Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Guy Flaming (Oil Kings Colour man and host of the Pipeline show) used to make regular appearances on Team1260 (now TSN1260) and they always talked about "Hockey's Future" website and message boards

Oilfans.com was a small community I was a part of but I wanted to engage with other fans of other teams and found myself here more and more...that was 2004 LOL

I still remember when Lowetide used to post here

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Guy Flaming (Oil Kings Colour man and host of the Pipeline show) used to make regular appearances on Team1260 (now TSN1260) and they always talked about "Hockey's Future" website and message boards

Oilfans.com was a small community I was a part of but I wanted to engage with other fans of other teams and found myself here more and more...that was 2004 LOL

I think this is where I heard about it as well. Interesting.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I completely forgot about Guy, had some good insight on Junior players.

Lowetide was good as well, seemed to be the voice of reason at times.

whatever happened to ”The Warrior”? I think that was his user name?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
September 6th 1997---how can I remember that day? Google what happened that day.

I was in Liverpool and the entire country had more or less closed for the day--only an internet shop was open so I started looking for hockey stuff. Found the world crossing discussion board on hockey and that led me to here

It wasn't the boards I found first it the scouting reports and prospect depth charts. I still miss those

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
September 6th 1997---how can I remember that day? Google what happened that day.

I was in Liverpool and the entire country had more or less closed for the day--only an internet shop was open so I started looking for hockey stuff. Found the world crossing discussion board on hockey and that led me to here

It wasn't the boards I found first it the scouting reports and prospect depth charts. I still miss those
Jay Woodcroft is that you? (anyone who watched after hours will get that reference)

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I was heavily into NHL modding in the early 2000's on DMHN/TBN and heared about this place and how awful it was. Started browsing hf around that time and only took me about a decade before I decided to create an account. :laugh:
Nowadays it's the only place where I can talk hockey since I've no people IRL who care/know about hockey..

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Googled "Edmonton Oilers message board" about 18 years ago when @Cloned was about 5 years old I believe.
I remember clear as day that it was around the time the Oilers were looking to re-sign Petr Nedved of all people who I was dying for them to re-sign and as we know didn't so I just wanted to see what other people thought, saw some site called "Oilfans" I believe which didn't have much traffic so continued the search for a more busy site and HFBoards crossed my line of vision for the first time and my life was never the same again.

I was a lurker for about 5 years thereafter then finally signed up at the beginning of the "Fall for Hall" campaign and many thousands of posts later, still here chatting it up with you fellow hockey nuts.

I know all the talk about how toxic this place is etc. but I don't know what I'd do without it tbh. It's been a big part of my "escape" from real life stuff.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Lowetide was a moderator actually. I remember him going to bat for Horcoff like he was his own child haha.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
A long time ago in my days on the now dead OMB, I had heard posters over there talk about a certain website called "HF Boards." Whenever posters talked about it, they would usually speak quite poorly of it. I started lurking around at times on HF without having an account and I definitely saw why they felt that way. :laugh: I stayed on the old board and had a decent number of posts there (around 1200 or something like that.)

Then when the Oilers official sight killed the OMB, I immediately signed up for a reincarnation of it which was developed by the mods that used to work there. I really liked and respected the mods and a lot of the posters there. The problem was the lack of activity on the new sight. More and more people stopped using it and I did too.

I noticed that there was a lot more activity on HF Oilers and needed my fill of hockey discussions, so I created my account in September 2019 with the same username I had on OMB. The rest is history! There's definitely trolls on here and the mains is a fiery hells scape but I do like close to all of the regular posters on here, even if we don't agree on some topics. It's been fun and I've laughed so hard on here enough times to the point that I'm surprised I haven't developed a chiseled 6 pack.

Random fun fact about me: I had always been known as 94oildrops ever since 2011 when I joined OMB. The spaces and caps in my HF account were the only changes I ever made. Don't know why, just always loved my username and had no strong desire to switch it.

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Came over from oilfans in 2005 to lurk but didn't create and account until 2006. After the lockout and the Oilers traded for Pronger and Peca, I was joining as many hockey/oilers boards as I could find (I was even on the Sportsnet message boards, ugghh) to read and talk Oilers hockey, but it was TOPPEP (apologies for invoking the name... those who know, know) that hooked me in for good. 17 years and about 20 name changes later, this is the last board standing for me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I used to post hockey and any number of other topics on Usenet. Heard about this board a lot. Took years to joing because I didn't like all the avatars, memes, gifs all that kind of stuff. Prefer the printed word and just reading and writing and Usenet was great for that on any topic under the sun. Alas a time where you could say anything and post on any topic. Being that it was my online upbringing of sorts my urge to post on off hockey stuff tends to be insatiable. Its always there in the background being suppressed.
Must not talk about fight game, must not talk about...

Being that this was a moderated and scrubbed place I resisted coming over here for years. Didn't want to. Most other people left discussion boards like usenet. It was change brand or stop talking online. I abhor social media twitting as anybody knows.

I used to post up about Soccer on the Voyageurs board for years. Before coming over here. I posted a bit on Oilfans but it always seemed like a closed shop of opinion. Some guy I guess that owned the site would chide people for posting stuff that wasn't in boot step form.

I never really understood Toppep.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I completely forgot about Guy, had some good insight on Junior players.

Lowetide was good as well, seemed to be the voice of reason at times.

whatever happened to ”The Warrior”? I think that was his user name?
Ice Dragoon was pretty interesting. Had unique views and was a pleasure to read.

Vic Ferrari and Mudcrutch (Dellow) and the analytics ilk certainly were not.

Others like Everest, Reverend Oil, and there were other hockey coaches here too, sorry I can't remember all the names. The coaches were often interesting to speak to. Gave different dimensions and understanding of the game. Being that I'm of Howie Meeker type school of how hockey can be viewed I always enjoyed those posters who took the time to break plays down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad