How do we get better moving forward? No pun intended

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Getting scoring here is way more important than balancing left and right handers. But doesn't surprise me, Poile is operating in his comfort zone.

You are operating under the false assumption that KK could have somehow fetched a scoring forward.

I think we all overvalued him based on his sweet contract, and the fact that we assumed because he was trapped behind Weber and Suter and Josi that he was really a top pair D man if he had only been on another team… which appears to be untrue.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Getting scoring here is way more important than balancing left and right handers. But doesn't surprise me, Poile is operating in his comfort zone.

Ok we get a Forward instead. Who's going to replace Klein? Bartley? Ekholm? Who gets the call up to replace Bartley or Klein on the 3rd line? Oh wait, there is no one to call up on D. I guess we could call up Piskula, or Ford career AHL'ers

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I am in the minority, but I still don't think this team as it is, is far off from being a cup contender. It is obvious we need a close to a PPG forward. I don't care the position, what line he plays on, where he was in another system. We need a 70 point forward. Second, we have 2 more spots that need to be upgraded. One is one of Spaling/Gaustad needs to go and enter the better of Watson/Jankrok. The other is Bourque, where I hope Forsberg lands.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I am in the minority, but I still don't think this team as it is, is far off from being a cup contender. It is obvious we need a close to a PPG forward. I don't care the position, what line he plays on, where he was in another system. We need a 70 point forward. Second, we have 2 more spots that need to be upgraded. One is one of Spaling/Gaustad needs to go and enter the better of Watson/Jankrok. The other is Bourque, where I hope Forsberg lands.

I agree for the most part, despite how pessimistic I've been all season, when this team goes out and plays with heart and confidence they can at the very least compete with any team out there, especially with Rinne in net. As the young team we have matures I really don't think we're too far off of contention in the next 2 seasons or so.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I agree for the most part, despite how pessimistic I've been all season, when this team goes out and plays with heart and confidence they can at the very least compete with any team out there, especially with Rinne in net. As the young team we have matures I really don't think we're too far off of contention in the next 2 seasons or so.

Even though I am totally depressed about this season and the current state of team, I, too, agree that the future is much brighter than the current situation.

We are soon going to have one of, if not the, best defense corps in the entire league and a world class goaltender. And if we can add 1 good forward and Forsberg and Iron Hook wind up being legit, we are going to have a very good team.

I just wish we could fast forward 2 years right now....

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Ok we get a Forward instead. Who's going to replace Klein? Bartley? Ekholm? Who gets the call up to replace Bartley or Klein on the 3rd line? Oh wait, there is no one to call up on D. I guess we could call up Piskula, or Ford career AHL'ers

Do you want to increase scoring? Call up Bitetto; 9 G 19 A in 55 games, but -17.

Do you want to increase the speed of the defense and add hitting? Call up Valentine.

Do you want a big body stay at home D-man? Call up Jarvinen, he weighs 236.

None of them are an exact match for Bartley or Klein. I would go with Valentine. He doesn't score much, but he makes the other team keep their heads on a swivel. He hits like Kronwall.

Knowing Nashville, they will probably call up Rodney.:shakehead

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Do you want to increase scoring? Call up Bitetto; 9 G 19 A in 55 games, but -17.

Do you want to increase the speed of the defense and add hitting? Call up Valentine.

Do you want a big body stay at home D-man? Call up Jarvinen, he weighs 236.

None of them are an exact match for Bartley or Klein. I would go with Valentine. He doesn't score much, but he makes the other team keep their heads on a swivel. He hits like Kronwall.

Knowing Nashville, they will probably call up Rodney.:shakehead

Well when Weber and Klein were out in November, Piskula got the call up. That was my point. The actual depth on D is so slim right now.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I happened to look at THN's Yearbook summary of Calle. He was ranked #2 among their prospects for 2012-13 (behind Brendan Smith).

Their "summary": Smart playmaker needs to fine-tune skating.

EDIT: Just realized it was last season's summary.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I consider us to be in year 2 of a rebuild right now. Last year the team picked up Jones in the draft and added a kid with a TON of potential and talent to the blue line. With the trade for Del Zotto I think the defense is set for a few years, and I honestly think they're a couple of years away from being the best defense in the NHL.

Weber-Josi
Ellis/Jones-MDZ
Jones/Ellis-Ekholm
Bartley

Then you have Rinne healthy again in net, with pick-a-prospect as the backup. Hutton, or Mazanec, or sign a cheap free agent with potential. I'm not all that concerned about the backup goalie position. Yes, we saw this year that mediocre goaltending will pretty much kill any playoff hopes of the team, but that's true for most teams and frankly you can't afford to pay one goalie $7m a season and also carry a 1B-level backup. Not in a salary cap world.

So the question marks going into next season are mostly focused around (surprise, surprise) the forwards. After the Legwand trade the current roster looks like this:

Smith-Fisher-Hornqvist
Stalberg-Wilson-Nystrom
Bourque-Cullen-Eaves
Clune-Gaustad-Spaling

Ew. Scoring depth? We have none. So then we have a few interesting prospects, mostly Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Beck and Moser.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that Forsberg and Jarnkrok manage to force their way into the roster next season. That basically fills the roster out since there are already 7 d-men. So the roster would look something like this, assuming all remaining free agents return:

Smith-Fisher-Hornqvist
Stalberg-Wilson-Nystrom
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Cullen
Eaves-Gaustad-Spaling
Clune-Bourque

Now obviously the actual lines are probably not going to be that. But there is at least the potential for better scoring depth there. Forsberg and Jarnkrok should be better threats to score on the third line than Bourque and Eaves, at any rate. And there's always the possibility that Eaves is let go (I think he's a UFA at the end of this season?) instead of being brought back. That would open up a roster spot for Beck, Moser, or maybe Sissons or another prospect or free agent. Eaves is a pretty redundant roster spot at this point - I don't see him bringing much to the table that can't be covered easily by Bourque or another player already in the system.

Anyway, I guess my point is that right now I think the plan must be to let Forsberg and Jarnkrok develop in the AHL for at least the rest of this year (although I guess I wouldn't be shocked if they got a look toward the last 10 or so games of the season either). Then next season they probably manage to force their way onto the roster. Maybe Eaves or another player is let go to make room for Beck or another prospect. Wilson stays at center. Watson probably keeps developing in the minors with an eye toward coming up as an injury call-up or the following season as the possible third- or fourth-line center. And eventually we see scoring lines of Smith-Wilson-Hornqvist and Forsberg-Jarnkrok-?(possibly a youngster to be drafted this year; maybe a free agent pickup; maybe Nystrom so the fanbase can gnash our collective teeth until they explode). And we should start to see some improvement by late next year, probably missing the playoffs one more time and drafting fairly highly, and then competing for a wild card slot the year after that and starting on an upward trend through Weber's prime years as the youngsters start coming into their own on offense.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

this is exactly what I have been saying in the other thread. We are not that far away.

if we could somehow land Vanek or Moulson this summer(and we would be a team who could offer a max contract unlike some other teams who already have a lot of their money tied up) that would go a long way to doing just what you have outlined.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

this is exactly what I have been saying in the other thread. We are not that far away.

if we could somehow land Vanek or Moulson this summer(and we would be a team who could offer a max contract unlike some other teams who already have a lot of their money tied up) that would go a long way to doing just what you have outlined.

I agree as well. We have a very young D which, on paper (so far), should be one of the best in the league for many years to come. It also happens to be anchored by one of the best players in the world. We also have a top-5 goalie in the league. We have a top-5 offensive prospect who should be ready next year, and a decent crop of prospects. Add a scoring UFA or two, and we look really good.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Sign Stastny 6 years 42 mil..
Sign Moulson 5 years 30 mil
(both front loaded)

Moulson-Stastny-Smith
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Hornqvist
Wilson-Fisher-Cullen
Nystrom-Gaustad-Sissons

Stalberg traded

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
(both front loaded)

Moulson-Stastny-Smith
Wilson-Fisher-Cullen
Nystrom-Gaustad-Sissons

Stalberg traded

or bought out, according to NHL.com we haven't used either of ours.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
(both front loaded)

Moulson-Stastny-Smith
Wilson-Fisher-Cullen
Nystrom-Gaustad-Sissons

Stalberg traded

I think we would have a decent shot at one of the UFA forwards but we would probably have to overpay, both in years and dollars

I would offer Vanek 7x9, and Stastny or Moulson 7x7. All would massive overpayments, but we need at least one of these three, and UFAs are always overpaid, massively

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
or bought out, according to NHL.com we haven't used either of ours.

From my understanding of the compliance buy outs, any players who signed new deals last offseason cannot have them used on them. So Stalebrg would stick, or be regular bought out.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think we would have a decent shot at one of the UFA forwards but we would probably have to overpay, both in years and dollars

I would offer Vanek 7x9, and Stastny or Moulson 7x7. All would massive overpayments, but we need at least one of these three, and UFAs are always overpaid, massively

There is no way I'd offer Vanek 7 years at $9m. Pretty sure he wants to go to Minnesota anyway, so let Leipold overpay him and ruin that team.

Statsny I'd probably go after even if it took 7x7. Moulson though? That's one hell of a pay raise for a 30 year old winger who has never once been a PPG player.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
There is no way I'd offer Vanek 7 years at $9m. Pretty sure he wants to go to Minnesota anyway, so let Leipold overpay him and ruin that team.

Statsny I'd probably go after even if it took 7x7. Moulson though? That's one hell of a pay raise for a 30 year old winger who has never once been a PPG player.

Agree on Vanek. With the Isles he only had 4 more points than Legwand prior to the TDL. Good player but not worth a massive overpayment.

Go after Statsny with Moulson as the runner up.
Would be shocked if we picked up any of them tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad