How did Mantha get away with this dirty check on Giroux?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It's weird. I'm noticing a trend nowadays that dangerous hits along the boards are basically ignored by the refs/DOPS. Essentially "go into the corners at your own risk" and if you get injured by the boards/dasher it's your own fault for turning into them. But if you throw an open ice hit, that for sure is gonna get you some mins in the box and a review from the DOPS

Back in the day it was the opposite: if you ventured into open ice with your head down, everyone applauded for the monster hit. Yet there was less grace given for the hitter who checked a guy into the glass coming from 50 feet away..

Reactions: VP

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Remember when Shea Weber only got fined for this in the playoffs?

em3y3c1.gif

There's a reason Z had a history of guys coming after him late/after the game. Sneaky dirty dude during his time.

If you see the :15 mark of this clip, Z essentially elbows Weber in the head up against the glass. Funny how players tend not to like when you do that to them

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I have played for over 30 years and if i saw you or someone else pull that **** in a game they would be spitting chiclets after the ref pealed me off them.
Assuming I wouldn’t purée your nose first.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
There's a reason Z had a history of guys coming after him late/after the game. Sneaky dirty dude during his time.

If you see the :15 mark of this clip, Z essentially elbows Weber in the head up against the glass. Funny how players tend not to like when you do that to them

Not sure about the point of this post is. Giroux also got his elbow up high in the back of the head with an elbow/forearm before the Mantha play as well. So are we saying its a fair play since something happened first?

For the record I think Mantha probably could've got a fine or a game for that but the slo mo also makes it look a lot worse. Realistically it should've been a boarding penalty probably and thats likely why he didnt get anything more

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Little knock knock?

Gudas two-hand slashed a players head. And he was suspended 10 games a couple seasons ago for a vicious high stick to a players neck.

It's not quite apples to apples.

His one this time isn’t remotely as bad as the big suspension. Not defending it at all, but it’s a different league.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Little knock knock?

Gudas two-hand slashed a players head. And he was suspended 10 games a couple seasons ago for a vicious high stick to a players neck.

It's not quite apples to apples.
What I'm saying is, both should get a few games. As it stands, only Gudas will.

The inconsistency is real and there's not a single excuse not to punish Mantha. This isn't like an open ice hit where you have to consider if it's late and all that.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
scummy play, doubt it gets anything though

this is the kind of unnecessary stuff i'd like to see punished more severely than hockey plays gone wrong

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What I'm saying is, both should get a few games. As it stands, only Gudas will.

The inconsistency is real and there's not a single excuse not to punish Mantha. This isn't like an open ice hit where you have to consider if it's late and all that.
well yeah, if you're looking for consistency from the DoPS, you're gonna be disappointed most of the time.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017

This is one of the most hilarious posts I've read on here. "Sneaky dirty" Henrik Zetterberg. He's one of the most respected players throughout the league. Show me a clip of a Zetterberg slew foot or knee shot or nut shot behind the play.

If you watch the whole clip, watch around 40-45 seconds. He doesn't hit him in the head. At all. Not even close.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
lmao when did Flyers fans get so soft. I thought your whole thing was being the tough guys. Your guy got hit, coulda been a 2 minute penalty, but wasn't. Giroux was completely fine, and the game went on and ya'll won it. Seriously what is all the whining about?

Also LMAO at those saying Simmonds pummeled Mantha the next game... at best it was an even fight. Mantha got in a few real good punches in that one.

Goddamn this league is getting soft if so many are crying about a play like this...

Reactions: newfy

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
lmao when did Flyers fans get so soft. I thought your whole thing was being the tough guys. Your guy got hit, coulda been a 2 minute penalty, but wasn't. Giroux was completely fine, and the game went on and ya'll won it. Seriously what is all the whining about?

Also LMAO at those saying Simmonds pummeled Mantha the next game... at best it was an even fight. Mantha got in a few real good punches in that one.

Goddamn this league is getting soft if so many are crying about a play like this...
Being tough doesn't mean you have to take cheapshots but whatever. Anyone with a few brain cells should understand that.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Being tough doesn't mean you have to take cheapshots but whatever. Anyone with a few brain cells should understand that.

I guess I have less than a few brain cells then... hmm. Seems the refs, the league, the players all agree that nothing supplemental should be expected. But OK, at least you are blessed with brain cells.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I guess I have less than a few brain cells then... hmm. Seems the refs, the league, the players all agree that nothing supplemental should be expected. But OK, at least you are blessed with brain cells.
You're probably the type of guy to call elbow to head hits clean shouting "keep your head up" so there's no point to continue this any further.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

That is the weakest "elbow" to justify literally grabbing a dude's head and putting it into the glass.

Also regarding the play of the thread: It looks worse in slowmo, but I wouldn't hate the league at least fining him for it. No need for that kind of stuff.

Reactions: Grimm

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
Remember when Shea Weber only got fined for this in the playoffs?

em3y3c1.gif
Yea significantly worse by Weber. It was unnecessary by Mantha, but if anyone actually watched the full clip instead of the gif, you might see it doesn’t look all that bad and looks like it might’ve be helped along by Giroux.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Where is this supposed elbow from Zetterberg, there was literally nothing from Z here! Also, laughable that you call a very respected clean player in the league a dirty dude!

OT - Mantha should have gotten a penalty and 1 or 2 games for this, as it was a dumb reaction and completely unnecessary on his part. At least he paid the piper somewhat by fighting Simmonds later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad