How did Mantha get away with this dirty check on Giroux?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It's ok because he turned his back into the check... Oh wait, if Mantha turns his back into the hit it's even worse.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I wonder if you've played the game? This won't be a consideration.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I could see it either way, Giroux was back a bit from the boards and was braced with his arm, his face/head does not appear to make contact (so not a big deal).

That said, with the league supposedly taking a hardline on shots to the head and boarding due to the injuries/concussions this should at least warrant a 1 game suspension as a warning.

Enforce the rules or 'let them play' - just be consistent.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
He didn’t get away with hit. Manthas face was a nice landing spot for Simmonds fist.
Yeah, that was nice to see tbh. And that is exactly what happens when refs don't do their jobs. In this case even the DoPS did absolutely nothing which baffles me. Players take action to their hands and it becomes more brutal and violent. I don't think they want it.

Reactions: egelband

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, that was nice to see tbh. And that is exactly what happens when refs don't do their jobs. In this case even the DoPS did absolutely nothing which baffles me. Players take action to their hands and it becomes more brutal and violent. I don't think they want it.

While that play is an example of how inconsistent the refs are, it isn’t specific to one team or player in general. The league has fully shifted to a skill and offensive style game. With “everything” being called a penalty, it creates a sentiment that anything on the edge deserves a penalty, when it may not. That’s why I think some fans overreact on how bad the refs actually are. However, this play warrants a penalty and a potential fine/hearing, but referring to the refs, it wasn’t even called a penalty.

After Simmonds stood up the next day, there’s really nothing to go back on anymore. DoPS is a joke though... you’re right.

The fight was more even than I thought it was, but I don't think Simmons was going as hard as he could.

Idk. I thought the same thing. He did get a good punch that connected with Manthas face and that’s what took him out of the fight. Wasn’t near a TKO or anything, but Mantha put his head down and just backed out.

With the laundry list of injuries last year, I have a feeling that he won’t be going to go full rage mode on some fights. Once it’s done, it’s done.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It's as utterly pointless as Gudas' stupid slash, but much more dangerous. He basically crosschecks him at the bottom of the neck forcing him headfirst into the boards. Giroux's always facing away from him, he's prone on his knees and no danger.

How did this possibly go without punishment? Imagine if Gudas did this?

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Had Giroux been left blooded maybe they would've taken some action in the game already. It's amazing that this game went by and it was like nothing happened.

Actually, it's almost hilarious to see Gudas getting possibly multiple games for his little knock knock on this TB player's head. I'd consider the Mantha cheapshot more serious one. But I guess the lottery balls have already rolled.

Reactions: VP

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It's as utterly pointless as Gudas' stupid slash, but much more dangerous. He basically crosschecks him at the bottom of the neck forcing him headfirst into the boards. Giroux's always facing away from him, he's prone on his knees and no danger.

how did mantha manage to cross check someone with only one hand on his stick? he shoved girouxs upper back and head

also it doenst excuse it, but the gif ignores the moment before when Giroux grabbed manthas head to pull him down to the ice

Reactions: TCNorthstars

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This should 100% be supplemental.

I thought I was annoyed by the lack of call on McNabb, but I am genuinely disappointed the League hasn't announced anything and its looking like they won't...

Back of the head, into the boards? Even if it wasn't that bad, and G was fine... there was absolutely no reason for this play by Mantha and it could've been way worse

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I was surprised he wasn't suspended for a game. If Malkin got a game for a swing and a miss, then Mantha deserves it for actually pushing someones head, who was in a vulnerable position, into the boards.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's a bad reaction from Mantha for sure. The slow motion makes it look brutal but when you watch it realtime you realize he wasn't going full Shea Weber.

Absolutely warranted a penalty. I'm guessing it didn't get anything extra because Giroux was ok. Still a dangerous play by Mantha.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Because it happened to a flyer. Its sad, but when it comes to dicipline, the league officials still hold grudges for the antics the flyers pulled 40 years ago under the bullies tag.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Had Giroux been left blooded maybe they would've taken some action in the game already. It's amazing that this game went by and it was like nothing happened.

Actually, it's almost hilarious to see Gudas getting possibly multiple games for his little knock knock on this TB player's head. I'd consider the Mantha cheapshot more serious one. But I guess the lottery balls have already rolled.
Little knock knock?

Gudas two-hand slashed a players head. And he was suspended 10 games a couple seasons ago for a vicious high stick to a players neck.

It's not quite apples to apples.

Reactions: Mugzy97

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The slow motion seems intended to make it seem worse. How about full speed?

Based on how much its slowed down for effect I'd imagine it should have been a two minute penalty.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He got punched in the ear by Simmonds the next day so I consider this resolved.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I wonder if you've played the game? This won't be a consideration.
I have played for over 30 years and if i saw you or someone else pull that shit in a game they would be spitting chiclets after the ref pealed me off them.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Remember when Shea Weber only got fined for this in the playoffs?

em3y3c1.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->