How do we get better moving forward? No pun intended

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
To apply subjectivity by scouts has a place particularly when drafting players. It is further important to be subjective when acquiring players into a particular system, lord knows every player for the Preds is looked at for there two way game. While it appears players for Edmonton in particular top 6 forwards do not need to play defense a lick. I agree there is a place for subjectivity, however when it comes to making the jump into the NHL it is more important to weigh heavily on past performance. Being subjective with Borque, Wilson and Stalberg have put this team in a bad place. There will always be peaks and valleys in performance but a baseline is critical. Expecting a player or a group of players to exceed there career highs to be competitive ahs been a huge mistake this year for this team. While individual down years can be explained on a player by player basis, it is unforgivable what has happened this year. This would in most markets cost the GM and coach there job. It is very doubtful that will be the case here this year.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
By subjectively evaluating talent and how their skills, work ethic, personality and other factors will translate to the NHL. It's what they get paid to do and have huge scouting staffs to do as well. If there was some magical statistical formula, then there'd be no need for scouts and drafts would be done by a computer print out.
Exactly. They're not sitting up there with some scoring correlation chart..

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Looking at the roster we have now and what I'd like to see done or for the lines to be.

Top 6

Smith-Wilson-TBD
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-TBD

Bottom 6
Hornqvist-Spaling-Bourque
Nystrom-Gaustad-Clune

Where do Fisher and Cullen fit in? Maybe Cullen on the wing with Smith and Wilson. Maybe Fisher with the Swedes on the wing? Gives both top lines some veteran presence but puts our best 4 young players in the top 6 to get the maximum minutes they should get.

Stalberg is the odd man out for sure. Trade him for futures.

If we are active in free agency I think we make a huge push for Stastny. I think if that happens you put Smith on one wing and not sure who's on the other wing. You can then move Wilson to the 2C role with Forsberg or Jarnkrok on one side with Fisher on the other. There are a few possibilities but not sure I'm excited about many of them. Depending on youth to produce and most of our young guys over the years have not been able to produce. We need more out of our top 6 for sure and I don't know that those combos work for getting bigger numbers. Even adding Stastny wouldn't be enough. I think we need to add two solid top 6 guys that could still blossom in to top 3 talent but there isn't anyone out there that fits the bill.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Looking at the roster we have now and what I'd like to see done or for the lines to be.

Top 6

Smith-Wilson-TBD
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-TBD

Bottom 6
Hornqvist-Spaling-Bourque
Nystrom-Gaustad-Clune

Where do Fisher and Cullen fit in? Maybe Cullen on the wing with Smith and Wilson. Maybe Fisher with the Swedes on the wing? Gives both top lines some veteran presence but puts our best 4 young players in the top 6 to get the maximum minutes they should get.

Stalberg is the odd man out for sure. Trade him for futures.

If we are active in free agency I think we make a huge push for Stastny. I think if that happens you put Smith on one wing and not sure who's on the other wing. You can then move Wilson to the 2C role with Forsberg or Jarnkrok on one side with Fisher on the other. There are a few possibilities but not sure I'm excited about many of them. Depending on youth to produce and most of our young guys over the years have not been able to produce. We need more out of our top 6 for sure and I don't know that those combos work for getting bigger numbers. Even adding Stastny wouldn't be enough. I think we need to add two solid top 6 guys that could still blossom in to top 3 talent but there isn't anyone out there that fits the bill.

I would rather keep Jarnkrok a center.
The biggest question mark would be a top line LW.

?-Stastny-Smith

Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Hornqvist

Stalberg-Wilson-Fisher

Nystrom-Watson-Sissions

That's a pretty decent lineup if we could get a legit top line LW.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Nothing wrong with having future centers start out on the wing at the NHL level; indeed, it can potentially be very helpful. We acclimated Johansen that way and he's turning out great, and are doing the same with Jenner. And if Wilson keeps up his current play, he'll serve as a good local example of the same phenomenon.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
To answer the thread's question in three words:

TAKE THE BODY

(and that means a whole different game plan, and a roster that involves willing, BIGGER players. This team is as soft as Nutella.)

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
The biggest question mark would be a top line LW.

?-Stastny-Smith

Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Hornqvist

Stalberg-Wilson-Fisher

Nystrom-Watson-Sissions

That's a pretty decent lineup if we could get a legit top line LW.

Moulson. I don't think he would play on that top line though, if we did get stastny. It could look like this on the top line. Moulson with Hornqvist and Forsberg with Smith

Moulson/Forsberg - Stastny - Hornqvist/Smith

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Look for more of the same next year:

One of the chief problems the Predators face in making changes is that almost all of their forwards remains under contract for next season. The only pending free agents are Patrick Eaves, who has been a healthy scratch for the past three games after coming over in the Legwand deal, and Nick Spaling. Spaling will be restricted and has ranked among the team's better forwards this season.

In addition to Spaling, the forwards the Predators would appear of a mind to keep going into next season are Craig Smith, Mike Fisher, Patric Hornqvist, Eric Nystrom, Paul Gaustad and Rich Clune. That will make difficult decisions -- or moves -- on the others. Poile was asked if the fact that so many of his forwards remain under contract will tie his hands when it comes to trying to alter the roster.

Source: Scoring issues still plaguing Preds forwards - http://msn.foxsports.com/tennessee/story/scoring-issues-still-plaguing-preds-forwards-031714

In the article, Poile mentions that the team might be able to make moves after free agency, after teams do not get what they want. We've heard that before.

Poile really screwed us over with the signings of the last two years. Some of us mentioned that they were bad deals at the time, but were met with posts about "back to Predators hockey" and "it's not my money, be glad it was used".

Poile was luckily able to get out of the Hendricks deal. Can he get out of the rest? Oh and by the way, the team lacks true offensive talent in the system. Maybe Forsberg who is having to round out his game and Jarnkrok, who projects to maybe be a second line center.

Hornqvist - 4 more years. His goal scoring is down. Looks to be dependent on other talent.
Fisher - 1 more year. Has looked terrible recently.
Cullen - 1 more year. Washed up and everyone knew it.
Gaustad - 2 more years. Pretty expensive fourth line center for a team who struggles to score.
Stalberg - 3 more years. Overrated player who succeeded on a star team.
Nystrom - 3 more years. Done well for the club. Should be used by Trotz on top lines for years to come.
Clune - 2 more years. More of the same. Team need to evolve past using such a useless player.
Bourque and Wilson having beyond disappointing seasons. Were expected to step up. Not top talent.

Only Spaling and Smith have seemed to do well.

There isn't a lot of hope for our forward core for the next few years.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Look for more of the same next year:

Source: Scoring issues still plaguing Preds forwards - http://msn.foxsports.com/tennessee/story/scoring-issues-still-plaguing-preds-forwards-031714

In the article, Poile mentions that the team might be able to make moves after free agency, after teams do not get what they want. We've heard that before.

Poile really screwed us over with the signings of the last two years. Some of us mentioned that they were bad deals at the time, but were met with posts about "back to Predators hockey" and "it's not my money, be glad it was used".

Poile was luckily able to get out of the Hendricks deal. Can he get out of the rest? Oh and by the way, the team lacks true offensive talent in the system. Maybe Forsberg who is having to round out his game and Jarnkrok, who projects to maybe be a second line center.

Hornqvist - 4 more years. His goal scoring is down. Looks to be dependent on other talent.
Fisher - 1 more year. Has looked terrible recently.
Cullen - 1 more year. Washed up and everyone knew it.
Gaustad - 2 more years. Pretty expensive fourth line center for a team who struggles to score.
Stalberg - 3 more years. Overrated player who succeeded on a star team.
Nystrom - 3 more years. Done well for the club. Should be used by Trotz on top lines for years to come.
Clune - 2 more years. More of the same. Team need to evolve past using such a useless player.
Bourque and Wilson having beyond disappointing seasons. Were expected to step up. Not top talent.

Only Spaling and Smith have seemed to do well.

There isn't a lot of hope for our forward core for the next few years.

at this point, I say don't sign either of the forward free agents we have unless Poile can dump some of the other forwards.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
at this point, I say don't sign either of the forward free agents we have unless Poile can dump some of the other forwards.

I will say this...If we're looking at having Forsberg, Hook, and possibly Beck, Watson, Moser, and Sissons up next year, roster spots will have to be opened somehow.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
With Legwand, Dubnyk and Hendricks gone. How close are we to the floor?

Depends on where the floor is. Hockey Buzz Cap Central has us at $47M for next season, with Spaling, Del Zotto, Ellis, Ekholm all RFA and Eaves and Hutton as UFA.

If we re-sign all our RFAs at around current value, add in a 900k-$1M goaltender, and add Forsberg/Jarnkrok, then we're looking at around...oh, $55M or so? If we take the projections from December of around $52M for the floor, then we'll be a few million off it.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
With Legwand, Dubnyk and Hendricks gone. How close are we to the floor?

If we re-up all the RFA and sign Hutton again as a backup we would be at 56.3 or roughly 14.7 from the cap. That is with Beck, Jankrok, Forsberg, and Sissons on the roster, a roster of 24. Cap floor should be about 53 million. Finding a taker for Stalberg takes us to 53 with what we have.

And this is something we have to keep in mind too. We have to spend some money. We get rid of a Cullen and Stalberg we have to sign a FA to get over the floor. 16 million for your whole top 6 is a nice gift. You just have to make the right signing or trade.

JamestheSame

Apr 18, 2012
Here are my steps to success:

1.) Somehow get rid of Borque, Stalberg, Clune, Cullen, Spaling, and Eaves.

2.) KEEP Hook, Forsberg, Beck, and Watson in the minors.

3.) Refill the lost forwards with others from the minors.

4.) Horribly tank the season.

5.) Draft McDavid.

6.) Rebuild the forwards around Forsberg, Hook, and McDavid.

7.) Success.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Joel Ward currently has 21 goals 20 assists for 41 point which would lead the Predator forwards right now.

This is just mind boggling.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The guy is not a top 6 guy but we could sure use those numbers on a 3rd line. Did we give up too early or just cheap out??? Both I guess

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Here are my steps to success:

1.) Somehow get rid of Borque, Stalberg, Clune, Cullen, Spaling, and Eaves.

2.) KEEP Hook, Forsberg, Beck, and Watson in the minors.

3.) Refill the lost forwards with others from the minors.

4.) Horribly tank the season.

5.) Draft McDavid.

6.) Rebuild the forwards around Forsberg, Hook, and McDavid.

7.) Success.

So tank this season and next, leave all promising prospects in the minors (Jarnkrok won't like that) and hope we get McDavid next draft and a decent prospect this draft?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The guy is not a top 6 guy but we could sure use those numbers on a 3rd line. Did we give up too early or just cheap out??? Both I guess

I'd rather have him than Stalberg, that's for sure. He wasn't all that great his first season there, but improved last season, and now has improved upon that this season. Getting a bit of a bump from PP time as well. Worth the contract, but still a 33-year old mostly bottom 6 guy. Meh...I don't know...

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Joel Ward currently has 21 goals 20 assists for 41 point which would lead the Predator forwards right now.

This is just mind boggling.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Same contract numbers as Stalberg. He plays a good even strength game. Plays on the PK. Plays in the corners. Bad move on our part.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Yeah, it's a shame we don't have Joel Ward now but I don't think anyone really expected him to explode for 20 goals this season. So in retrospect of course it looks bad. I'm not too upset and obviously we would like to have him for that price, especially in comparison to what stalberg brings in for the same pay, but if this just turns out to be a fluke season then it's really not that big of a deal. If Ward becomes a consistent 20-20 player for a few seasons in a row, then it starts to hurt.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
On the main board, there was a question of what would your team roster look like in five years.

Just for giggles, I looked back at our roster at the end of 2010 - the last game of the Blackhawks series. This was our roster:

Arnott, Belak, Bouillon, Boyd, Dumont, Erat, Franson, Goc, Grebeshkov, Hamhuis, Hornqvist, Klein, Legwand, O'Reilly, Smithson, Spaling, Sullivan, Suter, Tootoo, Ward, Weber, Wilson, Ellis, Rinne.

The five in bold are currently on our roster.

This brings up two questions:

1. If we were to go back to 2010 and ask someone to pick the five guys who would still be on our team in 2014, do you think anyone would have gotten all five right?

2. Looking at our current roster, are there five guys you think will still be on our roster in 2019?

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
On the main board, there was a question of what would your team roster look like in five years.

Just for giggles, I looked back at our roster at the end of 2010 - the last game of the Blackhawks series. This was our roster:

Arnott, Belak, Bouillon, Boyd, Dumont, Erat, Franson, Goc, Grebeshkov, Hamhuis, Hornqvist, Klein, Legwand, O'Reilly, Smithson, Spaling, Sullivan, Suter, Tootoo, Ward, Weber, Wilson, Ellis, Rinne.

The five in bold are currently on our roster.

This brings up two questions:

1. If we were to go back to 2010 and ask someone to pick the five guys who would still be on our team in 2014, do you think anyone would have gotten all five right?

2. Looking at our current roster, are there five guys you think will still be on our roster in 2019?

Maybe Suter instead of Spaling, but the rest would have been on anyone's list.

My five for five is Pekka, Weber, Jones, Smith, and Josi

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4