How did Ryan O'Reilly fall to the 2nd round?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm not saying he is a for sure top 15-20 player from the 2009 draft, but how did he not get selected in the 20s?

Jordan Caron
Kyle Palmieri
Philippe Paradis
Dylan Olsen
Mikko Koskinen
Landon Ferraro

I'm not saying any of these players are busts are not good at all, but I would personal take ROR over any of these guys. Hardest work you can ever find. Never gives up on any play, and I literally mean that. Now his offensive game is coming through with currently leading the Avs in points.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
I remember reading a quote about 5 months before the draft in The Hockey News by Robbie Ftorek, where he said O'Reilly's going to be playing for the same team for 18 years, and every other team is going to be wondering why they didn't pick him. I watched him closely at the U18's that year, and I was impressed. I was really hoping he would fall to the Oilers at 40, but at least we ended up getting the "Swedish Ryan O'Reilly" in Anton Lander.

AntonRodin*

How did Datsyuk fall to 6th round and Zetterberg fall to 7th?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
How did Datsyuk fall to 6th round and Zetterberg fall to 7th?

Completely different circumstances. This was in 1998 and 1999 respectively, IIRC; scouting nowadays is significantly more broad and in-depth than it was back then. There were a ton of talented Russian players who went unnoticed due to a lack of attention, and, to be honest, a period in the NHL where big, strong North Americans were the "phase".

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
It's not like the 2nd round's for scrubs, there are always some guys from the 2nd round every year who break through, and there's usually at least one guy who could be considered a star. I mean, is it any more unlikely that O'Reilly got picked in the 2nd than did Paul Stastny? I imagine that any GM who picks a guy in the 2nd round thinks that he at least has the potential to be a 2nd liner/pairing guy and most of them have bad but still relevant odds of being a star.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Wasn't Ryan O'Reilly, supposedly the Calder winner in the first quarter of the season? Look what happened there.....

Of the players listed, the only player that should have been picked, for sure, behind O'Reilly is Paradis. No one knew why Carolina drafted Paradis, and they ended up trading him anyways. Mikko Koskinen doesn't count because he's a goalie. Caron was and is projected to be a power forward, takes longer to develop and so does Olsen, the defenseman. Kyle Palmieri is showing hard work and offensive ability. At the time, I wanted Palmier to be a canuck, but Schroeder fell to us. I still, would prefer Palmieri. Dunno what happened to Landon Ferraro, but he was a speed demon.

We knew Ryan O'Reilly was NHL ready at his draft year, but teams look for upside and when you are dominating physically at the combine, there's a theory that there's not much upside left in the tank. It's not like O'Reilly has put up big numbers yet...

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Wasn't footspeed a concern with O'Reilly?

I believe it was.

I really don't care why he fell to the 2nd round, I'm just lucky he did, Rick Pracey once said he considered Radar as a top 15 pick in that draft and that they were ecstatic to get him in the 2nd round.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Wasn't Ryan O'Reilly, supposedly the Calder winner in the first quarter of the season? Look what happened there.....

Of the players listed, the only player that should have been picked, for sure, behind O'Reilly is Paradis. No one knew why Carolina drafted Paradis, and they ended up trading him anyways. Mikko Koskinen doesn't count because he's a goalie. Caron was and is projected to be a power forward, takes longer to develop and so does Olsen, the defenseman. Kyle Palmieri is showing hard work and offensive ability. At the time, I wanted Palmier to be a canuck, but Schroeder fell to us. I still, would prefer Palmieri. Dunno what happened to Landon Ferraro, but he was a speed demon.

We knew Ryan O'Reilly was NHL ready at his draft year, but teams look for upside and when you are dominating physically at the combine, there's a theory that there's not much upside left in the tank. It's not like O'Reilly has put up big numbers yet...

Yeah, Radar was in the running for the Calder early on, what's your point, he stoped to produce points, but considering his role on the team and linemates he did really good, he was a really good 3rd line center, leader and PKer at the age of 18, I don't know what more can you ask.

And Avs didn't think he was NHL ready at the draft, Sacco said he was really surprised with him and his level of maturity in training camp, so I really don't know from where is this ''we all knew he was NHL ready'' stuff coming from.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

Ferraro looks like a bust tbh. Long injuries in both his two previous years really stunted his development. He seems to be lacking hockey sense. But the Wings haven't given up on him yet (we keep prospects until they age regardless haha), hes playing in the AHL right now, nothing to write home about though.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006

Ryan O'Reilly is currently leading the Avalanche with 8 points in 10 games and seems to flourish every time he his given an offensive opportunity. He still isn't old enough to drink in the USA - there still is a lot of time for him to develop. I think he is going to come closer to a Mike Richards or a Ryan Kesler (remember it took him quite a few years to get going offensively!) than what most people may believe.

You seem to imply that he was a disappointment after a hot start, but his contributions were certainly positive to the team. He plays stellar defensive hockey (9th in takeaways in the whole league last year and only 23 giveaways) while being very disciplined, taking under 20 PIM in each of his first two seasons. Currently, he is in the top-12 in both faceoff percentage (60.8%) and faceoffs taken. He is constantly praised for his work ethic and is constantly improving - his footspeed was the main concern on draft day and he's certainly above average in that department now. The fans even list him as one of the most probable candidates for the Avs' captaincy!

To the OP: mainly footspeed and offensive upside. Radar is a very good playmaker, but he needs to learn to use his tools - in particular his overlooked slapshot - to create opportunities for himself. That will likely come with time.

Kid Canesten

Feb 1, 2011
Ottawa, ON
before the draft, i heard so many things about o'reilly getting drafted in the first round. fortunately for the avs, he slipped. it happens. but i just remember, i wanted the sens to grab him so bad in the second round. but i guess im still happy with our silfverberg and lehner picks.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He was around 15th on Avs list. It's likely he was a first rounder for plenty of other teams as well but they had another guy available they ranked higher when it was their turn.

I think he is the type of player that will drop to the second round. Lack of monster numbers in juniors, perceived lack of speed and it's easy to miss just how driven he is. He has extreme work ethic and compete level but is a pretty quiet guy.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Because GM's and scouts are not capable of telling the future.

Great post.

Very often there is talk that a busted pick is a bad pick and a player that ends up being a 7th round steal is somehow a masterful pick, it's not always like that. The reason ROR was taken after...

Jordan Caron
Kyle Palmieri
Philippe Paradis
Dylan Olsen
Mikko Koskinen
Landon Ferraro

...Is probably because at the time he just wasn't as good as these players. Things change.

JimmyStart*

Completely different circumstances. This was in 1998 and 1999 respectively, IIRC; scouting nowadays is significantly more broad and in-depth than it was back then. There were a ton of talented Russian players who went unnoticed due to a lack of attention, and, to be honest, a period in the NHL where big, strong North Americans were the "phase".

If I had to guess I'd say part of his point was that there are always circumstances because scouting never was and never will be perfect

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Slightly unrelated. I think 2009 looks like a fantastic draft. The quality in the first round is excellent and if anything the draft looks stronger now than it did two years ago. So dropping out of the first round isn't a catastrophe.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

No, not really.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe a perceived lack of offensive upside?

That would be my guess. When I read about the guy he seemed like a nice 3rd line guy who might be able to get 40 points and I think in general teams want top 6 forwards/top 4 defensemen and are willing make a riskier pick trying to get that then go for a safer bet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad