How do the Hawks fix the PowerPlay?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Since our PowerPlay is struggling so much I figured it would not be a bad idea to have a central place to discuss it.

1. Do not try and balance the time between the two units. Keep our top dogs out there and let them play.

2. Change the units up a bit.
  • 1st Unit: 77-19-88 27-56
This moves Boqvist into Debrincat's role on the opposite of Patrick Kane. Why will it work? He played this role previously at times in London and was very successful. This allows the Hawks to take advantage of his elite shot and playmaking ability. This also allows for more movement as Gus and Boqvist can freely rotate. The final reason is that it gives the Hawks 5 players who can all gain the zone well (not Cat's strong suit).​
  • 2nd Unit: 12-17-88 2-92
This is just the 2nd unit.
3. MOVE THEIR FEET AND ROTATE.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Since our PowerPlay is struggling so much I figured it would not be a bad idea to have a central place to discuss it.

1. Do not try and balance the time between the two units. Keep our top dogs out there and let them play.

2. Change the units up a bit.
  • 1st Unit: 77-19-88 27-56
This moves Boqvist into Debrincat's role on the opposite of Patrick Kane. Why will it work? He played this role previously at times in London and was very successful. This allows the Hawks to take advantage of his elite shot and playmaking ability. This also allows for more movement as Gus and Boqvist can freely rotate. The final reason is that it gives the Hawks 5 players who can all gain the zone well (not Cat's strong suit).​
  • 2nd Unit: 12-17-88 2-92
This is just the 2nd unit.
3. MOVE THEIR FEET AND ROTATE.
It's the players. They've only been good at the PP on random seasons where they go on a shooting percentage bender. Even during the Hawks cup run years, their power play was mostly bottom 10 to average. Just my opinion, but PPs are successful with puck movement, and Kane doesn't help that. It seems like the PP is just "wait for 88 to make a play" which doesn't and has never worked. Strangely enough, I don't think they can solve it unless they take Kane off the PP. What makes him great is his patience with the puck, and that is the opposite of what makes a good PP.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
It was mentioned in last night's post game show, but the four players who don't have the puck need to be moving and finding open ice. Make yourself an option and force the opponent's PK to focus on all 5 players instead of just the guy with the puck.

With how predictable and consistent their PP approach is, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's a system issue instead of personnel.

ray c

Feb 9, 2010
get rid of that back pass back entry...that play is so old, and easy to break up.A lot of time is wasted on that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It was mentioned in last night's post game show, but the four players who don't have the puck need to be moving and finding open ice. Make yourself an option and force the opponent's PK to focus on all 5 players instead of just the guy with the puck.

With how predictable and consistent their PP approach is, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's a system issue instead of personnel.
I think it's a personnel problem because they've gone through numerous coaches and have similar results. Kompon, Kitchen, Dineen, Mitell.....Same difference, PP sucks.
If there's one constant over the last decade plus it's been the Hawks being much better 5v5 than on the PP. Their PP has sucked for as long as I can remember, other than the odd year like 2010, 2013 or 2016.(I think those were the only years under Q where the PP didn't completely suck)

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Option 4: A cattle prod firmly applied to the prostate of any player that turns the puck over on the powerplay causing a short handed odd-man rush against.
Let's not get ridiculous.

Marc Crawford trademark kick in the ass.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
They need more zone entry looks...its way too predictable atm..and use the bumper more for one timers. Would like to see Cat there on whatever unit he's on. I like your suggested units a lot, especially double shifting Kane...

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Well, I am fully in on more movement rather than spending 2 minutes looking at 88. I would also like to see a different entry other than the continuous string of back issues.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The power play won't improve until they stop forcing the puck to Kane. Your PP QB can't be the winger on the half wall that hardly ever moves... The PP has to start up top, so you work the entire ice. Kane is an amazing offensive talent, but he's not a great PP player. He stands around way too much, and despite that, commands the puck.

Their power play is infuriating, and Kane is the biggest part of that.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
One consistent thing that has been missing from the power play is a dman that can really fire the puck. Having a bomb on the point keeps the forwards up on the point which can open the bottom. Right now teams collapse in front of the net and take away everything down low.

Having a Webber or Burns type bomb would open up a lot of ice down low for people like Kane to take advantage. They are 1-dimensional and other teams know it.

Reactions: KWP

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
One consistent thing that has been missing from the power play is a dman that can really fire the puck. Having a bomb on the point keeps the forwards up on the point which can open the bottom. Right now teams collapse in front of the net and take away everything down low.

Having a Webber or Burns type bomb would open up a lot of ice down low for people like Kane to take advantage. They are 1-dimensional and other teams know it.

Boqvist?

Reactions: Geoist and d rake

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
Kane is fine on the pp. The problem has been that none of the others have created an opening for a Kane setup pass. Kane does move around but the others need to keep their legs moving at least one of them needs to stay in front of the net for a screen and possible deflection. What do you feel would be the best lines for the pp.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
How many times have you seen him take a slap shot on the pp? 90+% of his shots are snapshots. He’s young so maybe there is hope. But I hope they can get a compliment on the d with a shot that will become a pp pair for the future.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

The "bomb" is overrated. More often than not a quick wrister through traffic is more effective. What they are missing is a PP QB that controls the flow.

Reactions: KWP and d rake

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Our PP is almost constant deferral to Kane. Hawks PP either waits for Kane to do something and when they do get the puck if there’s nothing available the puck goes right back to Kane.

Maybe it’d be better to get Kane off PP1 but split the deployment up a little more evenly.

PP1 goes for about a minute, then it’s PP2’s turn. If you have whatever combo of: Toews, Dach, Strome, Gus, DBC, Saad, Boqvist going as your PP1 without Kane, maybe it’ll force some more creativity and let the individual talents of that unit shine a little more.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How many times have you seen him take a slap shot on the pp? 90+% of his shots are snapshots. He’s young so maybe there is hope. But I hope they can get a compliment on the d with a shot that will become a pp pair for the future.

Over the past 2+ years I have seen Boqvist play 80+ times. He has the "bomb" that you think they need. His shoot has already been clocked at 98 mph and I am confident he can shoot even harder.

Snapshot is more effective most of the time as it gets through.

Reactions: d rake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad