How did you choose your Jersey number?

Eriktion

Nov 28, 2010
Edmonton
I wear 79 first of all to pay respect to the Oilers as they joined the NHL in '79, and second of all because no one else EVER wears it even though it is such a sweet ass number.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
#57 Because one time during a college basketball game I attended, in the program it said that my lucky number was #57. If they called that number, I would get to go shoot some halftime basket. They didn't call my number.

However, since they told me it was my lucky number, I accepted fate and have used it ever since. I would take a lucky number from a fortune cookie, but they usually give like 5 or 6 different numbers. I needed simplicity.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
I was always number #9 or #11(mostly #11).. When I played novice,atom and maybe even peewee our numbers only went up to #20

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
4. Because everybody who saw me skate kept telling me that I reminded them of Bobby Orr. Old with bad knees.

sqweaf*

#27 When I play goalie or forward.
I loved Ron Hextall as a kid and what made me a goalie.
The number just stuck with me even as a forward or defenseman as well.
Good Old Ron

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I used to switch a lot when I first started. I liked 7 or 17 just because I liked the way the number 7 looks. :laugh:

In one of my current leagues, I thought I was early and was there like 50 minutes before my game started but somehow wound up with picking between the #3 or the #0. I went with 3 because I did not want to wear 0 and the #3 does have meaning to me because I was a big Dale Earnhardt fan, even if it was a different sport. I ended up winning the championship on that team and got a sweatshirt with my name and the #3 on it so now I just wear the #3 across all the teams now because I have the number on my championship sweatshirt that I wear all the time.

bluenote

Nov 6, 2007
I was always 22 (because of Mike Bossy), but that number isn't available, so now I'm 11 (in half)

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I've always liked playing with 23, and someone already had that on my most recent team, so I moved them around and went with 32. I rather like that number now.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I've always been 3 numbers; either 6, 11, or 88.

6 - It's the day of my birthday and the average of my birthday 9+6+1+9+9+2=36/6= 6

11 - It was the number of my favorite Devil at the time, John Madden, and I started really focusing on NHL and major competitive hockey at that time. Also, thats kinda how I play my game. Always a very reliable defensive player, but always got a lot of points. I was always put on the PK and PP throughout travel, high school, and Junior A with my lowest plus/minus ever being +17.

88 - It was the first number I was ever given in competitive hockey when I was around 6 years old. We had a pile of jerseys on the ground in the locker room and our coach said choose one. My dad and I looked through and we chose 88 together. NOT because of Patrick Kane, but I do like his "pass-first" mentality which is what I tend to have when I play. I always have 2x more assists then goals.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
The number 27 chose me. I was given the number when I played soccer as a young kid. I was given 27 when I played hockey at the same age. Then when I signed up to play football, again, I was given 27. When the family moved to a new town, I decided to focus on hockey. My new team gave me 27. I've worn it ever since.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
I've bounced from forward to defense to goalie and I wear different numbers with every position.

As a forward, I wear number 21. Peter Forsberg and Patrik Berglund being the main reason why.

Defense I wear 27, it's by birthday and Pietrangelo wearing it now is a plus.

Goaltending wise, I stick with 31 for Fuhr and Cujo.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
5 - favorite number
23 - number given to me for high school hockey (and 2+3=5)

JalapenoPeppa*

When I was a kid and not many people had their numbers we just did a quick "I-want-this-number!" type of number selection and I picked 27 cause 7's my favorite number and my dad's number is 22. It stuck!

Actually have love for the number 27.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad