How do the Hawks fix the PowerPlay?

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
The "bomb" is overrated. More often than not a quick wrister through traffic is more effective. What they are missing is a PP QB that controls the flow.
The bomb is another weapon that forces team to plan around it. Interviews from nhl players have said that it forces the pk unit to adjust their plan around it. It adds a dimension to the pp which helps open up the ice for other parts of the pp. pick your poison sort of thinking.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
The "bomb" is overrated. More often than not a quick wrister through traffic is more effective. What they are missing is a PP QB that controls the flow.

Wristers only work when you have someone screening the goaltender. None of our healthy forwards seem interested in doing that.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
1.Trade everyone and start over?

2.Hope you win a #2 or#3 in the lottery and draft Marco Rossi...also sign free agent Austen Keating who never got drafted..but given his numbjers and production you wonder how this is possible...Also song Noel Hofenmayer who Arizona drafted but deckinedcto sign which is a mystery given his production too for tge 67s...

This then would give the Hawks 3 key elements of the top PP in the OHL (and by a lot) ..then sign Joe Gareffa and you have 4 of the key pieces of the drvasti fly goid Po of the Ottawa 67s...

Finally trade several pieces to get another top ten 1st rounder and draft Jack Quinn..Now you have all 5 pieces of that great PP.

3. FINAL step after acquiring allthese great PP guys from Ottawa67s ,is to fire KC and hire Andre Tourigny as head coach to coach his boys.

Voila ...you have a brand new 5 man top pp unit that a actualky produces big on the pp and you have z coach who knows how to coach a pp to real efficiency and threat evryvtime out..unlike the putrid strategy and assemblage JC puts out there.

But of course ...none of this will happen.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

2.Hope you win a #2 or#3 in the lottery and draft Marco Rossi...also sign free agent Austen Keating who never got drafted..but given his numbers and production you wonder how this is possible...Akso song Nolan Hofenmayer who Arizona drafted but deckinedcto sign which is a mystery given his production too for tge 67s...

This then would give the Hawks 3 key elements of the top PP in the OHL (and by a lot) ..then sign Joe Gareffa and you have 4 of the key pieces of the drvasti fly goid Po of the Ottawa 67s...

Finally trade several pieces to get another top ten 1st rounder and draft Jack Quinn..Now you have all 5 pieces of that great PP.

3. FINAL step afterzacquiri g alk these great Po guys from Ottawa67s is to fire KC and hirezAndrexTourigny as head coach to coach his boys.

Voila you have a brand new 5 man top pp unit that a actualky produces big o the pp and you have z coach who knows how to coach a pp to real efficiency and threatceveryvtime out..unlike thenputrid strategy and assemblage JC putsvout there.

Wrong thread 50...

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

2.Hope you win a #2 or#3 in the lottery and draft Marco Rossi...also sign free agent Austen Keating who never got drafted..but given his numbjers and production you wonder how this is possible...Also song Noel Hofenmayer who Arizona drafted but deckinedcto sign which is a mystery given his production too for tge 67s...

3. FINAL step after acquiring allthese great PP guys from Ottawa67s ,is to fire KC and hire Andre Tourigny as head coach to coach his boys.

Voila ...you have a brand new 5 man top pp unit that a actualky produces big on the pp and you have z coach who knows how to coach a pp to real efficiency and threat evryvtime out..unlike the putrid strategy and assemblage JC puts out there.

Yup, that's what everyone hopes, to win the lotto and move up to 2 or 3. Not 1, but 2 or 3.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Every team uses the drop pass but the Hawks are terrible at it. I don't know what the solution is.

Hawks are horrid at entering the zone. Just horrid. I don't know how to fix it.

The D man that is often the only one out on the PP simply can't get an accurate shot through on goal (Keith).

As crazy as this sounds, the Hawks miss Anisimov. He was a big body who would always park in front of the net. When was the last time you saw someone do that? Saw someone create a screen?

I think it largely comes down to Gus and Toews being ineffective, but mostly Cat. The PP stats probably look alot better if Cat was playing at 50% of this ability.

The PP isn't bad, it's horrendous. We watch the Hawks play other teams each night. Regardless of the stats, to the eye test, the Hawks PP is the worst looking in the NHL by a wide margin.

Reactions: KWP

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He can't make the others keep moving.
Powerplay success isn’t always about player movement. It’s about puck movement too, and too often he holds the puck or doesn’t show enough aggression or direct movement, If you just force the seam pass or the shot it’s not gonna be there, he needs to look directly to shoot and really sell it, then maybe slide one over to Dach in the middle for a one T.

we pretty much have the jam play by toews, the point shot by Gus or Boq, Kane shot, or force feed to DeBrincat who probably is gonna rip one off the glass. Need to have a low to high play w/ a right shot in the middle. Need to have Toews with the puck and isolate a defender. Make him decide if he’s going to defend the pass to DeBrincat a cross the crease area or the pass to Dach in the middle.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Hawks PP in a nutshell.

Drop pass to Kane.
Kane gains neutral zone with speed.
Dumps puck off to the left for Toews.
Toews gains zone entry then slams on the brakes and drop passes to the D.

Every. Single. Time.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Hawks PP in a nutshell.

Drop pass to Kane.
Kane gains neutral zone with speed.
Dumps puck off to the left for Toews.
Toews gains zone entry then slams on the brakes and drop passes to the D.

Every. Single. Time.

Way too much rote play.

If I was JC I'd draw it up on the board and then cross it out with a giant X
You don't like what we draw up so...

What do you guys (players) think we need to do on the PP?
They know what to do, at least they should after 20 years of playing.

NOW GO OUT THERE AND DO IT!

Reactions: Pez68

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Way too much rote play.

If I was JC I'd draw it up on the board and then cross it out with a giant X
You don't like what we draw up so...

What do you guys (players) think we need to do on the PP?
They know what to do, at least they should after 20 years of playing.

NOW GO OUT THERE AND DO IT!

The issue I see with that is that, as @jaysoneil said, they have been doing the same bloody thing for ages. I think the players would have a hard time executing anything else--at least without some major levels of practice. That's a lot of muscle memory to overcome.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The issue I see with that is that, as @jaysoneil said, they have been doing the same bloody thing for ages. I think the players would have a hard time executing anything else--at least without some major levels of practice. That's a lot of muscle memory to overcome.

They don't play with any joy on PP, it's like everyone's sphincter puckers up and it leads to no good.

Free wheel with the extra space and extra man, dart down the slot and get a pass. Pass from low to high, bomb away and crash the net.

Toews below the line, pass out to Kane, Toews goes to back post while Cat slides into open slot area and let Kane decide where to zip a pass. JT for the tap in or Cat for a one timer with Toews crashing the rebound.

I MEAN EFFING CMON ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Also, Dach is 6-4 he needs to be parking himself in the goalie's grill. Toews should be playing the high slot role and Dach should be the screen guy. This is PP 101 here. Somehow, the Hawks caching staff has them in the opposite position.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
how to fix the power play?

Fire the coach
Not that simple. They had a coach that won 3 stanley cups and still struggled with PP consistency from season to season. Their PP was completely random, but most often bottom 10. At some point, you have to ask if it's the personnel rather than the coaching.

Kubalik firing one-timers is a good start though.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Not that simple. They had a coach that won 3 stanley cups and still struggled with PP consistency from season to season. Their PP was completely random, but most often bottom 10. At some point, you have to ask if it's the personnel rather than the coaching.

Kubalik firing one-timers is a good start though.

word was the Q had nothing to do with the PP and it was associate coach's that ran the PP.

Not sure what is happening under JC but to be honest I don't think it matters much at this point in time.

I would fire JC and hire Gallant in a heartbeat

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
word was the Q had nothing to do with the PP and it was associate coach's that ran the PP.

Not sure what is happening under JC but to be honest I don't think it matters much at this point in time.

I would fire JC and hire Gallant in a heartbeat
So would I, but it's not my choice to make. Why would Gallant want to coach here?

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Are there any websites that break down the powerplay ice time into time spent in the O-zone vs not in the O-zone? I'd be curious just how much time is wasted merely trying to enter the O-zone and set up.

edit - from naturalstattrick (per 60), Hawks are 10th in HDCF but 21st in HDGF. Taking the ratio of those two, from worst scoring efficiency to best:
Ana (worst, ratio 10.2), Ott, LA, Chi (8.9), Col, Det, NJ, SJ
................(middle teams)................
Edm, NY, Bos, Car, Min, StL (best, ratio 4.2)

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I was watching Kane intently last night on the PP, and a lot of the time he sits way too high , like above the circles. He was wide open, and had about 10 feet in front of him to move up to receive a pass from either Boqvist or Gus, but he stayed high, received the pass and played with it before trying to dish it off else where.

If he was 5-10 feet lower, in the circle, he could have one timed a pass without the goalie having enough time to shuffle over.

We let the goalie get enough time to mvoe from one side to the other because we aren't in good spots to one time the puck. Always receive the pass, look for a passing option instead of just one timing the pucks. Kubalik one timed the puck a couple times, which actually created chances, but those are few and far between because guys like Kane and Cat are always looking for the pretty play instead of shooting it right away.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad