How did Ryan O'Reilly fall to the 2nd round?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Same reason why Lucic, Kulemin, Eriksson, Benn, Krejci, Bergeron, and countless other players are drafted in the 2nd round or later. GM's can't predict the future ;).

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The 2nd round isn't even a poor round to get picked in. I don't really understand the problem here. O'Reilly was not a first round talent in his draft year.

The first 3 rounds have produced solid players with regularity.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Yeah, Radar was in the running for the Calder early on, what's your point, he stoped to produce points, but considering his role on the team and linemates he did really good, he was a really good 3rd line center, leader and PKer at the age of 18, I don't know what more can you ask.

And Avs didn't think he was NHL ready at the draft, Sacco said he was really surprised with him and his level of maturity in training camp, so I really don't know from where is this ''we all knew he was NHL ready'' stuff coming from.

Whats the point? Are you serious? What the hell is the OP talking about? Don't you guys ever pay attention the the topic?

A really good 3rd liner, isn't a 1st round draft pick.

Joe Sacco didn't even know a Ryan O'Reilly existed, he's the coach. He's not a scout nor a GM. For any actual hockey fan, we knew Ryan O'Reilly was NHL ready. He destroyed the combine, and we all knew about his hard work. People, just didn't see much upside.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Whats the point? Are you serious? What the hell is the OP talking about? Don't you guys ever pay attention the the topic?

At only 20 years old, he's showing he can be a lot better than just a really good 3rd liner.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Joe Sacco didn't even know a Ryan O'Reilly existed, he's the coach. He's not a scout nor a GM. For any actual hockey fan, we knew Ryan O'Reilly was NHL ready. He destroyed the combine, and we all knew about his hard work. People, just didn't see much upside.

All your posts in this topic reek of having the benefit of hindsight. At the draft 2009, he wasn't considered NHL ready. It was a surprise to Avs when he made the team. That includes those that drafted him.

Destroying the combine? What does that even mean? He can do pushups so he can play in the NHL? If so, why isn't Mark McNeill in the NHL now?

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Ferraro looks like a bust tbh. Long injuries in both his two previous years really stunted his development. He seems to be lacking hockey sense. But the Wings haven't given up on him yet (we keep prospects until they age regardless haha), hes playing in the AHL right now, nothing to write home about though.

He probably will be a bust, but you go back to the 2009 draft or any draft. You pick 9/10 times you pick Ferraro over O'Reilly type of players because of an upside of a speed demon over a hard worker.

Have to understand, that we have to look at the draft in it's perspective. There's no way, you can predict the future outcome, or else we'd all be millionaires.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
Exactly, scouts are not fortune tellers.

And all I can say is I am THRILLED the Avalanche were able to snag him. He means a lot to the team.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

We all knew? Are you serious? Head coach of a certain team doesn't have a clue about his players, are you aware what kind of nonsense are you saying? Radar certainly wasn't considered as NHL ready at that point in time and everyone in the Avs organization was surprised with how mature Radar was, so I don't know where is this stuff that any actual fan knew how Radar was NHL ready coming from the draft.

Also when I was asking you what's your point I was refering to your remark about him falling from the race for Calder trophy, which was IMHO because of the fact that voters prefer points over defensive play.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Ryan O'Reilly is currently leading the Avalanche with 8 points in 10 games and seems to flourish every time he his given an offensive opportunity. He still isn't old enough to drink in the USA - there still is a lot of time for him to develop. I think he is going to come closer to a Mike Richards or a Ryan Kesler (remember it took him quite a few years to get going offensively!) than what most people may believe.

You seem to imply that he was a disappointment after a hot start, but his contributions were certainly positive to the team. He plays stellar defensive hockey (9th in takeaways in the whole league last year and only 23 giveaways) while being very disciplined, taking under 20 PIM in each of his first two seasons. Currently, he is in the top-12 in both faceoff percentage (60.8%) and faceoffs taken. He is constantly praised for his work ethic and is constantly improving - his footspeed was the main concern on draft day and he's certainly above average in that department now. The fans even list him as one of the most probable candidates for the Avs' captaincy!

To the OP: mainly footspeed and offensive upside. Radar is a very good playmaker, but he needs to learn to use his tools - in particular his overlooked slapshot - to create opportunities for himself. That will likely come with time.

I never said that he was a disappointment after the hot start. I'm saying, Calm down and start this topic again, when O'Reilly actually gets a 60+ season. You are praising his offensive greatness after 10 games. The same, 10 games in his rookie season that had him as the Calder favorite. Remember?

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
We all knew? Are you serious? Head coach of a certain team doesn't have a clue about his players, are you aware what kind of nonsense are you saying? Radar certainly wasn't considered as NHL ready at that point in time and everyone in the Avs organization was surprised with how mature Radar was, so I don't know where is this stuff that any actual fan knew how Radar was NHL ready coming from the draft.

Also when I was asking you what's your point I was refering to your remark about him falling from the race for Calder trophy, which was IMHO because of the fact that voters prefer points over defensive play.

Wait, what? A Head Coach is suppose to know ALL the 18 year old kids in the draft? You're kidding me right? Coaches' really don't know what the have, until the kid plays in THEIR training camp. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. He's a head coach, he's there to coach his player's and not, all the other players in the league. Maturity a surprise? Oh my. Watching him play, you must know all about his personalty right? wow.

My points have been always referring the OP's question, "How did Ryan O'Reilly fall into the second round". Following the OP, and stop getting out of CONTEXT.

As a 1st round draft pick, I don't care about his defense game. You pick for offensive upside. Defense can be taught.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Wait, what? A Head Coach is suppose to know ALL the 18 year old kids in the draft? You're kidding me right? Coaches' really don't know what the have, until the kid plays in THEIR training camp. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. He's a head coach, he's there to coach his player's not, all the other players in the league. Maturity a surprise? Oh my. Watching him play, you must know all about his personalty right?
wow.

My points have been always referring the OP's question, "How did Ryan O'Reilly fall into the second round". Following the OP, and stop getting out of CONTEXT.

You're the one saying how every real hockey fan knew he was NHL ready, which is a blatant lie considering the fact that everybody in the Avs organization was surprised that he managed to secure a spot on the roster.

Avs staff knew he was mature for his years, but he exceeded their expectations, that's what I'm talking about.

Halpysback*

He was projected to be a Talbot type at the time of the draft.

Better question is how did Johansson fall all the way to 24

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
You're the one saying how every real hockey fan knew he was NHL ready, which is a blatant lie considering the fact that everybody in the Avs organization was surprised that he managed to secure a spot on the roster.

Avs staff knew he was mature for his years, but he exceeded their expectations, that's what I'm talking about.

Everyone in the Edmonton organization was surprised that RNH secured a spot on the Edmonton roster.

It's just another way of complimenting the kid, nothing more.

Oh yeah, Colorado fan. Here's a better one - Are you not surprised that Landeskog made the team? Whenever a 18 year old makes a team it's a "surprise". Duchene was a surprise.

Seriously, go back to what you said - What is the point of your post?

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
All your posts in this topic reek of having the benefit of hindsight. At the draft 2009, he wasn't considered NHL ready. It was a surprise to Avs when he made the team. That includes those that drafted him.

Destroying the combine? What does that even mean? He can do pushups so he can play in the NHL? If so, why isn't Mark McNeill in the NHL now?

Despite, a prospect being ready, no NHL team wants to rush a player into the NHL.

You're comparing apple to oranges.

If 2009 Colorado was as deep as Chicago is right now, of course he wouldn't make the team. In O'Reilly's rookie season, there were 18-23 year old's playing all over the place.

Destroying the combine? Ever heard of being "Physically ready?". The reason Swed prospects take 2-4 years to make it to the NHL?

KingJet*

How did Datsyuk fall to 6th round and Zetterberg fall to 7th?

Lmao, this is totally off topic, but one day I was thinking what if the Thrashers took Zetterberg 1st overall instead of Stefan, where would they be now, Hossa/Heatley-Zetterberg-Kovalchuk :amazed: how sick would that look, and wonder where they would be now.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Everyone in the Edmonton organization was surprised that RNH secured a spot on the Edmonton roster.

It's just another way of complimenting the kid, nothing more.

Oh yeah, Colorado fan. Here's a better one - Are you not surprised that Landeskog made the team? Whenever a 18 year old makes a team it's a "surprise". Duchene was a surprise.

Seriously, go back to what you said - What is the point of your post?

So now you're comapiring a #1 draft pick with Radar, they've said he surprised them because they wanted to give him a compliment, not because he actually did surprise them :laugh:.

I guess you know better than one of the best scouts in the NHL, you should give him some tips on talent evaluation since you knew that Radar was a lock to make the roster and the same thing caught him by surprise.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It should be pointed out ROR was picked 3rd overall in the 2nd, it wasn't like he missed the first round by much

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
So now you're comapiring a #1 draft pick with Radar, they've said he surprised them because they wanted to give him a compliment, not because he actually did surprise them :laugh:.

I guess you know better than one of the best scouts in the NHL, you should give him some tips on talent evaluation since you knew that Radar was a lock to make the roster and the same thing caught him by surprise.

No, I'm not "COMAPIRING" Reilly, to a 1st draft pick. Any 18 year old that makes a NHL club comes to a surprise to anyone.

Yep, now start talking about the irrelevant.

Radar? Jesus, where do people come up with these nicknames. Radar? Seriously? Cheesiest nickname I've heard in the NHL. One second thought, it's like a name for a dog. Thanks, If i ever get a dog, I'll name it Radar.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Why did he fall to the second round?

Because

wait for it

Nobody took him in the first :D

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
No, I'm not "COMAPIRING" Reilly, to a 1st draft pick. Any 18 year old that makes a NHL club comes to a surprise to anyone.

Yep, now start talking about the irrelevant.

Radar? Jesus, where do people come up with these nicknames. Radar? Seriously? Cheesiest nickname I've heard in the NHL. One second thought, it's like a name for a dog. Thanks, If i ever get a dog, I'll name it Radar.

Have you never seen M*A*S*H ?

arsmaster*

Foot speed and skating issues were the concern.

He was physically mature at the time of draft, so some organizations may have been concerned with his ceiling.

He also wasnt a great goal scorer in junior, IIRC he was under 20 goals, but PPG player.

He may turn into a valuable top 6 option, but for those saying he could be a Kesler...it will never happen....Kesler's game is predicated on being an unreal skater both in speed and power, O'Reilly will not reach this level EVER.

That shouldnt take away from his game, because he is good and still developing...but the quicker you get to the show doesnt always guarantee you have a great career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad