a place with MLSE.

Tempted to say “like Spezza “, but a pretty bitter taste in the mouth with Spezza, where his loyalty truly lay. Better he left as luggage with Dubas, no need for someone who’s loyalties are so shallow . No wonder he fit so well with Dubas….

Gio deserves to be well respected for his contributions, but he simply cannot be an everyday player for us the rest of the year.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

I won't stand for that - this guy left everything on the ice for the Leafs. Took way less salary then he was worth, and even fought once vs Columbus in the bubble.

He's was working under Dubas, makes perfect sense to me he would follow him.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
There’s still time to load manage him leading into this year’s playoffs.

I bet Gio is on board with that too.
We said the same things about Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds.

With our track record we shouldn't depend on players that need load management.

The term itself has become so irritating. Unless it's 13F or 7D, dump anyone who needs load management.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I won't stand for that - this guy left everything on the ice for the Leafs. Took way less salary then he was worth, and even fought once vs Columbus in the bubble.

He's was working under Dubas, makes perfect sense to me he would follow him.

If he took a little less it wasn’t that much less. The way Spezza left, I don’t see any organizational loyalty at the end of the day. Either you’re loyal to the Leafs or you’re not.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Love Gio. Has spurts where you can still catch a glimpse of that inner Norris winner.

However time comes for all of us.

The ideal scenario for him this year is to slot him at #8 I think. Give more time to Lagesson and rest Gio for the playoffs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
it boiled down to Spezza working for team Dubas as opposed to the Maple Leafs, a good lacky is hard to find........

Spezza estimated earnings $89mm.

I think if you've made that much money you can decide who you want to take orders from.

Treliving would just hire his own "support" staff.

Giordano should remain in the line-up.
He's on his last legs, but does bring some leadership and you know he cares.
Sure, Leafs are just his last hurrah, but he should be able to play it out.
He and Brodie can still help, but will be easy to replace going forward.
Brodie is carrying some baggage he didn't ask for and should be respected for his commitment.

Reactions: BallardEra

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Kinda crazy how there's 40 minutes of Norris Trophy caliber play from Giordano from 2018-19. He's playing the same game you see today, still kind of an old guy playing smart but he's just so effective, especially putting the puck on net from the LD side and things working out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad