Tribute How do you feel about Mark Giordano...

What do you see as the likely future of Gio?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
...right now?

Once the pride of Dubas is now pretty slow/washed up.

Many Leaf fans knew he might eventually play like the oldest player in league. His day has sadly come.

Now it seems like Gio is Keefe's number 7 D, but could he be our number 8? Could he be waived?

What's your feeling?

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Great player and person.
Gave us a couple good years, including some good surplus value last year, but he's now 40 and his age is predictably catching up with him.
Probably stays as part of the bottom pairing rotation, and then retires at the end of the year.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I can’t seem him being waived, you don’t do that to vets especially since Reaves didn’t get waived either

I think he’s an alright #7. He is a good veteran presence and a decent bottom pairing dman if rotated in. But I wouldn’t want him in the starting line up come playoffs

His game has just declined all around and he seems to always put his d partner in awful situations

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Def not waived after the sweetheart deal he took and optics around that, but probably a #7 for the remainder of his career here

Reactions: The Iceman

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Gio is much better than Timmins defensively and thats a sad/scary thought though.
Benoit has been okay, but, realistically, he should be our #7
Brodie is almost as done as Gio is, but I dont think we can replace/upgrade either this season save some miracle trade where the other GM has a temporary stroke during negotiations.

this should be our defense:
Reilly - xxx
xxx - xxx
McCabe - Lil

but sadly, the xxx's are filled with Brodie, Benoit and Gio/Timmins

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
He's 7th on the depth chart for me
Reilly, McCabe, Liljegren, Benoit, Brodie, Lagesson, Giordano, Timmins

Gio is much better than Timmins defensively and thats a sad/scary thought though.
Brodie is almost as done as Gio is, but I dont think we can replace/upgrade either this season save some miracle trade where the other GM has a temporary stroke during negotiations.

Reilly - xxx
xxx - xxx
McCabe - Lil

Absolutely nothing wrong with Benoit on your bottom pair

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
He should have been load-managed from the middle of last season. Seeing Liljegren in the press box while an obviously slowing Giordano played game after game down the stretch last year was extremely frustrating to watch.

This year the situation is even more dire with Giordano's skills in obvious decline. If we're going to get any more useful hockey out of him, particularly in the playoffs, then he should be sitting every third game from here on out, and he should never play both ends of a back-to-back.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
love the guy but he's done , he still has the head/desire and grittiness but his legs are gone , Brodie on the other hand seems like he's forgotten how to play

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Reilly - xxx
xxx - xxx
McCabe - Lil

You find it scary/sad that an NHL veteran, who’s played over 1100 NHL games, is better defensively than a defensive player who is essentially in his Sophomore NHL season, and is barely at 100 NHL games, with long gaps between games?

I don’t know what to say to that, other than I don’t agree.

I can’t see Gio waived. He is a class act and will be treated as such. My hope is his usage is that of a 7D, he retires after this season, and finds a place within MLSE post-retirement.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
He gave everything he had to lead the blue line when Rielly was hurt last year. Did a good job but that seems to have emptied his tank.

He’s on fumes now.
A lot more than just Rielly. Brodie was out too, and Muzzin, and we hadn’t brought anyone else in yet. Gio was a warrior last year.

Really a shame he’s dropped off but it was obvious it was going to happen. Will always have my respect though.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Keefe will keep rolling him out there even though he should be a #7, it's a respect/legacy thing as stupid as that may be.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I can’t seem him being waived, you don’t do that to vets especially since Reaves didn’t get waived either

I think he’s an alright #7. He is a good veteran presence and a decent bottom pairing dman if rotated in. But I wouldn’t want him in the starting line up come playoffs

His game has just declined all around and he seems to always put his d partner in awful situations

And he's UFA at end of season so not a concern.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Keefe WAY overplayed him last season. The repercussion's are showing up now. Add to that the last year of Brodie contract and that's two older guys who the Leafs heavily depend on who aren't close to the players they once were. Father time. Undefeated. I think JT is knocking on that door.
I hope GM Brad isn't that aggressive at the trade deadline. With an aging blue line it's time to take one on the chin this trade deadline. Benoit is a blessing, he is the Tanev we didn't have to trade for. Rest Gio and Brodie a lot. Hope for the best come April.

Reactions: BallardEra

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I'll always respect Gio and what he tried to accomplish here. He gave us everything he had left but father time had already done it's thing. His professional approach to the game is a breath of fresh air in both his preparation and on ice performance. He just wants to win, nothing else matters.

I wouldn't mind seeing him take on some minor management role next season and work his way up the ladder, provided he shows potential of course.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
He and Brodie should be inserted on alternate nights. He's a number 7 or 8 on this team right now. That doesn't diminish anything he's done in the past but he's pretty much burnt at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad